Ramon Allones Short Perfectos ER Italia, OPG SEP 14 FFR

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

The immediately striking thing about the Short Perfectos is the wrapper. It's attractive - silky smooth, veinless, bright tawny colorado claro in color. But it's simply very much lighter than anything I've seen on a good Ramon Allones, whether regional or regular production. It looks like the wrapper from a very good Cohiba.

The aroma at cold is very, very faint. Off the foot, I can detect a bit more - some generic, light wet hay. It lights perfectly, giving an easy, consistent draw and good smoke output. The ash is, as expected, flaky and gray.

IMG_20190126_221342.thumb.jpg.5400c5ea9c3bfcba2d3ccc371f9ac7a5.jpg

The smoke starts fairly mild. It's very pleasant, very easy, and not a hint of harshness or inbalance. It just takes about an inch for the profile to open up. Early on, it's simply toasted bread and nutty, with a bit of white pepper on the retrohale.

By the midpoint, those flavors have deepened, taking on a malt and roasted chestnut character. The white pepper remains in the retrohale, and the aroma off the foot has a nice sour and salty twang.

The performance of has been uniformly excellent.

The final third opens with a sudden hit of sharp, sweet cherry that reminds me, weirdly, of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. That's definitely the first time I've ever written that sentence in a cigar review.

By the time the burn gets to the secondary band, the cherry has become much creamier, and a distinct sugar note is hitting the nose.

The wood base flavor picks up some char and reasserts itself in the last inch and a half, which is where I set it down.

At the end, the Short Perfectos is a very unusual smoke. It shows some flavors that I've never noticed in any cigar before, and none of the typical Ramon Allones character. Nonetheless, it was a joy to smoke and more than kept my attention. Now I only wish I had a few more. :cigar:

Excellent review.  Hints of Cherry Garcia!?  Lucky you!  Rarely a LE or regional release catches my eye and this was definitely one of them.  They are really striking cigars and I love love love those bands.  And they were co-released in a beautiful limited edition 40 count humidor.  I could never afford a special release humidor, and if I could I would never justify it, BUT I'm really fond of the tradition.