Cohiba - Aging Questions

My only concern with this is that it might be a biased viewpoint that is easier to have when you already age cigars simply due to the quantity you own, I am in the same position, but still find myself wondering which cigars to keep 'just in case '. As a simple solution of sorts I band together and keep five cigars from every box I buy, it's not perfect but gives me both options - smoke most when good/great, keep a handful just to see what happens.

But if you don't have stock for aging I do think it becomes a more difficult decision.

I respect what you are saying. My point is that none of my cigars are off limits. If I have a box of XYZ where the first cigar is just average I may try another a few weeks later. If still unimpressed that box may sit idle for 6, 12 or 18+ months until I come back to it. This is how my cigars age. However, if I have a box where every cigar is better than the last I will smoke them whenever I care to. I don't care if they are 1,2 or 3 years old. But you are right, over the last 6+ years I have bought a heck of a lot of cigars. I have lots of options and intern lots of my cigars age because I like variety. I am not one to smoke the same cigar everyday for a week, or month.

Another point I was making is that I don't really care if Cohiba is best at 5+ years. I think these long held beliefs come from a bygone age when cigars were rolled so young, or so strong, that they were near unsmokable. In the past few years cigars are so approachable that this methodology may not be appropriate. For cigars rolled outside the last few years they are now considered in the "zone" of age most claim they need to be in to be smokable.

So yes, my point of view is biased because I own a lot of cigars. Fewer than quite a few here, but more than some I'm sure. I guess my biggest difference is my attitude towards them. You are not guaranteed that a good cigar will be good a year from now or 10. If you enjoy them now, smoke them. To hell with denying yourself hoping they might get even better!

• Like 2

In my opinion, certain Cohibas I have in my stock I feel are great smokes now that also have a track record of getting better (i.e. Recent CoRo's, Esplendidos, Coronas Especiale, and also the Lancero, from what I hear) With these, I'll general treat myself from time to time but never hold back completely since I enjoy them tremendously as-is.

Then there are some that I feel are okay young but definitely have room for improvement (i.e. Siglo IV, the BHK range, and even the 1966 EL). I'll smoke 1 every 6-8 months or so to see how they've progressed and they seem to get better; thus holding back as much as possible. I usually tend to kick myself for not remembering that they needed more downtime after I light one up.

But like others have said, if you like them now, save a few but enjoy them. There are certain cigars that I wish didn't age as fast while some I wish aged more quickly. But I came to realize that it'll never be perfect. It's like having a great great bottle of wine from 2009 or another great bottle of vintage wine from 1997. Both have different nuances to offer and be enjoyed, and both will be in the range of "great" or even "fantastic". It'll just be between time and value at that point, and time is money. peace.gif

I think I have 10 years worth of cigars at my current smoking rate, so the combination of my hording and my lack of time to smoke will "age" my cigars.

Oh my god... I just did the math after realizing I never looked at it that way and I'm in the same boat and that is only if I double my current intake!! I REALLY need to lay off of these 24:24's!!! (counting down the clock for the next one....)

My Cohiba collections has been slowly growing over the years and some of my boxes are starting to hit the 3 year mark. I have been sampling them and I have noticed an improvement over time. I know that typical aging time for Cohiba is 3-5 years. I have read members say that start trying them at 3 years and smoke them when you like them. However, being fairly new to the CC hobby I don't know how good can a Cohiba get. My main reason for asking this question is that I have a box of Siglo VI (LUB NOV 13). I have sampled two cigars out of the cabinet over time and they are amazing cigars and I could smoke through them right now. I don't want to burn through the box when they hit the 3 or 5 year mark, but rather keep them for special occasions. My question are:

How much "legs" do Cohibas have?

Would they improve up to the 10 year mark?

Is there a difference between aging the Linea Clasica and Linea 1492?

Apart from the Siglo VI, my stash also includes the following:

Siglo I

Siglo III

Siglo IV

Robustos

I am planning expand my Cohiba stash by adding these this year (if become available and pending funding):

Siglo II

Lanceros

Pyramides

Any input from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated. If you have experiences with aging any of the above, please provide input as well.

Thanks!

Cohiba is amazing from the get go, if it is not it is garbage, so if you age garbage you get aged garbage - simple

The rest is the same

While totally off the subject of cigars, I am glad that you are no longer in this situation. I remember reading some about you drinking iodine in a previous thread. My God...

All politics aside, I am very glad that you are in a better place today. If you were closer I would be happy to bring over some 20yo Cohibas and we could enjoy the simple pleasure of freedom!!!

Cheers mate! -Piggy

So you are telling me to smoke the Cohibas and not to wait around, but then you drop the "20 Year Old Cohiba" bomb lmao.gif

I might call you out on that Cohiba one day. If I am not mistaken you are in Austraila, if so I have close family there this is constantly bugging me to come down and visit. I might just drop in one day.

All good opinions. But there is an even simpler perspective. Buy more than you smoke and you will inherently end up with aged cigars. I have rarely set out to hang on to a box for an extended period of time. There are a few. But in general I bought cigars at a higher rate than I smoked. The result is that your cigars age.

I most definitely buy more than I smoke. I am pretty much at storage capacity right now and that is around 500. I somke maybe 50-60 in a year. I am sure that I will move forward to increase my storage capacity although I keep telling myself that I won't.

• Like 1

I had a cab of Sig VI from 2010. They were great around the 3 year mark. I smoked the last one Jan 1st of 16. It was a ethereal experience to say the least, 98 points. Burn, flavors and most important the room aroma in my home lounge I could of eaten. I wish I would of saved more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are telling me to smoke the Cohibas and not to wait around, but then you drop the "20 Year Old Cohiba" bomb lmao.gif

I might call you out on that Cohiba one day. If I am not mistaken you are in Austraila, if so I have close family there this is constantly bugging me to come down and visit. I might just drop in one day.

You are mistaken. tongue.png

Since Cuba changed the way they age and produce cigars in 2003,it has been a concern whether or not Cuban cigars would age like they did before '03.

Certainly more recent Cohiba and other Cubans have been more readily smokeable at an earlier age,but the time line has not established itself for current cigars.

Fortunately you have been monitoring your stash,and have noticed improvement,I think you will need to continue with your efforts,and look for any indication of declining taste in your cigars.

I really hope there will be improvement up to and past ten years.

This is really all you can do in any case.

I have had Cohiba and other Cubans with 5 to 10 years of age,and they all have been excellent smokes.

They had some of the characteristics I have found in pre 2003 aged cigars.

I doubt they will compare directly however since the type of tobacco has changed,as well as fertilizers,production methods,etc.

can you expand on what changes to place in 2003 or how things were conducted prior to 03? Heard this before.

can you expand on what changes to place in 2003 or how things were conducted prior to 03? Heard this before.

The most widely accepted hypothesis/theory is that they changed something in the drying/curing process, probably (allegedly) with boosted heating.

• Like 1

If the tradeoff is of the hypothetical change was something like

-- increased peak quality < 10 years of age

-- decreased peak quality > 10 years of age

...doesn't that seem reasonable? The overwhelming majority of their market will appreciate the (already observed) improvements and never notice the (feared, hypothetical) earlier decline.

• Like 1

If the tradeoff is of the hypothetical change was something like

-- increased peak quality < 10 years of age

-- decreased peak quality > 10 years of age

...doesn't that seem reasonable? The overwhelming majority of their market will appreciate the (already observed) improvements and never notice the (feared, hypothetical) earlier decline.

My personal experience with stock from 2003 onward reflects many cigars that I would consider "expired" after 10+ years or so. Smoked a fair degree of of 03-06 stock in the last few years and I'm surprised by the ratio of cigars that I don't see as having any room left and some blandness setting in. I've had the most success with cigars aged from 2-8 years, at least since the early 2000s.

It may very well be that long-term aging is no longer a safe bet with many marcas. The hypothetical changes made by HSA may have resulted in better performance under 3 years and peak aging of less than 10 years. We'll see as more 10+ year aged 2003+ product begins to circulate among us.

• Like 2