Cigars With a Beginner

I'm yet to encounter a cigar that even gives me a buzz, much less put me on my ass.  My brother in law, who rarely smokes cigars, claims the Cubans I give him are some the smoothest he's ever had.

2 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Some nice cigars you shared. I agree that I find the siglo vi to be a bit of a let down, especially for the price. If it cost ten bucks I wouldn't say that, however at 30 plus I expect more. 

My tastes ebb and flow but the Sig VI has long been a cigar I appreciate at various stages of its life, and one I find to have very consistent construction. Having said that I do agree in the "value" department they, like many Cohibas I might argue, don't stack up as well. 

Many veteran American smokers have tastes for quite mild cigars. Macanudo, for example, was for many years one of the best selling NC cigars and probably still has a decent market share. When I first started smoking cigars in the early 90s, most available NC cigars were quite mild. The stronger NC cigars were very harsh and unpleasant tasting. I recall smoking some Dominican NC Partagas around 1993 that made me want to barf. But US smokers have for many decades gravitated toward quite mild smokes in general. In the mid-90s I smoked my first CCs and was blown away by their richness and power without the harshness usually accompanying NCs. I always used to describe them as strong, but not harsh. NCs just couldn't deliver strength without harshness in those days, and to some degree they still struggle in this area.

And there were indeed some CCs that were very strong in those days. The PSD4, Monte 2, BCE, for example--these were firecrackers. Very powerful and strong smokes that would knock an inexperienced smoker on his end. And some others could be quite tannic or ammoniac without age like the Punch SS1/SS2 or RyJ Cazadores. So it's very possible that if a novice got hold of any CCs back in those days, they would have reported an experience pretty consistent with what you describe.

Nowadays, most CCs aren't quite as strong or rich as they were 20 years ago IMO, but I do believe many CCs have developed a smoothness or "creamy" quality that was less common then. And of course I still do believe they are still richer and more complex than NCs even today. I do think, however, that some NCs are very strong now--some stronger than most CCs, particularly with the pepper/spice aspect with much of the harshness gone, but I think the strength is kind of an unrefined one, like just adding cayenne pepper to food doesn't change or enhance the flavor--it just makes it spicy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Hoze said:

My tastes ebb and flow but the Sig VI has long been a cigar I appreciate at various stages of its life, and one I find to have very consistent construction. Having said that I do agree in the "value" department they, like many Cohibas I might argue, don't stack up as well. 

That's true regarding cohiba and value in general. However, I'm more than pleased to throw down coin for the lanceros, for instance. And I would also point to the siglo iii as being a better value cigar than the vi.  All in all, I'd take the iii over the vi any day of the week. 

• Like 1

I've also had friends with limited experience claim they've been asskicked by CCs.  In some cases, the culprit had a dark wrapper (after all, dark wrappers have kickass strength, right?) and in some cases the asskicking occurred while on holiday at Caribbean resorts. 'Nuff said.  Perhaps I need to do a better job of unsubstantiating their claims, but they're not really into cigars to begin with so I'd probably just be wasting good tobacco.

• Like 1

There is nothing better than sharing cigars. Nice work El Hoze :party:

I have had more than a few NC's that are blistering ligero sticks. Not so many CC's and those that I have had were poorly blended in the main or just not ready to smoke. The first tastings of the Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos AP Regional comes immediately to mind. 

In the situations where I have been with those who's experience has predominantly been lighter format cigars, most Cubans are within their palate range as long as they have been stored well and have a little bit of down time. I still don't hand out Upmann 46/ Partagas 898 V or a young BBF/Boli Petit Corona to them. Plenty to choose from however that will allow them to hopefully appreciate the silky nuances of Cuban cigars 

• Like 2

Some nice cigars you shared. I agree that I find the siglo vi to be a bit of a let down, especially for the price. If it cost ten bucks I wouldn't say that, however at 30 plus I expect more. 

I've yet to have one....But have been told they need a minimum of 5 yrs to be of any good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I find Cuban cigars to be on the medium to medium-light spectrum of cigars.  Sure a cigar with a 2 month old box code can be quite punchy; they are pretty hard to find.  I like them either fresh or aged...

Nicaragua is king of strong cigars, followed by Dominican Republic.  The old NC portfolio from Dunhill ran the spectrum from lighter stuff like Temple Hall to other end of their catalog that escaping me right now; been like 20+ years ago since Dunhill store closed in Boston...

Part of the preference has to do with the environment the cigar is being smoked in.  Golf course cigar isn't going to be whopper like a post dinner cigar.  Many US smokers may be casual and the golf course is more expected than the after dinner.  Been a long time, but the 50 cabs of Punch/HdM NC Rothschilds were pretty strong and have long USA customer history.  Were more popular before Padron made it big.  

wow excellent selection of cigars i for one love mild cigars no strength just flavor and for the most part Cubans are just perfect for me, although there are a few sometimes that i get a buzz on those epi's are just so good and never had any problems with the siglo line and nice age on the epi 1 most of my stock is from that period of 04,05,06 and 07 so i know that epi 1 must have been out of this world