The Wheezydor - my custom humidor project

Hi friends,

So after completing my first 2 humidors (see: “Humidors and cigar boxes” thread), I’ve realized that while I like how those humidors turned out, they didn’t solve my main issue: I need a larger space to store boxes of cigars while they age. @BarryNY yes you were right!

Furthermore, I don’t have convenient counter space to leave the humidors for months, let alone years, at a stretch. Sitting in my home office, I think I have come up with a solution:  the Wheezydor, for lack of a better name. 

I’m going to retrofit a couple of bookcase shelves into humidors (initial photos below), giving me about 48” x 16”x 12” of space. Hopefully this will cover me for a while!  If you’re interested in this stuff, circle back periodically, as I will update the thread with my progress.

The original bookshelves (which I never use anymore).  Hello, it’s 2004 calling...they want their DVD’s back!

686BEE21-B57F-4A93-A5CD-F96B8BAD8F76.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it’s fitting that with the end of the year upon us, so is the end of this thread!  Over the past few days, I’ve added 12v LED lights, and the intermittent fan.  I’m not quite ready to load thi

And after...

Go you bad boy!
I am most curious and will follow this one.
Give plenty of details on fit/finish to get best seal please.
I was always frustrated doing build-in as nothing is square & plumb. Carpentry vs Woodworking two different animals.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

@BJRPorter Good eye, and good question: the lights are LED strips, which don’t generate much heat at all.  Additionally, my home office (aka man cave) is in the basement, and heat is something that I have to work at (when needed).  If left to ambient temps, I’d guess the cave would average about 65 degrees.  When I’m in there, the heater might bring it up to 68-70 degrees at most.

Come to think of it, maybe I should just line the man cave with cedar, and have a walk-in!

• Like 3

Starting by creating straight edges using a guide...in this case a piece of MDF baseboard screwed onto the Spanish cedar.  Generally dead straight and cheap for a guide board. Screw holes are right at the edge, and will get trimmed away later.

B79968EA-A8A8-4647-BE91-B6081A0463A2.jpeg

Next, the planer to bring all boards to consistent desired thickness.  Brought all boards to 13/16 of an inch, which cleaned up all surfaces, while retaining the maximum thickness.

Side bar: I seriously wish the US had converted to the metric system.  For those old enough, remember the big push to convert in the 70’s?  Collectively, the US yawned and went back to our Quarter Pounders with Cheese.

As a woodworker focusing on precise measurements, fractions of an inch are an epic pain in the ass.

848944A7-FE75-476E-98F4-BB26ED193D70.jpeg

• Like 3

The lumber is transforming into boards.  Getting closer...

Soundtrack this morning was Back In Black, High Voltage, and Dirty Deeds.  Had the house to myself, so the volume was cranked up.

The shop smells so good!  Spanish cedar is the best.

13507B05-0109-4FF3-82EA-B1BC09D4EED6.jpeg

• Like 2

Now that the wood is milled to thickness and surfaced on all sides, I can get started on the exact measurements for the humidor compartments. Also a good time to assess what should be kept, and what goes to recycle/trash.

DE987B71-F466-43A9-9066-9D27A963057A.jpeg

Metric units haven't landed on the moon, or created anything that competes with an sr-71 blackbird. They are easier for just about everything though lol. Great progress, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Great thread and awesome build! I wish I had your skills. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

After two days of binge-eating, NFL and college football, and Christmas decorations....today is my day.  Back in the shop!  Goals for today are dry-fit of Spanish cedar lining, possibly a prototype of the cabinet door (specifically an effective seal), and a prototype of some drawers that will house singles, samplers, etc.  The design and function of these drawers has been my primary thought over the past couple days. 

When I have an interesting challenge, I like to get a rough definition of the problem, then mentally tuck it away for a few days, and just noodle on it. When I circle back, I hopefully have a good way to solve it.

This problem is one of visibility:  this humidor will be mounted at eye-level, housing both boxes and singles.  I want to look at those singles from time to time, without shuffling boxes or reaching way above my head. Hopefully, I’ve solved the puzzle.  Pics and more description today.

Also, ordered Blum Aventos HK-S hinges yesterday, for those curious:  https://www.blum.com/us/en/01/10/50/?campaign=16ekT0

- Wheezy

Saturday morning update...

Cedar lining cut, and dry fit.  The side panels aren’t driven home yet, as it’s a very snug fit. Once driven home, they’re pretty much there for good. That’s why it looks like they’re leaning on the sides, but in actuality they’re wedged in. 

F35B69C2-C3C8-49AD-8E28-5D9782FE33EC.jpeg

• Like 1

Drawer prototype...noodled on this one while putting up the Christmas lights.  This morning I built a test drawer to functional spec from scrap plywood, then tested it. Looks good so far.  Hopefully you can gather what the finished product will look like...or at least how it will operate. ?

E797D775-C0BE-4ED6-9798-D353210C57E9.jpeg

E5F5784C-FA1A-445E-97A0-6F7A9D3A5C9D.jpeg

The angled relief at the back of the “drawer”, and the groove that shoots upwards at the end, allows the drawer to fully extend, then rest at an angle for easy viewing of the contents...

E7737D3F-3D4F-46CD-B048-A72E623D6479.jpeg

C22BE036-C618-45CD-901C-346FD0821B2A.jpeg