For the recently initiated...let them rest.

1 hour ago, strikethebox7 said:

So true, and its a great concept for the wives to understand when she see's the mailman has delivered yet another box, and then you get the look, "but honey , the others need to rest first"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is sometimes hard to accomplish, eventually they'll accept it ... hopefully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

You guys are killin me.....I have no willpower......lol

IMO if you're going to smoke a stick from a newly-acquired box just take one ROTT.  For some reason CCs seem to smoke better before you put them into the humidor rather than smoking one after they've been in for about a week.  My hypothesis is that the travel time from vendor to buyer acts in a similar way to dry boxing.  Once you put the new sticks into the humidor it destabilizes them initially, which is why they taste bad and smoke poorly.  In general, I find it takes about 4 months in the humidor for the moisture content of new sticks to stabilize at the desired level. 

9 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

IMO if you're going to smoke a stick from a newly-acquired box just take one ROTT.  For some reason CCs seem to smoke better before you put them into the humidor rather than smoking one after they've been in for about a week.  My hypothesis is that the travel time from vendor to buyer acts in a similar way to dry boxing.  Once you put the new sticks into the humidor it destabilizes them initially, which is why they taste bad and smoke poorly.  In general, I find it takes about 4 months in the humidor for the moisture content of new sticks to stabilize at the desired level. 

Not sure about the 4 months part, but I've seen time after time when a stick ROTT tastes way better than the one beside it in the box tastes 2, 4, 6 weeks later.  I've never really dry boxed, since I figured storing at proper conditions precludes the need for that, but this makes me wonder.

- MG

Almost always I'll smoke one upon arrival to see how they're doing, where they're at. Sometime they can be amazing upon arrival.

Generally put them away after for a few weeks before trying the next though sometimes will dip in again sooner if they rocked initially.

17 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

Without question. Although I always smoke one initially and make some mental notes on what I thought. I have to have something to "compare" it to a year later or longer of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never smoke anything until it's sat for 30-60 days. Just too many variables in transit. 

7 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

I never smoke anything until it's sat for 30-60 days. Just too many variables in transit. 

I agree.  I believe Rob has a suggested formula of "x" number of weeks in your humi for every day in transit.  I can't remember his number, though, but I've seen him post that they should rest for at least 30 days, and 60 would be better.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:06 AM, MahDooRow said:

Out of curiosity, I used to take a newly arrived box from FOH, remove a couple of sticks and insert a digital hygrometer and then close up the box and ziplock it for a bit.  The hygrometer always settled at 65%rH +/- 1.  Ambient in the room at the time was sometimes 50, sometimes 70, so I was getting a reading of what was in the box, not the surrounding environment.  I had assumed that things would dry out a bit in shipment, but the cigars carry enough of their own water that, with the fine wrapping Greg, et. al. do the rH is maintained, varying only with temperature along the way.

3 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

Out of curiosity, I used to take a newly arrived box from FOH, remove a couple of sticks and insert a digital hygrometer and then close up the box and ziplock it for a bit.  The hygrometer always settled at 65%rH +/- 1.  Ambient in the room at the time was sometimes 50, sometimes 70, so I was getting a reading of what was in the box, not the surrounding environment.  I had assumed that things would dry out a bit in shipment, but the cigars carry enough of their own water that, with the fine wrapping Greg, et. al. do the rH is maintained, varying only with temperature along the way.

Shipments from FOH always arrive in a timely manner and packaging is excellent.  It should come as no surprise that rH remains pretty steady, but very cool that you've confirmed this with hard data.  I sometimes order from other vendors in which shipping typically takes longer.  The cigars are always very good quality, but the extended shipping times sometimes translate into a drier product upon arrival.  

is waiting 10 years long enough? :D but of course I just have so much patience (only for some things) but in reality some cigars even after just a few months are fine but even I have some  boxes  that I only wait for around 3-5 years

16 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

This morning at 8am I received a box of HDM du Prince from a recent 24:24 hand picked clearance. At 10am I took one out to smoke and put the others in a zip lock with a calibrated hygrometer. Ambient temperature 21C. Then I smoked the cigar. 

Appearance was dark mottled wrapper, dry looking without oily sheen. Cigar felt firm but pliant, no hard areas, and the foot did not look tight. It did not feel over hydrated. I would have guessed low to mid 60s.

The cigar smoked very well. The Draw was perfect. Burn was perfect. Part way through I left it for 5 minutes to make coffee and it did not go out. 

Taste started low-medium and steadily progessed to medium-full. Predominantly coffee (paired well with the black coffee I was drinking) with some interesting gingery/spice notes at various points. No harshness. Plenty of smoke. A very good cigar. Made my day. 

I checked the ziplock after a few hours. Humidity was 68.

I divided the cigars into a dry box at 62% humidity, a wet box at 72%, both with bovedas, and the sealed ziplock with no humidity regulation. I assume the ziplock will maintain the original humidity. 

I will re-test in 30 days. Hard to imagine that they will get much better though. 

• Like 1

that's the only way for you to know your own preference, doing your own testing methods, although 72% RH is really high you might like it at that high a humidity do let us know when your test is completed

• Like 1

I'll admit that I will usually try one before the end of the 30day rest period. If I like it it is game on if not I revisit usually at one or two month intervals until I feel they are worthy of sacrificing to the gods.

Most tend to do better with the recommended 30-60day acclimatization. If they haven't settled by then I will check in on them in six months or so.

I used to not give much credence to the notion of 'Travel Shock.'  How is one supposed to take cigars on vacation if you have to rest them a month once you land? :thinking:  And like the rest of you, I've had plenty of sticks ROTT that were just fine, but then I take a box of Sir Winstons to NYC, a mere 5 hour flight, and they don't taste like Sir Winstons anymore (the box is now resting in a pal's humidor).  Likewise I remember a box of Upmann PC's that were harsh upon landing in Saigon.  Letting them rest brought them back to their glorious selves.

Wish there was a better explanation for Travel Shock than the guesswork we have now.  Why are some cigars affected and others not?  it's a mystery! :confused:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1