Montecristo Petit Number 2

Saw the boys on this cigar from Feb 26, 2014...Yikes...

I've seen some better reviews but in FOH's opinion- Have these gotten any better from what the boys had?

Suckling gave it a 96!?

Edited by SaintMickey®
added suckling

I've just enjoyed reading the following thread on the Montecristo Petit No.2...

There's some interesting comments. Some members love them, some (like myself) aren't enamoured by the vitola (I'd rather reach for the similar-sized Montecristo Petit Edmundo) and some recommend a period of rest for a better smoking experience.

I then compared these responses to @soutso's glowing review here...

So, what can one say? Some people love them, some don't and maybe James Suckling's review is based on more recent batches? Perhaps 2015-16? Also, we need to consider that Suckling recently mentioned, in his blog on his top 10 cigars for 2016, his love for torpedos.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I've just enjoyed reading the following thread on the Montecristo Petit No.2...

There's some interesting comments. Some members love them, some (like myself) aren't enamoured by the vitola (I'd rather reach for the similar-sized Montecristo Petit Edmundo) and some recommend a period of rest for a better smoking experience.

I then compared these responses to @soutso's glowing review here...

So, what can one say? Some people love them, some don't and maybe James Suckling's review is based on more recent batches? Perhaps 2015-16? Also, we need to consider that Suckling recently mentioned, in his blog on his top 10 cigars for 2016, his love for torpedos.

Thanks for your great reply. No doubt that "date of production" must affect. I'm going to take the plunge and see...(gulp).

Hey if they've gotten better I want Rob to sell some more!!!!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

Thanks. So after 2015 they got their act together on these...good to know and I realize nothing is for sure but death and taxes...

We got them to smoke outside when dog walkin' lol. In winter.

3 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

Sure, some smoke faster, slower. PM me if you want to trade a couple to try. Then you can buy a box. I got them here.

I just pulled the trigger on these but thanks for the offer to trade...I'm sure there will be a next time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

Thanks. So after 2015 they got their act together on these...good to know and I realize nothing is for sure but death and taxes...

That's what I'm hearing as well. Early/original production (2013/2014) was quite unimpressive but 2015 onward has improved substantially. 

• Like 2

I've been slowly working my way through a RAE Nov '13 box of 10, and honestly they've been great both in flavor and construction.  I had not seen Robs review before I bought them, I probably would have stayed away!

Personally, I like the vitola.  For me the torpedo head makes a short stubby cigar more tolerable.

Definitely, nothing is for sure with regards to cuban cigars :cigar:

I've had an OR box and they are nothing to write home about. Newer production may be better but since the price is close to a "real" #2, why bother?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

I've had an OR box and they are nothing to write home about. Newer production may be better but since the price is close to a "real" #2, why bother?

Agreed on price same. That might be Rob waving us off of his current stock/dates. I found a box from a regular source that was having a boxing day sale or something...I confirmed they are late 15 or 16. Giving them a try.

" userid="649"] Agreed on price same. That might be Rob waving us off of his current stock/dates. I found a box from a regular source that was having a boxing day sale or something...I confirmed they are late 15 or 16. Giving them a try.

Please let us know how you fare!
  • Like 1