50 year Padron Cigars Not Wanted.

As a Padron lover, I thought this was an interesting article. I wonder if they were 50 family reserves or 50 year old cigars. Maybe they're hammers:

ATLANTA — As most of the New England Patriots began to file out of the locker room, ready to take elsewhere their celebration of winning Super Bowl LIII, team owner Robert Kraft walked in with an entourage. One was carrying a plastic container – the kind you’d use to store old toys you’ll never use again.

Kraft reached inside and pulled out a humidor wrapped in bubble wrap – three to four times around. To him, it was something special.

“I got these from Mr. Padrón,” he said, revealing a rectangular box with a Patriots logo on top. “They’re 50-year-old cigars.”

Mr. Padrón is, presumably, José Orlando Padrón, founder of Padrón Cigars, which began making cigars in Miami in 1964. He’d wanted to give them to Kraft as a gift prior to last year’s Super Bowl, but he died in December 2017.

Padrón’s son made good on the gift, and Kraft held onto them for a year, hoping to pass them out to a Super Bowl champion.

And so here he was Sunday night, plopping the box on top of a folding chair, opening it up and handing the first one to the MVP, Julian Edelman, who gladly took it.

9d4dc22af540aae1d19e744cd4531317 Julian Edelman was one of the few to take a cigar from Robert Kraft. (Yahoo Sports)

“Fifty-year-old cigars,” he reminded everyone around.

Someone wondered if there would be enough to go around. The roster is, after all, 53 deep.

“We got a few hidden in the bottom,” Kraft had said.

And then … well … there wasn’t much of a demand.

Tom Brady?

“No, don’t smoke cigars,” he told a bodyguard who’d taken over gifting duties after Kraft had moved on. “Too old.”

While a few players took one, more declined or didn’t notice. This clearly wasn’t a cigar-smoking crowd.

We’ve all been there, right, thinking we’d bought the perfect gift only to have it fall flat. But, hey, it’s the thought that counts.

Maybe Patrón would have gone over a little better.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/robert-krafts-gift-players-winning-super-bowl-liii-not-hit-051812015.html

• Like 1

Just to play the devil's advocate here...traditionally, momentous occasions--birth of a child, company closes a huge deal, you name it--you might put out a box of cigars to celebrate. Friends/family/employees either take one or don't.  If Mr. Kraft had walked in and said, "Dom Perignon for everyone!" and some of the guys did not partake, would there have been this question?  Now, if he had gone around personally and said to Brady, "Tom, I want you to have a personal memento from me to you in honor of this great achievement", I think that would have been different from having a bodyguard go around with the box--"Cigar from Mr. Kraft?"--under those circumstances I think you're free to politely decline.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Padron 50th Anniversary's are not a part of the 64 line. 

Well, surely, they missed out on a pleasurable smoke.  I've had a few of these in both the natural and maduro.  Every single one has been very good to excellent.  Even if I didn't smoke myself, at the very least, i would've grabbed a handful to pass along as a gift for my cigar smoking friends, a la Mr. Kraft.

Post SB win, smoker or not, I would find it more acceptable to light one and take a few puffs as a celebration than simply refusing. Lighting a cigar is often synonymous with victory or achieving a milestone and it would be great to celebrate it with the man who signs your check.

Post SB win, smoker or not, I would find it more acceptable to light one and take a few puffs as a celebration than simply refusing. Lighting a cigar is often synonymous with victory or achieving a milestone and it would be great to celebrate it with the man who signs your check.

Some of them would rather light up a joint and pour some Hennessy and coke