FOH Xmas & New Year Review Comp 2018 MSU OCT 18 La Gloria Cubana Orgullosos RE Suiza

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

I usually begin reviews of La Gloria Cubana by pointing out my general lack of knowledge and experience with the marca, but at this point I've smoked enough LGC that the usual caveat isn't exactly true anymore. But I will say that what I have experienced has been very scattered: a 1998 Sabrosos, 10 - 12 year old Medaille d'Or No. 4s, and the Serie D No. 5 Spanish regional. Each has been different for various reasons, so I still don't think I have a great sense of what the La Gloria DNA really is.

But that didn't stop me from jumping on the Orgullosos. It's a 109 and a Swiss regional. That's good enough to get my attention.

I'm presenting this review less as an evaluation of the cigar itself, and more as a PSA for anyone considering chasing these because of the vitola, or their potential on the secondary market. This is, I think, the youngest Habano I've ever smoked - less than three months from the rolling table to my lighter. So this review is done with a very large grain of salt, and is focused more on potential than on performance.

That said, the Orgullosos is a very good looking cigar. The wrapper is a bright, tawny colorado claro color. It's very smooth in texture with almost no tooth. There are no large veins, the roll is perfectly tight, and construction feels perfect - firm and only very slightly springy.

The aroma at cold is very mild, but smells of new leather, like opening a box of a new pair of oxfords. Surprisingly, there is no aroma at all off the foot.

It ignites very well, quickly and easily, and produces a very satisfyingly firm draw. Smoke output is medium, both on the draw and off the foot. The ash is dead even, flaky, and almost pure white.

IMG_20190106_153017.thumb.jpg.2a436527d2aab631d1a4aada85f6412a.jpg

The profile starts off with a woody, campfire kind of base, with a sharp fruit sweetness that reminds me of fruit flavored bubble gum. It's that specific sweetness that I most associate with La Gloria. There's a pleasant bit of white pepper on the retrohale.

By the time the first ash is tapped off, that early smokey wood base is gone, and a deep Cuban twang has replaced it - very savory and tangy. It almost overwhelms the fruit notes, but those are still clear in the aroma.

The performance of the Orgullosos has been phenomenal; I simply could not have hoped for anything better. Perfect.

Toward the end of the second third and into the home stretch, the flavors haven't changed again. I don't mind at all though, since it's a very enjoyable profile.

Nearing the band, the smoke finally begins to show just a hint of char. This turns out to be easily remedied, however, by just slowing my draws. That's a simple enough fix because the construction and burn have been so flawless.

Considering that this cigar was on the rollers table less than three months ago, I am incredibly surprised and impressed with both the performance and the depth of flavor.

I can't find a single fault with the Orgullosos, even at this extremely young age. I suspect we'll all be chasing these beauties for the next five to 10 years. Buckle up, my friends. It's gonna be quite a ride.