Brisket AOK

Not even hungry but I'll take a plate :drool:

A smoker will definitely be on my wishlist for 2017!

A smoker was one of the best things I bought last year. I have a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker and it couldn't be any easier to crank out consistently good BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dmpotocek said:

A smoker was one of the best things I bought last year. I have a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker and it couldn't be any easier to crank out consistently good BBQ.

Same here. One of the best purchases I've made. 

- MG 

• Like 1

Looks good Rob, I usually smoke at 225F and try to hit about 203F to call it done.  I have a Traeger Pellet grill and enjoy smoking a brisket or pork shoulder.  My wife makes a great barbecue sauce and cole slaw to go with dinner and leftovers usually turn into tacos.  Smoked a salmon on a cedar plank the other night and it was fantastic.  Still trying to find a place to consistently get good baby back ribs to smoke. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dmpotocek said:

I had one of those back when they first came out.  What a headache....!  Assume you're meaning the one the size of a dorm fridge?  That first issue was too well insulated and I couldn't cook at low temps and make smoke at the same time. Had to be a minimum 225, and even then it basically didn't smoke at all. Would reach temp really quickly and held it efficiently due to that foam insulation.  The chips over the heating element never smoldered after initial target temp was met.  Then, if you opened the door, you got a fireball flash in the face as a rush of oxygen met that hot wood trying to combust. Also, the door seal would heat, misform and then pop the door open.   Same result. Huge fire. I desperately wanted to get air into that cabinet (short of tossing it and getting a new unit by another maker, and I was about there after three years of Thanksgiving turkeys) so I took a 2 1/2" hole saw and drilled a chimney hole in the top, lined it with an old beer can and started the redneckification of that damned hot box.  Fixed the door by riveting a galvanized gate latch to it to prevent meltdowns, and then called Masterbuilt for a new door seal (mine was well done at that point).  "What model do you have sur...?"   I told her.  "What serial number...?"   I told her.   "Oh, well that unit was recalled due to a fire hazard, sir..."   Very nice of you all to inform me.  "We can send you at no charge a replacement seal and a kit to limit oxygen to the woodbox to prevent further fires, sir."  Yes please, do that.     Walking through a Cabelas several years after this and holy cow, they coulda at least slung me something for my field research, because that unit now has a roof vent (not as classy as mine) AND a gate latch (assume not galvanized...?  :blink:

I hope they perform better now, but this past fall my "Experimental Recall" as I used to call it went to the dump.  Permanently.   The LCDs in  electronic unit up top were failing and I couldn't read temp settings, and then the buttons went as well.  At $70+shipping of $15 I decided to play it Taps.  Was going to turn my back on Masterbuilt forever for denying me royalties on my discoveries....  But I did like their new uninsulated electric unit that was NOT digital.  A simple potentiometer and element, each easily replaced caught my eye.  It was also built on 12" legs which was appealing. And Cabelas Christmas deal price sealed it for me.  Have used it three times since November and I like it.  It does drip terribly and I should get a metal drip tray to put under it, but otherwise I'm happy.  

Might drag it out today after reading this thread...    That's some good looking food, y'all.  

• Like 1

Well done indeed Senor Presidente.  Inspired by your post in 24:24 I fired up the smoker and cooked a nice Prime brisket last night (still have not slept).  In my delirium and hunger I forgot to photograph it before my friend, his family and I devoured it.  Nothing like well cooked brisket! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Electric is good for convenience and ease. Try out a coal burner if you're looking for a proper bark. Don't forget the burnt ends!! Try not to get too hung up on temps. Feel is important, especially for large cuts of meat where cooking temps aren't uniform
2dcf1f3c7fdfb21133f906fcb9350de2.jpg931bf4d31fbfdffa7e7788107577fca0.jpg611f9b25a4f4fda92ae3ba074010e683.jpg

Now that's how it's done!!!!

• Like 1

The missus bought me a gas smoker for Christmas and keeps telling people its the only gift shes ever bought me that has benefitted her directly

Been playing around with brisket and pulled pork for the last few months

Loving it

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dmpotocek said:

I second this. I have a really nice weber but I find myself using my electric smoker about 95% of the time. It's so easy to put something on before bed and let it roll throughout the night. 

• Like 1