So Many Regional Edition, So Little Time

I remember the first RE that came out in Switzerland, I remember I bought a couple of them, I thought it would be a marketing one time thing, then I saw them each year in more and more countries. To the point when one can't keep up with them. Some Good, Some Bad and some non smokeable. To the point where brands that no one really cared about 10 years ago, are now collectors items. 

My question is that if all these RE new blends, real blends or do they just put the Edicion Regional Band and all of a Sudden they are worth double. For instance I just recently ordered the new Punch RE for Mexico, at the Mexico City LCDH, the price for a box of 10 is 360 dlls, this is 36 dlls a Stick and they just came out. So where will this end. I have no idea, but I personally think this is a very good Marketing idea from Habanos SA, and they are milking it for all they can. Reminds me when I used to buy Macallan 18 for 50 dlls a Bottle at Duty Free's and now its 200 dlls. 

One last thing I want to add. a couple of months ago, some friends smoked a Por Larranaga PC from a 50 Cabinet 2017, and at the same time we smoked some Por Larranaga RE Coronas Germany 5ta Avenida from 2018. And I will be very honest, the PC from the 50 Cabinet was much much better and they cost a quarter of the price. 

I understand that as a collector we will keep on buying Regional ane Limited Editions, but as for the cost per value goes in my honest opinion more of a I have to have it and please take my money thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toledo1969 said:

I understand that as a collector we will keep on buying Regional ane Limited Editions, but as for the cost per value goes in my honest opinion more of a I have to have it and please take my money thing. 

This gets to the heart of it.  Are you a collector or smoker?  I do not collect cigars- I smoke them.  Speaking only for myself, I find value in regular production cigars.  

When it comes to firearms, I tend to do both.  I have "safe queens" that have never been shot (or haven't been in many decades for some milsurps) and I have shooters.

I don't know squat about wine, so I just buy what's on sale and drink it- from the bottle more often than not since I drink at home and don't have anyone to impress but my wife (she likes the primitive and uncouth side of me).

You can't smoke your cigar and have it too...

17 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

The program done well should be one that pushes the envelope.  That is why I get disappointed every time I see another RA Montesco. 

Perfectly put, in very few words. 

It's very easy to see who put a bit of care+creativity in..........and who don't

7 hours ago, toledo1969 said:

I just recently ordered the new Punch RE for Mexico, at the Mexico City LCDH, the price for a box of 10 is 360 dlls, this is 36 dlls a Stick and they just came out.

To be fair, Mexico's tobacco taxes are quite high. Any Mexico ER is going to be above average in price before it even gets to the distributors.

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

That is why I get disappointed every time I see another RA Montesco.

Yeah, they really are burning that one out. Or vitolas close to Montesco. Lazy and uninspiring. Let the distributors who want to make them good have them.

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Is it all marketing hype?  yes it is!   Marketing at its heart is based upon developing/ fulfilling a market need.   The Regional program has done that largely well to date. 

That's it right there. 

4 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

This gets to the heart of it.  Are you a collector or smoker?  I do not collect cigars- I smoke them.  Speaking only for myself, I find value in regular production cigars.  

When it comes to firearms, I tend to do both.  I have "safe queens" that have never been shot (or haven't been in many decades for some milsurps) and I have shooters.

I don't know squat about wine, so I just buy what's on sale and drink it- from the bottle more often than not since I drink at home and don't have anyone to impress but my wife (she likes the primitive and uncouth side of me).

You can't smoke your cigar and have it too...

Can one be a collector and a smoker too....  I have way more cigars than I can smoke in my life and continue to buy and also have a ridiculous amount of wine.  I don't intend to sell any of either... so does that make me collector or a smoker/drinker or both... When I am done I hope to leave my three children a start on both and likely will given a starter set of both well before I am done... either way I guess it doesn't matter what you label it...

16 minutes ago, wineguy said:

Can one be a collector and a smoker too....  

Of course- I didn't mean to suggest a person is one or the other.  Just saying that because REs and ELs can vary in terms of one's expectations that I myself find value in regular production cigars.  Not just "can vary" but they frequently vary (based on countless reviews of them all).  I think it's great that some people collect cigars.  I enjoy looking at pictures of other people's collection of cigars.  I intend to smoke or gift mine.  And honestly, for no other reason than I have so many other "things" that I collect (firearms, coins, etc).

10 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Of course- I didn't mean to suggest a person is one or the other.  Just saying that because REs and ELs can vary in terms of one's expectations that I myself find value in regular production cigars.  Not just "can vary" but they frequently vary (based on countless reviews of them all).  I think it's great that some people collect cigars.  I enjoy looking at pictures of other people's collection of cigars.  I intend to smoke or gift mine.  And honestly, for no other reason than I have so many other "things" that I collect (firearms, coins, etc).

I am with you... I would mostly rather have a box of Fundadores, Lanceros, or Espendidos than a LE given the same price range and most of what I smoke is way below that level... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zyxwvu44 said:

I really chased regionals for a while, and still chase the diplomaticos ones, but I realized I majorly hesistate to smoke them because of the cost and rarity. I agree it comes down to smoking or collecting and I'm realizing I want to smoke more than collect. Now I'll pick up a single if I happen to see one in a store, but it's just too much to spend $350 on a 10 box.

Having said that, I have found paises bajos and francia regionals to been delicious so far.

Part of the whole marketing thing is Instagram I think. You can't find any pics without people showing hordes of unlit regionals and behike and KSA... You would think everyone smokes nothing but expensive rare cigars if you go by Instagram...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edit: my beautiful regionals pic from a recent vacation for more advertising for you guys

c01c565953c9bf2a33f95fdf6e5ff780.jpg

This is your only option when they axe ALL Diplos except one lol have to chase the regionals to get other vitolas out of the marca. Thanks HSA

Yes the new diplomatic we have in Cyprus looks very good I have a cigar party on the 19th and I will get to test it then! If good I will stock up. I have on of these and see many people post it on instagram and heard is a good stick! Anyone tried it?cd4604964b03e82ac4968cf38f8ea50c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the new diplomatic we have in Cyprus looks very good I have a cigar party on the 19th and I will get to test it then! If good I will stock up. I have on of these and see many people post it on instagram and heard is a good stick! Anyone tried it?cd4604964b03e82ac4968cf38f8ea50c.jpg

That’s a Ramon Allones and it’s not new...

If you’re talking about the Ammunition (what an idiotic name) then I’ve had one and it was alright. Didn’t taste like a classic Diplomatico to me (no paprika).

That’s a Ramon Allones and it’s not new...

If you’re talking about the Ammunition (what an idiotic name) then I’ve had one and it was alright. Didn’t taste like a classic Diplomatico to me (no paprika).

Yes I know I got this a few yea back! And I am on about the ammunition I agree the name is a bit crap in my opinion! I will try it next week see if it's any good

9 hours ago, Tollickd said:

A great stick, but it still needs time IMO. The 30 is a classic - pick it up if you can?