Jose L Piedra Cazadores

ATGroom

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A CCW user recently sent in some pictures of suspect JLP Cazadores that raised a couple of questions for me.

The story is that he purchased five five packs of Jose L. Piedra Cazadores. He has used the retailer before, and never had any issues. Two of the packs came as the pack on the right, three as the pack on the left. His question was basically “are these fake, or is it possible that I have gotten some old stock.”

A few things:

I’m not certain on this, but as I recall, the JLP packaging redesign occurred with the new bands around 2007.

The box on the left is consistent with pre-2007 JLP packaging. The Habanos seal is the style that was used 2005-2009, and the warrantee seal lacks the hologram that the new box on the right has.

The bands on both cigars are the new style – seems like this could be put down to Cuba being Cuba, as I’m sure they wouldn’t have run out of bands and boxes at exactly the same time.

The cigars on the left are individually cellophane wrapped. As far as I know this was never the case with old or new JLPs.

Thoughts?

post-1177-0-33077100-1463720350_thumb.jppost-1177-0-54925600-1463720353_thumb.jppost-1177-0-45370900-1463720355_thumb.jp

I don't know but you would have to be pretty hard up as a faker to fake JLP's.

I think your retailer has found a couple of older boxes tucked away or as you say Cuba has even shipped them like that. Both plausible.

• Like 1

I agree, it's not exactly a high margin profit on a fiver of JLP, fake or otherwise. Well aged and should be smoothed out flovourwise, should be an interesting comparison between the packs. The date would have been on the outer 5x5 box so you'll never know when they're from for sure.

I recently received 5 5 packs of Conservas with 2011 box dates. There's really no money to be made faking JLPs. 25 Cazzies are worth the same as what, 2 maybe 3 esplendidos? It doesn't take much more effort to fake a box that costs 4 or 5 times what these did. The individual Cello wrap is not something I've ever seen on any JLP of any vintage, but again, that doesn't mean its never happened.

It would also be extremely stupid for a vendor to send out two fake boxes along with three real ones for comparison. Everything looks good to me, the wrappers actually look great in the photo. My 2011s are far superior cigars to the 14s and 15s I have. Much smoother and more complex. I say smoke em.

Some faker somewhere: "It's the perfect crime! Nobody ever suspects fake JLP!"

Me, I always thought JLP tasted fake anyway.

• Like 1

Two things:

The cello sleaved pack raises concerns for me.

I don't know but you would have to be pretty hard up as a faker to fake JLP's.

Don't forget...the JLP is one of the seven Global brands, and in 2006 JLP accounted for 11% of all Cuban cigars sold. Therefore there is a huge market for these cigars.

• Like 2