My day at Port of Falmouth, Jamaica LCDH

What a fantastic and enriching experience for your vacation. So nice when you make human connections like this abroad. 

I am insanely jealous of the TLT. How many of those boxes did you pick up? 

• Thanks 1

*I didn't know there was  LCDH in Jamaica...:surprised:   Never saw one referred to there, either.  **Went back and read the opening article a little closer; and now see that it just opened about 7 years ago. Nice! Really nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

What a fantastic and enriching experience for your vacation. So nice when you make human connections like this abroad. 

I am insanely jealous of the TLT. How many of those boxes did you pick up? 

Boxes? I wish...you should see the insane laws for duties levied for bringing back tobacco to Australia. No, I had to settle for a 1/3 of a box, on account of the fact that I pay enough tax as an Australian Citizen, both for my income and my cigars!

What I also found interesting in the shop was the way the shelves were stocked. Maximum space was given to Romeo y Julieta, Cohiba, Montecristo and Partagas because that is what sells. H.Upmann, which is the most popular marca amongst our members based on a few polls in the last few years, barely takes up 1/4 of the space Cohiba takes up. I guess that's the reality. Only a few marcas account for the majority of sales. Of course, this is not the case for us enthusiasts.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 12:21 AM, GrouchoMarx said:

I'll hitting that place in less than 3 weeks! Looking forward to it! (our first port on our cruise)

What were the selections and prices like?

The best answer to this question is to say that the prices are higher than on-line options, in general, yet still cheaper than the tax-affected prices we are used to in Australia and Canada. If you find some hard-to-find gems, I think you'll be satisfied, such as the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes sticks still being available, for example.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

This was a great read! Thank you for your feedback on this location. I am relatively new to Cuban cigars (I'm American) and will be visiting Falmouth in 1 month. Could I possibly trouble you for some recommendations on purchases? I was looking at picking up a couple boxes.
I've had a limited number of CC at this point but greatly enjoy the Monte Open series, Quai d'Orsay, and Bolivar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brainninja said:

This was a great read! Thank you for your feedback on this location. I am relatively new to Cuban cigars (I'm American) and will be visiting Falmouth in 1 month. Could I possibly trouble you for some recommendations on purchases? I was looking at picking up a couple boxes.
I've had a limited number of CC at this point but greatly enjoy the Monte Open series, Quai d'Orsay, and Bolivar.

The main thing to know is that the sliding glass cabinet that is in the middle of the cigars section is mainly all tubos and for tourists. Spend your time looking at the shelves on the wall around that glass cabinet in the middle. What you want to do is remember that the global brands are along the back wall and the local brands are on the side walls. So, to the left of the back door of the shop is Hoyo de Monterrey and Montecristo, to the right is Cohiba and Partagas...these are the big 4 with the most stock. Bolivar is on the right side, I am curious if he still has some Churchill-sized Coronas Gigantes, which has been discontinued since 2017. If you see these, do not hesitate. Honestly, I'm not aware of Quai d'Orsay other than to say that current worldwide demand wouldn't reflect demand in that shop, which usually has business from tourists, not enthusiasts. I am confident that he'd have some good Quai d'Orsay options. I'm guessing recent QdO 50 and 54 is less likely than finding aged Coronas Claros. If you find Imperiales, since deleted from 2014, again, do not hesitate to purchase.

Let us know what you find. Also, feel free to let Raj know about our forum and current trends in the Cuban Cigar community. He loves that type of talk!

• 1 month later...
The main thing to know is that the sliding glass cabinet that is in the middle of the cigars section is mainly all tubos and for tourists. Spend your time looking at the shelves on the wall around that glass cabinet in the middle. What you want to do is remember that the global brands are along the back wall and the local brands are on the side walls. So, to the left of the back door of the shop is Hoyo de Monterrey and Montecristo, to the right is Cohiba and Partagas...these are the big 4 with the most stock. Bolivar is on the right side, I am curious if he still has some Churchill-sized Coronas Gigantes, which has been discontinued since 2017. If you see these, do not hesitate. Honestly, I'm not aware of Quai d'Orsay other than to say that current worldwide demand wouldn't reflect demand in that shop, which usually has business from tourists, not enthusiasts. I am confident that he'd have some good Quai d'Orsay options. I'm guessing recent QdO 50 and 54 is less likely than finding aged Coronas Claros. If you find Imperiales, since deleted from 2014, again, do not hesitate to purchase.
Let us know what you find. Also, feel free to let Raj know about our forum and current trends in the Cuban Cigar community. He loves that type of talk!
I want to thank you for your advice in Jamaica. I wasn't able to get into the port lcdh but I did make it to the one at half moon. I grabbed the coronas Gigantes that were in good shape as well that were from 2014. Prices were a bit steep but I enjoyed my first trip to an LCDH. I was also excited to pick up some Caribe REs that were left over. Thank you again!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brainninja said:

I want to thank you for your advice in Jamaica. I wasn't able to get into the port lcdh but I did make it to the one at half moon. I grabbed the coronas Gigantes that were in good shape as well that were from 2014. Prices were a bit steep but I enjoyed my first trip to an LCDH. I was also excited to pick up some Caribe REs that were left over. Thank you again!

That's fantastic to hear!

• Like 1