Blind purchase with a $40 discount... what would you choose?

I would go for a box of Quintero Y Hermano - Favoritos. Cheap smoke, but can be surprisingly good. Good cigar to smoke while you working on something and dont have to pay much attention or to give away to your friends that dont smoke cigars, but want to try a real Cuban. 

2 minutes ago, mwaller said:

I have a $40 credit with reputable seller that only sells sealed boxes... What box would you get that won't totally break the bank?

Thanks,

mwaller

Assuming you can't even pick codes:

Boli Tubos 1, 2, 3

HUPC

PLMC, PLP

Monte 5

2 hours ago, seattledude said:

I would go for a box of Quintero Y Hermano - Favoritos. Cheap smoke, but can be surprisingly good. Good cigar to smoke while you working on something and dont have to pay much attention or to give away to your friends that dont smoke cigars, but want to try a real Cuban. 

Yep something like this and the forty notes will probably go close to paying half the cost ....they can actually be very good  ...enjoy what ever you decide

IMHO BCJ you hit the ground running with the initial puff and you get all those nice Bolivar flavors right away while Tubos #2 open up after the 1/3 mark. BCJ is a complete 30 to 40 minute flavor bomb. Love them  

If you like Bolivar and you're buying blind BRCs have been pretty consistent of late. 

2 hours ago, mwaller said:

How do Tubos #2 compare with the CJ?

I wouldn't buy Boli CJ or PC blind, especially without codes. I've had a lot of construction issues w/ CJ, and with the PC I'd want to know at least the date. There were some off periods in the last 5 years. 2012 comes to mind.

Recent Boli Tubos are superior to both the PC and CJ IMO. Much more consistent as well.  I've had quite a few PCs from 14-15 that have just had muddled flavors. The Tubos seem to be a bit stronger, spicier and earthier. The CJ can be great and tends to have a bit more of the classic Boli raisin/dried fruit flavor but again, I wouldn't buy blind. Overfilling is a constant issue with these.

17 minutes ago, BarryNY said:

RA Superiores or RA Club LE both 10 packs..........

The RACA are pretty solid, but I've had some bad luck w/ recent Superiores. Last box was ETP DIC 15 and they were quite unremarkable. I'd stick to 12-14 production on these. 

• Like 1

Upmann has been putting out very decent quality lately, so you are probably somewhat safe, if the vendor is reputable.

Regarding flavors, I'd go by Rob's recent descriptions on them.  They are usually spot on for me but YMMV.

"If you know Petit Corona then you know about the Upmann. If you don’t then do yourself a favour and find out. Simply, pure unadulterated Upmann goodness in the perfect 40-45 minute Petit Corona package.  Enjoy now if you like some mongrel in a cigar or put them away for the medium term in order to enjoy that dark espresso and shortbread hit.  Right now they are powerful, as powerful as anything I have smoked in a while. The espresso note is a triple shot. Delicious."

I should disclose that I love Upmann, so I may be biased; however, you are going to get biased opinions from everyone else as well.  We all recommend what we like.  That said, it is a very good smoke and one should try at some point.

14 minutes ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Upmann has been putting out very decent quality lately, so you are probably somewhat safe, if the vendor is reputable.

Regarding flavors, I'd go by Rob's recent descriptions on them.  They are usually spot on for me but YMMV.

"If you know Petit Corona then you know about the Upmann. If you don’t then do yourself a favour and find out. Simply, pure unadulterated Upmann goodness in the perfect 40-45 minute Petit Corona package.  Enjoy now if you like some mongrel in a cigar or put them away for the medium term in order to enjoy that dark espresso and shortbread hit.  Right now they are powerful, as powerful as anything I have smoked in a while. The espresso note is a triple shot. Delicious."

I should disclose that I love Upmann, so I may be biased; however, you are going to get biased opinions from everyone else as well.  We all recommend what we like.  That said, it is a very good smoke and one should try at some point.

I haven't been enamored of the the Upmanns I've had, but this description has me intrigued.  I definitely like a full-flavored cigar!

1 minute ago, mwaller said:

I haven't been enamored of the the Upmanns I've had, but this description has me intrigued.  I definitely like a full-flavored cigar!

Then go Bolivar or something else and not Upmann.

12 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Been wondering about that one... they are already sale priced.  Has the recent crop been consistent? The vitola is very appealing!

Punch Punch are awesome when you get good ones.  In general it's a pretty consistent vitola,  but personally I would not buy Punch Punch blind.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Been wondering about that one... they are already sale priced.  Has the recent crop been consistent? The vitola is very appealing!

I would smoke one in a house. I would smoke one with a mouse. I would smoke one here or there. Hell, I would smoke one anywhere. Just do it, and, you're welcome.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Frozen North said:

I would smoke one in a house. I would smoke one with a mouse. I would smoke one here or there. Hell, I would smoke one anywhere. Just do it, and, you're welcome.

Ah yes, Dr. Snus... one of my favorite authors of all time!

can never go wrong with a box of monte 4's, trini reyes (take advantage of that 40 bucks cannot go wrong with the trinis)

• Like 1