Soft Flame lighters

Here ya go, ranging anywhere from $18 - $90 use code RCIGAR17 for 17% off

www.famous-smoke.com/search?kw=Soft+flame+lighter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've got a Xikar EX which I like a lot. Best used indoors. Although it says windproof, and it is, it's still hard to light a cigar in the wind whether or not the flame goes out. I use mine in non-windy environments.

http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/ex/

I have several soft flame pipe lighters and use those. I also use a lighter designed for BBQs. All of these work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Curious, why do some favor soft flame rather than jet? I understand jet flame burns hotter (which is a plus in my mind), but as long as the jet flame doesn't come in direct contact with the tobacco I don't see why anyone would prefer a soft flame. I always hold the jet flame about 1/2" from the tobacco, and wind doesn't affect it much,  it works great in just about any conditions. My soft flame lighters in the past have all had problems with clogging and breaking, whereas my jet lighters give me years of service with very few problems.  I've used wood matches many times, especially when I travel and my lighter gets confiscated or lost. but don't enjoy that. I also tried, once and only once, using a little spanish cedar sheet to light my cigar - ruined a perfectly good cigar! :wacko: 

I guess there is some novelty to it, or maybe some romanticizing? I just don't get it, what am I missing? 

Another Xikar EX user here. Although not the prettiest design, and despite also owning some "nice" IM Corona and Dupont (Ligne 1 and 2s) soft-flame lighters as well as two torches, the EX is what I almost always grab. Has become the standard lighter to me. It is extremely versatile, use it indoors and outdoors and I very much like its windproof hybrid kind of softflame. In cases where you've got difficulties to get a cigar lit outdoors with that thing conditions simply arent't set for an outdoors smoke for me anyway. What I like about a soft flame is, I don't have to hectically turn the crank as needed with a torch, just slowly turn the cigar. I simply feel more comfortable with that and the result appears always nicer, more even to me. For touch-ups, however, the torch is the better tool.

I heard it's not being produced anymore (?), so perhaps the Forte Soft as suggested by the @weirdneighbor might be an alternative? Looks as if both models were based on the same core technique (can someone confirm? - the heated-coil tech?). Guess I may need to also get one of those before my EX will do the exitus.

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

Oh, and I will let the flame touch the cigar all day long... No damage done. I don't believe in this 'don't touch the flame' stuff.

Concur, I guess that only holds true for lighting up using petrol lighters or matches (every fuel that may cause sooting). Not an issue with butane.

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Another Xikar EX user here. Although not the prettiest design, and despite also owning some "nice" IM Corona and Dupont (Ligne 1 and 2s) soft-flame lighters as well as two torches, the EX is what I almost always grab. Has become the standard lighter to me. It is extremely versatile, use it indoors and outdoors and I very much like its windproof hybrid kind of softflame. In cases where you've got difficulties to get a cigar lit outdoors with that thing conditions simply arent't set for an outdoors smoke for me anyway. What I like about a soft flame is, I don't have to hectically turn the crank as needed with a torch, just slowly turn the cigar. I simply feel more comfortable with that and the result appears always nicer, more even to me. For touch-ups, however, the torch is the better tool.

I heard it's not being produced anymore (?), so perhaps the Forte Soft as suggested by the @weirdneighbor might be an alternative? Looks as if both models were based on the same core technique (can someone confirm? - the heated-coil tech?). Guess I may need to also get one of those before my EX will do the exitus.

Can confirm: it does have the heated coil to make it windproof. Have not heard whether the EX is discontinued, sounds like it's just an extension if the Forte line. 

• Like 1

I have a couple IM Corona pipe lighters I like, one with a double flame nozzle. I also have a palladium DuPont Gatsby that hardly gets used. Go for a IM Corona pipe lighter, or similar flint and butane. It hurts a lot less than when your friend drops your expensive DuPont on the concrete sidewalk and dents it up...

Like Piggy stated, a soft flame is mostly impractical, but more about ritual and luxury. I mostly use my 5 dollar torches that I keep in the work van, suitcase, and desk... since I mostly smoke outside