How deep are you going on the '17 discontinued list?

I've never reacted in years past to buying up before something was going to be discontinued because I had such low inventory.  After buying like crazy from '14 and '15 stock, I was really hit with one of my favorites being made unavailable (BCG). 

I bought my first ever box of VR DA's and I bought my first cab of Punch DC's.  Aside from a full cab of BCG's and partial boxes from '07, '11, and '14, I've ordered 3 more boxes of BCG's and contemplating 2-3 more and get me up to about 9 boxes total, the deepest of anything I own. 

What are you buying up before they're gone and just how deep will you go? 

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing. Life goes on and there are plenty of other cigars I like.

I don't think any one year of cuts has affected my regular rotation as much as this year's. Boli Tubos No 1 and HUPC are two major blows. BCG had been performing so well I went for a box and was richl

I buy what I already really like... not chase what's being discontinued...

Guest Nekhyludov

I'm in the same boat. I try to avoid panic buying when these lists come out, especially this year since my humidor is almost completely full. 

But when I saw that Punch Punch cabs are going away, I cleared some space and placed an order. If I had any place to put a Punch DC cab, I would seriously consider blowing my remaining CC budget.

Picked up a couple more boxes of the Tubos #1.  Bolivar is dwindling away.  Picked up some others as well.  Won't be chasing any more.  Saving my money for the new Elegantes.   Anyone have any word on the RA Superiores?  Seems like they are thin on the ground. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

I'm in the same boat. I try to avoid panic buying when these lists come out, especially this year since my humidor is almost completely full. 

But when I saw that Punch Punch cabs are going away, I cleared some space and placed an order. If I had any place to put a Punch DC cab, I would seriously consider blowing my remaining CC budget.

I've never smoked one....tempting to get one just because it's a cab. 

For most of these cigars, recent price increases took them off of my buy list anyway. BCG is the only exception, I think the price point on them is killer. 50 cabs used to be cheaper than 25 count boxes, now it seems to be the opposite. Du Prince and HUPC used to be bargain sticks before the recent price jump. Not going to get any better with the discontinuation list now. Id just as soon stock up on H.Upmann Coronas Major, Punch dress boxes, etc instead.

• Like 2

I will definitely be trying to grab a box of Bolivar Tubos No.1 as I love the corona vitola and I value the unique blend this cigar has, even though I don't normally favour the 'earthiness' evident in the Bolivar marca, I do like the floral and marzipan you can get from the Tubos No.1.

I also will try to get some more H.Upmann Petit Corona and Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince if I can.

• Like 2

I can't play this game with HSA, it's a marketing ploy to clear inventory and drive prices up. I bought 1 box of the Cedros Deluxe #1 and Du Prince because I had few sticks left. Besides the recent production is smoking great, so I wanted to stock up what I like smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry for the noob question, but where is this "list"?  

As a CC novice, i'm focused on smoking off my NC stock while filling my separate virgin CC Humi with the "classics" -- BLS, RASS, Monte#2, Connie A; etc....(feel free to reply/PM with suggestions)  I'm still trying to learn the different CC taste profiles so that I know what I like and also understand the FOH reviews. Boss lady keeps a close eye on inbound package count so I don't want to waste a "slot" on a miss.  I don't smoke everyday so I'm interested in less quantity and more quality (home runs).

Back to the tread topic, in term of discontinued items, I won't miss what I never had.   Next year might be a different story.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

The VR DA's are something I've already smoked from getting a 5er before, but just never bought.  I got a killer deal on a box as well.  I also like the Punch DC's,but had never actually bought them in a cab.  Since the BCG is one of my top 3 cigars, I figure I better stock up because I like it far more than the RC's and the BBF's have just never done it for me for some reason. Thus, I'm smoking what I already like and getting more before they're no longer available (the Punch DC's in the cab format anyway). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I totally agree with Brandon.  However, this year's "discontinued list" contains many vitolas that I love, and I will definitely be stocking up.  I've already started making strategic purchases (RyJ CdL #1, HUPC, Bolivar Tubos No. 1, Punch Punch 50 cab, VRDA and BCG) and haven't noticed a big run on current inventory.  Most (if not all) of the vitolas are readily available at excellent prices.  Many have even gone on sale.  Go figure!     

• Like 2

Just saying... I've made the mistake early on, of buying solely based on recommendations, or fear of missing out. If you have a thick wallet, then go for master cases of everything. If you are married with kids and like me... no need to immediately drop a mortgage payment on different packaging, or cigars that you will be gambling on ...

I caved, VR AD's came up on sale at a stupid good price and I bought two boxes. I've actually never had one, but I do like a good Churchill/DC and the other VR's I've had have aged very well, so if it takes me awhile to get around to them it's no bother. Still eyeing Punch Punch and DC cabs, but can't really justify since they'll still be available in dress boxes.