2017 Price Hike

Just curious if anyone here is aware of a recent price hike in Cuba?

Had a mule just return from the island and the purchase price of certain cigars had changed significantly.

For instance, the Trinidad Fundadores were 341.65 CUC instead of 261.70 CUC.

The Ramón Allones Superiores were 57.50 CUC instead of 53.50 CUC.

Now unless the staff at the Plaza de Las Américas have become crooks as well, then these are new prices for 2017.

Purchases were made on January 3rd 2017.

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

43 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

The Superiors were 57.50 each in November when I was there. They have been raising prices across the board for a while now, but I havent seen a revised "Official Price List" in a while.

Has anybody ever seen an "official" price list? lol

8 minutes ago, MaxG said:

Wow, wish I could find Superiores for $60...

- MG

You can. In Cuba. 

Unfortunately not a single retailer worldwide that I am aware of has these at close to that price, whereas most other cigars (other than "specials")  can easily be found at Cuban retail pricing. Wonder why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oliverdst said:

This is a huge hike in Fundadores.

Unless your friend counterfaited the stamp... although I fonte know the shop.

No doubt. Approximately 30%.

Good thing it's an absolutely gorgeous looking box.

A very reliable mule. Definitely no tampering. Receipt also provided.

And the purchase was made at one of the most "trustworthy" shops in Varadero.

Maybe they recently hired one of the crooks from the LCDH on Calle 63. ;)

I know in November lots of shops had stocks of expensive cigars put away in the back waiting for the price hikes to come for instance Conde Villanova had a mastercase of behikes and Reynaldo said he was waiting for the increases

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bulldog4 said:

I know in November lots of shops had stocks of expensive cigars put away in the back waiting for the price hikes to come for instance Conde Villanova had a mastercase of behikes and Reynaldo said he was waiting for the increases

Good to know. That would explain it. Thank you.

1 hour ago, JohnInCleveland said:

Personal experience, that LCDH you speak of seemed to be one of the more honest.  They priced by the book the times I was there.  

This is my personal experience as well, which is why it is the only location in Varadero where I will send an inexperienced mule.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ComancheKeen said:

I'll be in Varadero in a few weeks so I'll be able to confirm on the prices. Hopefully what I'm looking at picking up hasn't gone up as much as those Trinidads!

A 25 count box of Montecristo No. 4 was also purchased and the pricing on those had not changed.

Here's hoping you get lucky, my fellow brother.

You can. In Cuba. 

Unfortunately not a single retailer worldwide that I am aware of has these at close to that price, whereas most other cigars (other than "specials")  can easily be found at Cuban retail pricing. Wonder why.

One source has them for ~60 GBP. That's where all the flippers had their MUR 13s from.

• Like 1

The lcdh at plaza America is pretty honest. However, when I was there in July they had put there own mark up on some stock. All their cohiba was at least 3 - 5 cuc above the standard price (per stick), as was the montecristo no. 2. I know it wasn't an official price rise as the prices were as they should be in Havana. I would be surprised if the trinidads had risen in price that much, it looks like they have just added a bit on to a 'special' marca.

1 hour ago, David88 said:

The lcdh at plaza America is pretty honest. However, when I was there in July they had put there own mark up on some stock. All their cohiba was at least 3 - 5 cuc above the standard price (per stick), as was the montecristo no. 2. I know it wasn't an official price rise as the prices were as they should be in Havana. I would be surprised if the trinidads had risen in price that much, it looks like they have just added a bit on to a 'special' marca.

Unfortunate. Only one explanation in that case. They must have adopted the Calle 63 business model. ;)

Although, unlike the Calle 63 location, their mark ups are actually included in the price tag. 

14 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Unfortunate. Only one explanation in that case. They must have adopted the Calle 63 business model. ;)

Although, unlike the Calle 63 location, their mark ups are actually included in the price tag. 

I actually ended up buying from Calle 63 as they had a better selection while I was there. Those superiores are a great find! Both stores had mark ups on LEs and the diplonatico RE while I was there. Regular (non cohiba) stock was the standard price in both stores though. I put it down to being in a tourist spot away from Havana. 

Bound to happen sooner or later as I'm pretty sure the staffs at the two stores talk.  That combined with the ever constant price increases from HSA is making this expensive hobby even more expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...