Do you Smoke in the Car? (Carmidor)

On 15/04/2017 at 4:27 PM, Knilas said:

Very rarely anymore, as I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years (quit 4 years ago) and can't stand a vehicle that smells like "ash". Lol. For long trips or for a quick smoke on the way to and from work, I'll smoke a pipe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I smoke a pipe daily, but I have never tried this away from home.  It seems like a lot of inconvenience to have to carry a pipe, tobacco, tamper, and pipe cleaners.  It's quite an operation to pack and light a pipe in the first place, then I will usually need pipe cleaners at some point throughout the smoke, due to the build up of moisture.  Also, I've never been comfortable holding a pipe in my mouth (hands free), which makes it even more tricky during driving.  How do you manage all of this in the car? :o:D

17 hours ago, planetary said:

Nope, for four reasons:

1) I like to be able to pay attention to the cigar, physically and sensorily.  (Solved by self-driving cars in ~10 years.)
2) Smoking odor in cars is gross, and a showstopper for me.  (No idea how to solve.)
3) For professional reasons, I don't want to smell of smoke while at work.  (Solved by smoking on the return commute only.)
4) I'm somewhat concerned what would happen in the event of an accident.  (No idea how to solve.)

1 - I agree with this to a certain extent, but then there are different cigars for different purposes.  I do tend to smoke smaller/cheaper cigars in the car, and wouldn't be going through my PSP box of BCGs for example.  Also, I don't get so many opportunities to enjoy cigars in the ideal setting, at least lately, but still have the craving for them.

2 - True, it is gross.  But I really have not experienced this.  Like JohnInCleveland, I find that the smell is totally gone within 24-48 hours.  Although this is dependent on making sure the car is well ventilated whilst smoking.  Although my seats are leather, there is cloth upholstry in the headliner and a few other spots, so perhaps after many years the smell may linger more.  Then there's the yellow staining...haven't seen that yet thankfully.

3 - This I can understand.  It's time to find a new job. :P

4 - The only accident I am concerned about is finding myself in the car without any cigars hahaha.  Well, I suppose you might have a point, if there were a collision and the cigar found its way onto the back seat or something.  On the other hand, we're talking about driving, and smoking.  If you take part in either of these activities, you probably enjoy taking some risks in life!

7 hours ago, dicko said:

I smoke occasionally in the car. One thing I have found difficult is how to lay down the cigar between puffs.
Do you guys just keep it in your hand or do you have a car specific ash tray set up?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I tend to keep the cigar in hand until I am about halfway through, and then keep it in my mouth after that.  My 30 year old car also has an ashtray if I need to put the cigar down for a longer period (note: my hand manual actually refers to the car lighter as a 'cigar lighter'!).  Do they still put ashtrays in new cars?  I guess there is no call for them these days?  Years ago I was a driver on London Underground, and on the older train stocks there was an ashtray built into the driver's cab!  How times have changed. :(

• Like 3

I love to drive, and I love cigars. Put the two together and I'm a happy camper.

I don't store cigars in the car, ever. I have a nice Italian leather 2 finger cigar case that I load up before I leave in the morning. My commute is about 01:15:00 each way. I rotate 4 short smokes on my morning commute; Party Shorts, HUHC's, MdO4's, and Monte Media Coronas depending on my mood. I like to keep it short in the morning so there's time to ventilate the car before getting to my garage at work. Going home it's usually a longer smoke, a petite corona, corona gorda, or a robusto. When it rains, or is freezing cold or stiflingly hot I skip smoking. On long trips I'll take something bigger.

• Like 1

@smoker
"I smoke a pipe daily, but I have never tried this away from home.  It seems like a lot of inconvenience to have to carry a pipe, tobacco, tamper, and pipe cleaners.  It's quite an operation to pack and light a pipe in the first place, then I will usually need pipe cleaners at some point throughout the smoke, due to the build up of moisture.  Also, I've never been comfortable holding a pipe in my mouth (hands free), which makes it even more tricky during driving.  How do you manage all of this in the car? "

The amount of crap you carry in order to smoke your cigar is no less than anyone who smokes a pipe. Use a zip lock baggie or even a pipe pouch to store your stuff in your car. Simple as that.

Pack your pipe before you leave and even light it if you want. No inconvenience. With practice, you'll be able to keep it going for as long as you like. And if it goes out... No worries. Pipes are meant to be re-lit, and won't get harsh like a cigar. Relax and enjoy while driving. ;)

If you're having trouble clenching your pipe, then perhaps you use a pipe that is too bulky or heavy. Try a smaller one or one with a thinner bit. I'd also suggest a wind cap for your pipe if you drive with the windows down. It'll keep embers out of your lap and eyes. Easy peasy...

• Like 1

A screw top tubo sealed with plumber's tape works well.  I have smoked in all my cars, but do not smoke in the car with any regularity.  Often I will light cigars in my car if I am at a car show (usually too windy).

I smoke in my truck regularly, usually only during drives over an hour. I don't smoke during my normal commute as I find smoking in rush hour traffic to often be more trouble than its worth. Thorough ventilation during smoking is the key to preventing the long term buildup of odor, its tough to keep the ventilation just right when your speeds are varying wildly. I never store cigars in my truck though. I have a travel humidor, a leather double sleeve and a few other containers I use. I always toss them in a gallon ziploc along with a couple lighters, cutters, and a draw tool. They come back into the apartment or hotel with me each night in one of my bags. 

I drove from Manning, ND down through the Black Hills of South Dakota and back to Denver last week in a 20' Uhual. I pretty much chain smoked the 6 or so hours of driving each day. Left the windows cracked over night and didn't notice any smells the next morning. They also didn't hit me with the "cleaning fee" they often do if they detect smoke odor. Long drives of consistent speed like this lend themselves perfectly to smoking for me. I err on the side of too much ventilation, because I like fresh air. (A smoky, poorly ventilated cigar lounge is hell for me) This can often lead to burn issues, so I tend to stick wit shorter smokes and always have a single flame torch handy for the inevitable touch ups. 

• Like 1

I am usually driving my 1972 Suburban or my 1970 Chey truck (was granddads) and both have plenty of metal and just feel right enjoying a cigar in...

Matter of fact they come from the factory with a cigar holder for when I run into a store :)

I9jvYYnrQxidh6RCbaFZE694x3XCNDWYPcDkAamk

aLhwcPIt18L0d2J2McJLyh9K41WNb0xQ0N59v9Wx

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Knilas said:

@smoker
"I smoke a pipe daily, but I have never tried this away from home.  It seems like a lot of inconvenience to have to carry a pipe, tobacco, tamper, and pipe cleaners.  It's quite an operation to pack and light a pipe in the first place, then I will usually need pipe cleaners at some point throughout the smoke, due to the build up of moisture.  Also, I've never been comfortable holding a pipe in my mouth (hands free), which makes it even more tricky during driving.  How do you manage all of this in the car? emoji33.pngemoji3.png"

The amount of crap you carry in order to smoke your cigar is no less than anyone who smokes a pipe. Use a zip lock baggie or even a pipe pouch to store your stuff in your car. Simple as that.

Pack your pipe before you leave and even light it if you want. No inconvenience. With practice, you'll be able to keep it going for as long as you like. And if it goes out... No worries. Pipes are meant to be re-lit, and won't get harsh like a cigar. Relax and enjoy while driving. ;)

If you're having trouble clenching your pipe, then perhaps you use a pipe that is too bulky or heavy. Try a smaller one or one with a thinner bit. I'd also suggest a wind cap for your pipe if you drive with the windows down. It'll keep embers out of your lap and eyes. Easy peasy...

It's true that I prefer larger pipes...group 5 and up, this is because for the amount of bullshit that has to take place, it's not worth it for a tiny pipe! :)  I want that pipe to last an hour at least.  But yes, I suppose the larger size is probably why they're not comfortable in the mouth.  Mind you, I do have a few smaller ones (that I never use) and I think I also found them uncomfortable.

What about moisture build-up, and having to use a pipe cleaner whilst driving?  Wind cap would be a must for sure - never tried one of those, but then I never smoke my pipes outside the house.

On 4/16/2017 at 10:15 PM, dicko said:

I smoke occasionally in the car. One thing I have found difficult is how to lay down the cigar between puffs.
Do you guys just keep it in your hand or do you have a car specific ash tray set up?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The Stinky Car Ashtray has a cigar holder made up of two bent pieces of metal, works well.  It easily fits in most cup holders, and seals tightly enough to prevent the ash/extinguished-cigar smell from escaping.  It's available on amazon for about $15, but I got mine for $8 on a certain bidding site.

I smoke in my car on occasion.  To aid in ventilation, I find putting the fan on feet-only and maximum speed helps push smoke out of whichever windows you choose to leave open.  It even works when at a standstill.

• Like 1

I have a commute of about an hour each way to my office. I never smoke on the way in to work, I don't want to smell like smoke at work. But I bought a small humidor for the office, I keep the humidity carefully regulated. I have a nice assortment of cigars to smoke on the way home. Favorites include Upmann Half Corona, RJ Petite Julietas, Partagas Shorts, Hoyo Short Robustos, Monte 5s, RASCC, and various non Cuban maduro cigars (CAO MX2 Daggers and CAO Brazilias, both in tins, and CAO Flathead Spark Plugs). Just right to finish on the drive home with a bit of time to spare.

Since I often hit heavy traffic on the way home, the cigar makes the journey much more relaxing. I've had a few mishaps, dropping a lit cigar into my lap or the floor, but so far no serious wounds or scars.

I've got a routine, windows down before I get home, and a nice orange air spray that I use, my car never smells like cigars.