Two boxes under $300. Help me out

SloppyJ

Hey guys, my birthday is tomorrow and I decided to treat myself to a couple of boxes. I'm new to the game but have tried quite a few different sticks. I normally split boxes with a buddy so I have more diversity than quantity. I'm running low so it's time to get some more. Here is what I have currently, most I only have 2-4 sticks left. I came from smoking Nic's for a few years so I tend to enjoy the more full bodied cigars but I can tell that I'm starting to enjoy/appreciate the subtle nuances in CCs. Lately, I've been gravitating to the PC size more because it's HOT and I smoke outside. They are the perfect size leaving me content without spending 2hrs smoking. I mostly smoke when I'm fishing. Maybe 1-2 sticks per week. 

RASS: Only okay for me. Still can't figure out why everyone loves them.

JL #2: Surprisingly one of my favorites. 

PSD4: Had 1 stick out of 5 that blew my socks off. The others were just okay. The one that was amazing didn't taste much like the others. It was very creamy in a way.

BBF: Probably my top choice.

Epi 2: Like these too, creamy and tasty. 

Monte 4: Not crazy about the Monte's I've had. A little dull for me. Again, just my palate. 

Trinidad Reyes: Would buy them again.

Monte #2: See above

RyJ wide churchill: Like the monte's, a little dull for me. 

BPC: Just split a box of these and they are fantastic. 

So here's my situation, I want to get 2 boxes on a $300 budget but I have no idea what to get. I'm pretty sure I want one box to be PLMC but not 100% on that. The other box, I have no idea, but it needs to be under $175. Any help is appreciated. Du Prince maybe? Also, thinking about branching out to less popular brands like La Gloria Cubana, St. Louis Rey, or El Rey del Mundo. Thanks for the help! 

Been eyeballing those as well. Same profile as the JL2s?

A bit more citrus imo, but I'm no expert

I like both jl1 and jl2 but he indicated he has jl2 and enjoyed them. Sounds like the natural progression to me:)

Your palate sounds like mine when I was starting out. I'd suggest pick up some Upmann Connie 1's and Boli PC's . Consistently "on" and great flavour profiles.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Like 2

see   ^^

Upmann half corona

or Upmann pc

boli pc

Parti shorts

Hoyo coronations

all of these smoke well young,all have a chance of aging well...........

• Like 3

I have a fresh half box of Boli PCs that I think will be great. Smoked one ROTT and it was very wet but good. Letting them cool off in the wineador for a while but I think I will like them a lot. Wanting to branch out a little. Never had an Upmann. Might give the connie 1's a shot. 

• Like 1

Lots of good ideas here. I'm going to give the monte's another shot. I picked up a box of #4s on the 24:24 sale for pretty cheap. If I don't like them I know someone who will. I also picked up some singles to try. Connie 1, Choix, Unicos, and a Serie A to try out some different brands so I can decide on a purchase after these. I have enough cash for one more box. It's between the PLMCs or the HUPCs. Possibly the SCEPs too. Any thoughts?

Well I just couldn't help myself. Ended up with a box of Mote 4's, HUPCs and PLMCs. That should tide me over for a little while. Thanks for the help. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another vote for a cab or split one for the PLPC.  and also a vote for HUPC while they're still around.

Can't go wrong with the BPC either IMHO.

• 3 years later...

If you enjoyed the Reyes, the Trinidad Coloniales is another powerful Trinidad cigar.  A bit larger Corona at 5¼ × 44.  Great draw & construction, and a bit more finesse than the Reyes IMHO.  Vegas Robaina Famoso is a powerful full-bodied cigar, with lots of sweet spices a la Partagas.  Both of these boxes fall into the under $300 category individually.  Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas are my favorite representation of the brand IMHO....I'm not much for RASS either honestly.  Bolivar Corona Jr's, Partagas Shorts, Magnum 46 comes in a 15 pack Tubos.  Any one of those is under $300.  Buy some mixed singles of these from out host if you're looking for a bit more variety, and tack on one of the smaller cigars I listed to keep it budget friendly.  Happy hunting!

If you enjoyed the Reyes, the Trinidad Coloniales is another powerful Trinidad cigar.  A bit larger Corona at 5¼ × 44.  Great draw & construction, and a bit more finesse than the Reyes IMHO.  Vegas Robaina Famoso is a powerful full-bodied cigar, with lots of sweet spices a la Partagas.  Both of these boxes fall into the under $300 category individually.  Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas are my favorite representation of the brand IMHO....I'm not much for RASS either honestly.  Bolivar Corona Jr's, Partagas Shorts, Magnum 46 comes in a 15 pack Tubos.  Any one of those is under $300.  Buy some mixed singles of these from out host if you're looking for a bit more variety, and tack on one of the smaller cigars I listed to keep it budget friendly.  Happy hunting!
Three year's inflation on prices to factor in...

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• 5 months later...

Trinidad Reyes is way above level of many cigars out there , def not a flavor bomb next to how flavorful JL2s and Royal Coronas have been lately (though for me it is )

But I keep getting blown away from 7 plus year aged boxes . They do things cohibas can't with age , and at a price point it's a purists sleeper. I don't expect they will always be extraordinary but for now I will keep stacking a box a year to age.

I hope their fuller smoke , the new robusto extra replacement will be offered in more than 12 and more reasonable availibity prices , happy to pay 350 for a full box of 25 but haven't had chance to try the new ones. Reyes is a true Trinidad and best in that format.

• Like 1