Montecristo - lessons from the review weekend

I love these marca review weekends. They are a great way to look across the different vitolas within a brand, but they are also throwing up interesting comparisons between the brands. 

There were a lot of disappointed reviewers of Montecristo cigars this weekend. Lots of poorly rolled cigars, lots of burn problems that didn't seem storage or age related. Yes some very positive reviews too. But people's experience seemed way more varied than for example the Bolivar weekend. So do we take it that Monte is a particularly inconsistent marca? 

Any other lessons? Of the reviews I saw, I thought Monte 1 & 4 generally did well, and 2 was particularly problematic. Could be a random sampling effect of course. 

• Like 3

I've read that the thought is they make just so darn many that it's a mixed bag.  Especially in 2's and 4's.  Montecristo was my first CC, and still probably my favorite marca even though I've not sampled the whole range.

I think it is wrong to say a whole marca is one way or another based on a small sample.

I smoke Monte cigars a good bit,and have all the numbered sticks as regulars.

It's rare I have a bad one,and it has been this way for years.

I put the % of plugs or otherwise poor sticks equal to any other marca among the top selling brands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aphexafx said:

It's torture to sit out the review weekend for one of my favorite marcas.  Cold > Flu > bronchitis = a month off.  So frustrating.  Totally pissed lol.  ??

:peace:

I almost did the same.  Same upper respiratory creeping crud that makes the rounds every year....  But i ended up burning one last night anyway and writing a short review. 

Feel better soon ??

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

I almost did the same.  Same upper respiratory creeping crud that makes the rounds every year....  But i ended up burning one last night anyway and writing a short review. 

Feel better soon ??

You soldiered on!  Good luck in the contest.  Thanks a bunch and hope you're 100% soon, yourself.  ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aphexafx said:

I'm also a heavy consumer of Montecristos and I would not say that the marca has any more issues than any other.  The No. 2 is well known to be a wildcard and it pays to be very selective when purchasing.  When they're good, they're bloody good.  The No. 4 is made in huge numbers and is also know to be inconsistent, but the No. 4 has a pretty fantastic track record with me personally.  It's a very reliable cigar for me, much more so than the No. 2.

The No. 1 and No. 3 are much more consistent cigars.  The No. 3 is my personal favorite of the numbered lineup.  Maybe one of the most consistent cigars of the cigars I regularly smoke across all the marcas.  The Especiale and Especiales No. 2 are brilliant imo, but I think the price:vitola ratio is too high for a lot of people.  Too bad because they're so awesome.

I don't touch the special edition cigars, but they often seem to let people down, which is interesting.

Cohiba fared pretty rough in the weekend reviews as well.

It's torture to sit out the review weekend for one of my favorite marcas.  Cold > Flu > bronchitis = a month off.  So frustrating.  Totally pissed lol.  ??

:peace:

Same physical condition here...the "crud" and no smoking make for a very boring weekend!

• Like 1