New Tobacco Rate In Oz

5 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Read it and weep. $1076.5  AUD a kilo. 

1 USD = .73 AUD

They really are thieves. While this doesn't affect International members, Aussie members continue to be violated :moon:

When will the nightmare end? Spoke to Satesh of Melbourne LCDH a while back, he gives retail another 8 or so years before they'll be run out of business. Doesn't seem to be any cause for optimism here in Australia but one can only hope... Or be realistic and continue to load up inventory for the coming years until our individual pain barrier has been reached

19 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Read it and weep. $1076.5  AUD a kilo. 

1 USD = .73 AUD

They really are thieves. While this doesn't affect International members, Aussie members continue to be violated :moon:

What is the cost impact on an average box of 25 Habanos at 300 USD ?

Here in the US each individual State sets the tabacoo tax. Average pack of cigarettes come to around 15$ in most States. 

7 minutes ago, raidercraig said:

What is the cost impact on an average box of 25 Habanos at 300 USD ?

Here in the US each individual State sets the tabacoo tax. Average pack of cigarettes come to around 15$ in most States. 

Just guessing but a $300 is box will probably be around $800-$900 plus a box cigarettes are currently $40 per pack of 30 WTF 

when will this madness end,to be honest I can put up with the plain packaging shit it’s the 17.5 %a year that’s the killer 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Nope, no typo. Every September, on top of the bi-annual CPI increment (March & September), we have a lovely 12.5% increment.

17.5 this time around inc CPI this time and other shit wish I got CPI haven’t had a pay rise in over a decade 

6 minutes ago, OZCUBAN said:

Just guessing but a $300 is box will probably be around $800-$900 plus a box cigarettes are currently $40 per pack of 30 WTF 

when will this madness end,to be honest I can put up with the plain packaging shit it’s the 17.5 %a year that’s the killer 

That’s insane. The government in OZ is taking advantage of its people 

Yes they and there’s not a damn thing we can do about it ??????

It’s cheaper to buy illegal drugs than it is tobacco go figure

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

Any chance that you all can vote the bastards out of office and repeal this ludicrous law?

No mate there all the same either parties all the same OZ is the ultimate in “the Nanny state “ 

it doesn’t work like it does in America 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, OZCUBAN said:

It’s cheaper to buy illegal drugs than it is tobacco go figure

This is so true.

As it is with costs here, it's truly expensive to the point where some like me, will probably quit cigars.

Just no longer justifiable to spend so much on something I know everyone else out of Oz are paying 1/3 that cost.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OZCUBAN said:

No mate there all the same either parties all the same OZ is the ultimate in “the Nanny state “ 

it doesn’t work like it does in America 

It doesn't work in America either. No politician, who wants to retain his seat at a following election, will ever try to rescind tobacco laws. The tobacco lobby groups are infinitesimal in comparison to others. Tobacco laws and duties are inevitable. Anyone who thinks otherwise are just deluding themselves.

I don't like it. I will try to fight it. But it is like raging against the oncoming storm. So I shall squirrel away what I can, for the day will come when tobacco will be classified as illicit drugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

This is so true.

As it is with costs here, it's truly expensive to the point where some like me, will probably quit cigars.

Just no longer justifiable to spend so much on something I know everyone else out of Oz are paying 1/3 that cost.

So true mate 

I am the same boat there quickly becoming TOTALLY unaffordable which is a shame it’s one of life’s true pleasures ❤️

But now dwells in the land of the uber rich ,but that’s another topic ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OZCUBAN said:

yep same here in NZ  ,just paid NZ$590 to get a box of Punch DC released by those pricks Has no relationship to any kind of justifaction to Tax like this

That is utterly bonkers.

What's the tax on a bottle of scotch?  A new truck?  Or is tobacco tax the worst example there?

I had a coworker who live in AUS for a year, he loved it.  Evidently I couldn't ever live there, but I will come and visit in the net couple years, just evidently not to buy boxes of cigars lol

1 hour ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

Every September?

Started by the Rudd/Gillard government back in 2013, it was meant to go for a four years. Subsequent governments loved the income, so decided to keep it going. In the 2017-18 Budget, the government announced the additional 12.5% annual increase will continue to 2020. Most likely it will be kept going after 2020, until tobacco use drops, and the government has to figure out a new cash cow.

11 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Started by the Rudd/Gillard government back in 2013, it was meant to go for a four years. Subsequent governments loved the income, so decided to keep it going. In the 2017-18 Budget, the government announced the additional 12.5% annual increase will continue to 2020. Most likely it will be kept going after 2020, until tobacco use drops, and the government has to figure out a new cash cow.

Perhaps I am too much the eternal optimist, but there's a glimmer of hope right there. When the cash cow begins to dry up they may realize they were better off when yall were paying the ridiculous prices as they are currently. The distribution networks are already operating and the good citizens lining up to pay the current rate of taxes is already there, the question becomes simple: do they want to make a point, or do they want reliable, easy money that fits hand-in-glove with Havana's move to ever bigger and brighter triple-banded money-burners (yeah, you, Upmann Connie B)?

I realize I am attempting to use logic to analyze decisions made by politicians, and it is folly.

Without knowing anything really about Oz politics, I'm going to draw some parallels to the US and assume this is being kept alive by the anti-tobacco lobby?

Is alcohol viewed the same way as tobacco with regard to taxes, etc? Or is the alcohol lobby just more powerful and therefor not subject to these crazy taxes?