Smoking with America's Oldest Veteran (111)

That's awesome man! If I ever get to Austin again I'll have to look him up as well. Overton Street :clap:

• Like 2

Wow how amazing. I'm jealous haha. Makes me want to plan a trip from Melbourne, Australia, just to sit with Mr Overton and share cigars and whiskey. 

I hope I get the chance. When I come back to visit that side of the world, it'll be the first thing I do. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the story immensely ! Nicely done.

One thing I've found, is that many elderly people prefer to stick to the comfort of their routines. Mr Overton would probably appreciate being sent some of his favorite Tampa Sweet perfectos. (Also, anything strong may upset his stomach.)
I have several memories of giving 'special' gifts to elderly relatives, only to find out later that they never used them. When asked why- it turned out they preferred that which was familiar to them.
I haven't known anyone over 100. And, every person is a unique individual. But I bet Mr Overton would still enjoy those Tampa Sweets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I enjoyed the story immensely ! Nicely done.

One thing I've found, is that many elderly people prefer to stick to the comfort of their routines. Mr Overton would probably appreciate being sent some of his favorite Tampa Sweet perfectos. (Also, anything strong may upset his stomach.)
I have several memories of giving 'special' gifts to elderly relatives, only to find out later that they never used them. When later asked why- it turned out they preferred that which was familiar to them.
I haven't known anyone over 100. And, every person is an individual. But I bet Mr Overton would still enjoy those Tampa Sweets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great idea! Could we somehow bomb this guy with some quality puffs? He deserves it, but I wonder if he'd even want that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks @SignalJoe, very cool that you were able to sit for a spell, with a fellow like that.

I still can enjoy smoking the machine rolled short cut tobacco, I don't keep it around and very rarely buy it, but that's what I smoked as a kid and that's what my Mom and Dad smoke; so, those cigars pair nicely with sitting down for a conversation on the back porch :) .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kalibratecuba said:

Great idea! Could we somehow bomb this guy with some quality puffs? He deserves it, but I wonder if he'd even want that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  It was a truly fascinating experience hearing history from someone who lived it.   If anyone wanted to send cigars to Mr. Overton you could mail them to his house.  I suspect it would be appreciated.    

Richard Overton 

2011 Hamilton Avenue 

Austin, TX 78702 

The renaming of his street is honorary and I believe temporary.  The Hamilton Avenue sign was there (in green) with a "dressier" blue sign above which said Overton St (or Ave. can't recall now).  Again his smoke of choice is a Tampa Sweet Perfecto.  He may well be set in his ways at his age or he may appreciate a nice cuban.  Either way I am sure he would appreciate the gesture from a fellow cigar smoker.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Folks please keep Mr. Overton in your thoughts and prayers.  He was admitted to the hospital last night due to pneumonia.  Let's hope he pulls through and returns to enjoy a lot more stogies and whiskey on his front porch.  

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/273109439-story

10 minutes ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

Good vibes sent his way.

That had to be such an honor to visit with him.

We're you the one that did the 15 or so minute interview video with him, Joe? I watched that about a month or so back.

Negative sir.  I am pretty decent photographer but don't know the first thing about videography or editing.  That interview is impressive though, hats off to whoever is responsible.  

• Like 2

On 6/13/2017 at 10:05 PM, SignalJoe said:

During my travels through Austin I took the time to find a man who fascinates me.  Richard Overton at 111 years old is America's oldest living WWII veteran.  Besides helping defeat Japan in the pacific Overton credits his longevity to smoking cigars and drinking whiskey daily.  He was not that hard to find as the city of Austin, TX recently changed the name of street he lives on to "Overton St."   As I drove up he was sitting on the porch of the home he has lived in since he returned from serving.  As one would expect he was burning a stogie.  I introduced myself and presented him the cuban cigars I brought (10 Boli #2/ 10 R&J #2) and a bottle of TX blended whiskey.   After introductions were complete I asked if I could sit and listen to his story.  He was all too happy to oblige.  

In his soft spoken voice he told me about his time in the service.  When I asked about where he went to training he informed me he didn't need training.  As a country boy he already knew how to shoot.  At his age he is alert but sometimes changes topics without any notice making the listener pay attention.  I listened to him for about an hour as he spoke of WWII using the colorful language one would expect from a Soldier.  Unfortunately I can't recall all that was said as we sat there smoking however I will leave you with a few quotes below:   

"Bullets would come between us, like you and me sitting here.  You didn't dodge because you might dodge into a bullet"  

"I don't know how I made through all that"  

"You just kept moving forward.  You could get killed just as easy going back as moving forward.  So you never looked back.  Just keep moving forward."  

His home health care nurse was sitting with us (as well as his son) and she was a little concerned about the heat and some stomach distress he was experiencing.  So I figured I had taken enough of his time and excused myself.  We shook hands and he thanked me for the cigars and whiskey.  All I can say is that I was overwhelmed having the opportunity to sit with this man who had seen so much and lived the full life he has.  

Below are some images I took of him this afternoon.  Also if anyone is curious his smoke of choice is a Tampa Sweet Perfecto.  I would love to stop back by and see what he thinks of the cuban marevas I gave him some day.  

DSC_1547_48_49_50_51_tonemapped1.jpg

DSC_1552_3_4_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

DSC_1562_3_4_5_6_tonemapped1.jpg

DSC_1581_2_3_4_5_tonemapped1.jpg

Please pray for Richard Overton- he is hospitalized with phenuoma. 

• 10 months later...

Just read a news report that Mr. Overton has been a victim of identity theft.  Story says his SS# was used and his bank account drained.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/06/30/thief-drains-bank-account-of-nations-oldest-world-war-ii-veteran/23471830/

Absolutely the lowest form of life did this.  I read he has a Go Fund Me set up.  

Very sad that this happens to anyone let alone this gentleman.

• Sad 3