Guest ripper

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great postcard! That's Enrique Mons. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool postcards! I have been collecting cigar billheads from the late 1800s to the early 1900s for quite a while.  These are basically invoices from tobacco manufacturers/wholesalers to tobac

"Cuba is a good neighbor"  thats awesome.  Hope we get back there someday.

This 1915 embossed postcard has one motif to qualify for this thread -- a pumpkin smoking a cigar. He looks like a happy smoker!

Halloween cigar.jpg

La Victoire was a restaurant owned by Harry L. Katz opposite the Steel Pier in Atlantic City NJ. A well-fortified cigar counter was across from the cash register in this late 1920s linen postcard published by E.C. Kropp of Milwaukee.
La Victoire offered a blue plate seafood special that included half a lobster. Late-night customers were entertained by mucis from Warner MacFarlane's La Victoire Melody Makers.

La Victoire, Atlantic City 1920.jpg

16 hours ago, ripper said:

La Victoire was a restaurant owned by Harry L. Katz opposite the Steel Pier in Atlantic City NJ. A well-fortified cigar counter was across from the cash register in this late 1920s linen postcard published by E.C. Kropp of Milwaukee.
La Victoire offered a blue plate seafood special that included half a lobster. Late-night customers were entertained by mucis from Warner MacFarlane's La Victoire Melody Makers.

La Victoire, Atlantic City 1920.jpg

Love that picture

14 minutes ago, Squarehead said:

Love that picture

Yep. And you somehow got to love that appreciation of a fine smoke following a good meal as a matter of course back then. Different times indeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

Yep. And you somehow got to love that appreciation of a fine smoke following a good meal as a matter of course back then. Different times indeed.

I can remember about 40 yrs ago friends of ours and us went for dinner in a restaurant in Mississauga(just west of Toronto) and after dinner the waiter came with a  humidor filled with an assortment of cigars.We picked some and then the waiter cut them,handed them back to us and held the matches for us to light'em up.That was a fantastic evening.Don't see that anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

This experience can still be had in Havana.  ;)

• Like 2

The West Hotel in Sioux City IA circa 1910 looks like a pretty great place to herf. Plenty of rocking chairs, no annoying TVs, a few postcard racks at the cigar counter, a mail drop (that rectangle white box on the pole next to the counter) to tell folks back home you've gone to Iowa to sit in a rocker and smoke cigars.

West Hotel, Sioux City IA.jpg

This was my grandfather Sam Hepps's drugstore at 406 Dixon St in Homestead PA, just across the Monongahela River from Pittsburgh. The store had been a saloon owned by my great-grandfather Bernhardt Hepps, like his son a pharmacist. That's my great-grandfather, also known as Barney, in the bowtie and big handlebar mustache. He was a Piittsburgh Pirates season box seat holder. He died during the 1949 World Series -- 6 months before I was born. I was named for him.
The store was across Dixon Street from US Steel No. 1 -- the biggest steel mill in the world. It had been Andrew Carnegie's mill. When the whistle blew at 3 pm and 12 midnight, ending the shifts, the mill workers, known as steelers like our football team, would flock to my grandfather's store to buy cigars and light them at a perpetual gas flame. 
The right seat at the soda fountain is where I spent happy days as a child, consuming as many chocolate sodas as I could stomach, and watching the steelers light their cigars. That's where I smoked my first cigar, a Marsh Wheeling Stogie, at at age 12.
Here is an advertisement from the Homestead Daily Messenger of Dec 9, 1922, heralding the opening of my grandfather's drugstore. The postcard captions and newspaper ad spelled the business name as Hepp's, but my maternal grandparents were named Hepps. They were from Hungary. 
Marsh Big Havana Cigars, from Mifflin M. Marsh's cigar factory in Wheeling WV, were sold 6 for a quarter. A box of 50 was $2.05. The factory produced 30 million cigars a year during the 1920s, with half of them sold in the Tri-State area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.

Hepps-Pharmacy-406-Dixon-St.-1922-1024x726.jpg

Hepps-Pharmacy-c.-1930.jpg

19221209 grand opening of hepps pharm ad_preview.jpeg