Cigars postcards

Guest ripper

Guest ripper
Front and back of a nice B&W real photo card for Havana City Store, circa late 1940s. Cigars are front and center in this shot, located above rum bottles. The post card back advertises "Cuba's choisest cigars". 
Love the womens' fashions. This is a tourist shop offering the best of Cuban exports. 

Havana City Store.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great postcard! That's Enrique Mons. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool postcards! I have been collecting cigar billheads from the late 1800s to the early 1900s for quite a while.  These are basically invoices from tobacco manufacturers/wholesalers to tobac

"Cuba is a good neighbor"  thats awesome.  Hope we get back there someday.

Guest ripper

A one-stop shop in Northfield MA -- the E.S. Kanrick barber shop, cigar counter and a pool room in the back. A rare postcard circa 1905.

The guy behind the cigar counter does not look like customer service is his priority.

Barber shop + pool room, Northfield MA, c. 1905.jpg

Guest ripper

Rollers in a 1920s factory in Tampa The Cigar City.
The straw hats make this seem like a jaunty bunch until you see the guy in the foreground with the comb-over. Does not look like a happy day for him.

Tampa factory 1920s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ripper

Cigar rollers at an unknown factory in a 1910 postcard. Had to be stifling in ties and long-sleeve shirts.

Cigar rollers, unknown factory, c. 1910.jpg

Very cool postcards!

I have been collecting cigar billheads from the late 1800s to the early 1900s for quite a while.  These are basically invoices from tobacco manufacturers/wholesalers to tobacco retailers.  Here are a few of the 9 billheads I have hanging in my office.  They are great conversation pieces....

20170804_164021.jpg

20170804_164004.jpg

20170804_164034.jpg

• Like 4

Guest ripper

CooGAR I enjoyed seeing your lithographed billheads. Where do you find them?

Here is a postcard of tobacco strippers at a Havana factory, with a 1911 postmark. Seem to be all women with a man supervisor at left.

Women stripping tobacco, Havana.jpg

Guest ripper

Litho postcard circa 1939 advertising "impressions of a visit to gay Havana."

P.&O. Pacific & Oriental Steamship company was in business 1822-2000. The shipping company became part of Maersk Lines. The cruise line was incorporated into Carnival Cruise Lines.

s-l1600.jpg

Guest ripper
If ya like heads of dead critters, the Wilson Hotel in Salt Lake City was your place to stay.
This 1915 litho postcard also shows a cigar counter and a nifty lobby with brass spittoons and green velvet chairs -- good smoking spot.

Wilson Hotel, Salt Lake City, c. 1915.jpg

Guest ripper

Unusually detailed closeup of cigars boxes and a wonderful cash register in this 1911 B&W real photo postcard of Oberg Bros. Palace of Sweets in Philbrook MN.
The sensational name Palace of Sweets suggests that the cigar counter was part of a candy store or probably a drug store.

s-l1600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Couple of guys playing cards in Camaguey, Cuba, circa 1930s. Looks like they have enough cigars to last the night.
An unusual postcard. May have been taken by a street photographer. The card's back reads Foto Mendoza.

Foto Mendoza, Camagiey, Cuba.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two Princeton football players celebrate a victory with smokes in 1955. No info on the bow-tied guy with them. Could be their dad, as the ears and jawlines are similar. No. 81 might be star of the game, as he's got a game ball.
The 1955 Tigers won the Ivy league with a 7-2 record. Could not find a roster online to identify the players in this repro postcard, probably taken from a newspaper photo.
We see NFL players smoking cigars when they win the Super Bowl. But never see college players smoking in photos, even selfies.

Victory cigars, Princeton football, 1955.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ripper

Unlike most of the cards I post, this New York City landmark is still in business 24 hours a day. Located at Sheridan Square near the subway's Christopher Street station.
This 1970s chrome postcard shows a busy storefront that has not changed much. That woman walking through the door probably still shops there for paperback books, clocks, rainwear and cigars.

Village Cigars, NYC.JPG

H.C. Nolan & Company produced cigars from this factory at 2nd and Walnut Streets in Lansdale PA. This 1900s postcard shows employees. The postcards were produced by a prolific local photographer Charles Berkemeyer.
H.C. Nolan also had a cigar factory in Sellersville PA.

s-l1600.jpg

H.C. Nolan cigar factory, Lansdale PA, c. 1910.jpg

Unlike most of the cards I post, this New York City landmark is still in business 24 hours a day. Located at Sheridan Square near the subway's Christopher Street station.
This 1970s chrome postcard shows a busy storefront that has not changed much. That woman walking through the door probably still shops there for paperback books, clocks, rainwear and cigars.

59d537639c8a0_VillageCigarsNYC.thumb.JPG.a4c51519a0542a4c8dd6b9a987cfb6a2.JPG
Love this place. It makes me melancholy when I see it because that was my youth and few places like this still exist. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you look close, there are cigars in the cashier case lower right corner of this stunning 1936 linen postcard of T and T Sea Grill in Worcester MA. Love this card -- the fountain, the checkerboard floor, the maritime art. And they offer shore dinners and venison steaks. A dream place.

T&T Sea Grill, Worcester MA 1936.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Top card is 1933 Curt Teich Co. linen postcard of Havana. Capitol is in center. Below is a 1938 aerial linen card. Stunning how many cigars were being consumed in these buildings when these images were done.

Havana aerial 1933.jpg

Havana aerial 1938.JPG

Considering it is 115 years old, this chromolithograph postcard is remarkably clear. Nice soft colors. Is a Havana cigar factory, showing the rollers and the lector reading a newspaper. 

Havana factory 1902.jpg