Trump administration reviewing Cuba policy

Wonder if we will see a rollback of the recent policy changes towards Cuba. Specifically, the ability to import cigars and travel policies. Thoughts?

--

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration is in the midst "of a full review of all U.S. policies towards Cuba," with a focus on its human rights policies, as part of a commitment to such rights for citizens throughout the world, a White House spokesman said on Friday.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer made the comment during a press conference in response to a question about whether the administration of President Donald Trump planned any policy changes toward Cuba.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-reviewing-cuba-policy-white-house-spokesman-181030974.html

His decision could go either way.  I see logic in tightening or weakening our policies towards Cuba. Both suit our interests depending one's perspective.

Guess I'm selfish. I hope any US government policies keep the situation regarding habanos the same. 'Opening up' the market makes me shudder in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, JR Kipling said:

Guess I'm selfish. I hope any US government policies keep the situation regarding habanos the same. 'Opening up' the market makes me shudder in this case.

I am more concerned about human rights over whether my cigars will be in short demand.  What path is better for human rights is the debate!

My gut tells me if we rolled in with Starbucks and Wallmarts on every corner, the Castro regime will fall apart mighty quick.  Capitalism is a powerful draw.  We generally screw up any regime change, so we have go through the back door...  Toppling governments just does not work.

• Like 2

Well, I do agree with your last sentence. I find the rest of it to be a stretch (example is China). And I can't imagine why we'd want to subject people who never did us any harm to invasion by Walmart, Starbucks, and MickieDs - the characterless sameness of the suburban strip mall. Where one place looks like any other. - - The Cuban people will decide for themselves in any case. But this isn't a political forum (thankfully) so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Kipling said:

Well, I do agree with your last sentence. I find the rest of it to be a stretch (example is China). And I can't imagine why we'd want to subject people who never did us any harm to invasion by Walmart, Starbucks, and MickieDs - the characterless sameness of the suburban strip mall. Where one place looks like any other. - - The Cuban people will decide for themselves in any case. But this isn't a political forum (thankfully) so I'll leave it at that.

I want what the Cuban people want, and it sure as hell aint suburbia. I agree with Corgi, How we move forward is really based on your perspective. Did the USA do more than Cuban in the last couple years to open up relations? Yes. Did things get better for the Cuban people? To a degree. Should more be done by both sides? Yes, certainly. 

The one huge positive, regardless of your view, is that the two countries are talking again. Exchanging ideas, at least trying to work together on some issues. Thats a far cry from where its been for decades, seeing that progress lapse would be a shame. 

4 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I want what the Cuban people want, and it sure as hell aint suburbia. I agree with Corgi, How we move forward is really based on your perspective. Did the USA do more than Cuban in the last couple years to open up relations? Yes. Did things get better for the Cuban people? To a degree. Should more be done by both sides? Yes, certainly. 

The one huge positive, regardless of your view, is that the two countries are talking again. Exchanging ideas, at least trying to work together on some issues. Thats a far cry from where its been for decades, seeing that progress lapse would be a shame. 

You mean WERE talking again. There is a new sheriff in town, and I'm sure US Cuba policy will be evaluated. Obama's Cuba policy can be erased with a signature.

1 hour ago, JR Kipling said:

I use those two stores as simple example of stores that infiltrate all corners of the world.  Just as easily be Ikea, Carrefour, Lidl...  It's the locale and consumer that ultimately decide what works, but you get the idea...  When the bucks start flowing, it's hard to stop.

My fear is that although opening relations is a good thing, it can turn a sour note toward corruption on both sides.  There's so much money at stake and it's hard play honest.  This is Latin America...

• Like 1