FOH Xmas & New Year Review Comp 2018 LUB DIC 14 Sancho Panza Eslavo RE Serbia

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

The Eslavo was something of white whale for me. I love the 109 vitola as a way of celebrating and elevating the double corona, which - along with churchills - are my favorite cigars to smoke. This single was a gift from an exceptionally generous BOTL here and has been acclimatizing in my humidor for some nine months.

In keeping with my tradition of starting each year by smoking a unicorn, it's time to burn what is likely the only Eslavo I'll ever enjoy.

The wrapper is slightly unusual - it's a rich colorado maduro color, thick and toothy. The seams are tight and there's just a single large vein circling the mid-section.

The aroma at cold is a faint barnyard, but a mild and distinct cocoa powder note comes off the foot. Construction feels excellent, consistent and firm throughout. It ignites perfectly, producing billowing smoke off the foot, an ideal, firm draw, and a tidy white stack of dimes ash.

IMG_20190105_135134.thumb.jpg.b270791677118a51af39cdee6cd9b07a.jpg

The palate is immediately hit with a light, savory leather and walnut combination. It also displays the flavors characteristic of well-aged Cuban tobacco: sweet truffle and mineral. A retrohale produces a sensation of lightly peppered chestnuts. And the aroma of the copious smoke from the foot has an incredible floral note that I can't quite put my finger on.

Into the second third, the savory aspect builds to the characteristic Sancho Panza sea salt and driftwood. It retains the sweet truffle flavor, but the sweetness has receded a good bit.

The performance has been absolutely impeccable throughout - flawless draw, and not so much as a waver in the combustion.

The floral note from the foot keeps flashing in and out; it reminds me of a cologne with amber and bergamot that I used to use. Whatever it is, it's fantastic.

The last third sees the dissipation of the salt and sweet notes, leaving behind a heavier, more straightforward wood character. There's still plenty of salt and white pepper on the retrohale though. The last inch and a half or so begins to pick up just a bit of char in the wood note.

While the Sancho profile doesn't quite speak to me the way Punch or Quai d'Orsay does, I can't imagine a much better presentation of it. This is a remarkable cigar that deserves its reputation.