Oscars. Who's your pick for...

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

If I have to really think hard about what the director or writer is trying to convey, then the film has failed for me. I go to the cinemas to be entertained, not to be educated or sermonized.

I just don't get these arty-farty films. Next you will see a subtitled black & white film (shot on 8mm) trying to get you to contemplate the existentialism of a cake with green icing, that had been left out in the rain by an ex-girlfriend who wore a yellow dress, and the melancholy felt by the lead actor who cannot remember how to create the magnificence of that cake. The film will probably star Scarlett Johansson as "The Ex" (only seen in colourised, grainy flashbacks), Shia Lebeouf as "The Melancholy Man", and Johnny Depp as "The Cake".

Aah yes...memories, sweet memories! ?

P.S. You're singing this next Havanathon! ?

I think you have to look at the life cycle of the art form. Film as a art form is old and done. When films were at their peak the most popular films were also the greatest works of art. The Wizard of Oz is a great example. When the art form grows old it divides into popular entertainment for the masses and artsy elitist pieces for the critics. Think super hearo movies vs last year’s best film Moonlight. So, the Oscars are irrelevant and a waste of time. 

I love award shows, I miss Billy Crystal hosting though. I particularly like the Sag & People's Choice awards, but the Oscars have always been my favorite up until a few years ago when it's become all political. I still watch them though, and I TRY to see all the films that are nominated, but like a lot of you the films that do get the awards are not that great Hello MOONLIGHT I'm looking at you, and the one about the boy by Linklater where they filmed for over 20yrs or something with Patricia Arquette & Ethan Hawke, man that movie was BORING!

The ones I have seen this year:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Loved it! Will it win? probably not

Black Panther - Really liked it. Will it win? Nope

A Star Is Born - I liked it, it got kinda weird in the middle (you know what I'm talking about) I was impressed by both Cooper & Gaga. Will it win? Probably not

Incredibles 2 - Really enjoyed it. Will it win? Nope

Isle Of Dogs - Loved it! Will it win? Nope, too weird.

Avengers: Infinity War - Liked it. Will it win? Possible

First Man - Liked it, quite slow, but it was a true story, so had to endure. Will it win? Doubtful  

Ready Player One - HATED it. Will it win? Nope too cheesy even for Spielberg

Solo: A Star Wars Story - Really liked it. Will it win? Nope, the Oscars always snub SW

Who will win (my predictions)

Best Picture - Roma

Best Actor - Rami Malek

Best Actress  - Yalitza Aparicio

Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali 

Best Supporting Actress - Regina King 

Best Animated - Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron 

Best Score - Marc Shaiman 

Best Screenplay - Um Probably Green Book since it's nominated 3x's in the same category (????)

Best Adapted Screenplay - BlackKkKlansman (see above) 

Cinematography -  Roma

Best Song - Shallow

Best Visual Effects - First Man 

Best Costume - Black Panther

Best Sound - Black Panther 

Best Editing - Vice

Best Production Design - Mary Poppins Returns

I really want to see Vice, Green Book & BlacKkKlansman 
  • Like 2

Black Panther for best picture!   Clearly a cinematic masterpiece, right up there with the likes of Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Godfather.  Obviously a merit-based choice!!  Tried to watch it the other night and wanted to like it.  Almost unwatchable!  I wonder why Spider-Man (2002) wasn't nominated back in the day?!? 

• Haha 1