Used Cigar Shop Humidor - Cigar Beetles?

Hello.  A cigar shop is selling one of its used commercial-sized humidors.  I was thinking of buying it, but then became worried about the prospect of cigar beetles/larvae hatching later.  Is there any way to guard against this and/or sanitize a commercial humidor that anyone knows about?  Any other thoughts on this prospect, or on buying a used cigar shop humidor generally?

Pretend that I do not want to take the owner's word about whether he's had beetles in the past.  Also please don't say "keep the temperature below XX degrees and you'll be fine."  I do not want to face contingencies.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Shops sell used humidors all the time no need to worry about that per se. 

Regarding beetles they live on tabacco, if there is no tabacco inside the humidor there should he no beetles. 

If you are concerned about it air out the humidor a few weeks.

Maybe clean the humidor with a soft cloth and alcohol/water mixture .

Adult beetles (they can fly) wouldn't stay in an empty humidor, larvae would die without anything to eat, and eggs are laid on tobacco, not in a corner of an humidor…

btw, one of the reasons spanish cedar is the prefered wood is that most insects/pests hate its odor.

Just give it a blow of vacuum cleaner, and fill it!

• Like 1

As my previous speakers have said, no risk regarding adult beetles and eggs. The only issue you could theoretically face would be pupated larvae. Those can potentially be found in corners of boxes and humidors, i.e. further away from tobacco. You can visually check for them, though not easy to spot, in particular if there are gaps and groves. If you are seriously concerned, there are only two safe options (apart from pesticide use): Either heat-treat the whole thing (as is done with antique furniture = expensive and/or risk of damage if not done properly) or "incubate" your humidor for >three weeks at elevated temperature (~28 °C) and high humidity, until the remaining larvae hatch.... Though, seriously, I guess that would be hyperbolizing.

I have an article around here somewhere regarding the lifecycle of these beetles. Apparently, even below 60F, without the resources for food, they don't live long. I already owe people 'white papers' I cannot find, so promising is useless. If you leave this in even a cool area for a fortnight, you should be well rid of the fear.

-Piggy

1 hour ago, Trevor2118 said:

Good job Trev. that looks to be the one!

most cold-susceptible stage in the life cycle. At 20°C, most eggs hatched normally within 4 wk, but all eggs died within 6 wk at temperatures less than 18°C. This result agrees well with those of Howe ...

Pretty much what I recalled from the article. Thanks for putting it up! -Ray