FORMULA 1 - 2016

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

10 minutes ago, skalls said:

I thought Ferrari wanted him?  Think Merc would give the keys to a guy that hasn't even driven a F1 car?

Cool thought though.

Well same as Max Verstappen really and he's done fairly well?

Sebastian Vettel rules out replacing Nico Rosberg as he eyes success with Ferrari

1525LB1D7626.jpg

Sebastian Vettel has made it clear he wants to remain at Ferrari in 2017 – and has a contract to do so – despite the temptation to join Mercedes following Nico Rosberg's decision to quit Formula 1 after winning his maiden championship.

Various names have been thrown about as to who could replace Rosberg, including Vettel, who many believe is growing tired of Ferrari's lack of performance after they failed to win a single race this year.

However the German insists Ferrari will be on the pace next season and he therefore sees no reason to switch teams.

"I think it's no secret the fact that me and Kimi Raikkonen have a contracts for next season," he said, speaking at the Ferrari World Finals event in Daytona on Sunday.

"We have not reached the goal this year, but now it is important that we do the best job at the factory over the next two months. I am confident that we will definitely present an improved package [in 2017]."

When asked if he has considered quitting after winning his first title, he added: “I think everybody is free to do what he or she wants. I respect his decision. I’m sure he’ll take time off before he goes on to do something else. I wish him happy holidays!”

Meanwhile Toto Wolff says hiring a "top driver" is his least likely option, hinting that either Pascal Wehrlein or Esteban Ocon could take the vacant seat.

"We have three roads that we can follow," Wolff told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The first is to think about having a number one and a number two.

"The second school of thought is to make use of our junior drivers, Ocon or Wehrlein and then the third path is to go on the market for a top driver. The third path I mentioned is the one I like least."

Niki Lauda: 'Half the grid' have been in contact with Mercedes

1738LB1D8728.jpg

Niki Lauda says "practically half the grid" have been in touch with him and Mercedes to offer their services following the surprise retirement of world champion Nico Rosberg, leaving a vacant seat alongside Lewis Hamilton for 2017.

Lauda admitted he took Rosberg's news badly, saying it had left the team "disorientated and unprepared" for next year, leaving the team in a difficult situation of finding a replacement at such short notice.

“A few hours before the public announcement. He told us by phone," Lauda told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I took the news badly, I didn’t expect it, nobody in Mercedes thought that he had had enough.

“At first I didn’t believe it. ‘Nico, what you told us, are you kidding? Is it a joke?’ But he said it was all true. Quite incredible.

"When I won the first title I immediately thought about how I would win a second. That's not the case with Nico. His decision has left us disorientated and unprepared, and all those who contributed to Nico winning the world title took it very badly."

Whilst Mercedes joked on Twitter that it had received various emails from drivers up and down the grid, Lauda says that is indeed the case, although admitted many are tied up with contracts and therefore they may be forced to take a risk with a young driver.

"Practically half of the grid have offered their servces," he said. "We have lost a champion – the best driver of 2016. It won’t be easy to replace him because all the drivers of a certain standard have contracts with other teams.

“Taking a young driver is a risk, we don’t know if he will be strong," he added.

Ricciardo: Rosberg has given someone an amazing Christmas!

Ricciardo: Rosberg has given someone an amazing Christmas!

Daniel Ricciardo says whoever replaces Nico Rosberg at Mercedes in 2017 has 'an amazing Christmas present' and plays down any chance of him ditching Red Bull next year. 

The Australian driver was present in Vienna for the FIA awards gala where Rosberg made his shock announcement that he is retiring from Formula 1 with immediate effect, less than a week after sealing a maiden world title. 

As well as paying tribute to the new F1 world champion in an Instagram post, Ricciardo says the German has suddenly given his potential replacement a huge gift with a title-contending race seat. 

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says identifying Rosberg's replacement will begin this Monday (5th December) with obvious candidates remaining unclear with the majority of F1 drivers already under contract for 2017. 

As a result, a wide range of candidates have been speculated including Ricciardo but the Australia seems to dismiss the idea of an equally surprising switch from Red Bull to Mercedes this winter. 

“The big news was Nico announcing his retirement, that was pretty unexpected I guess and he has just given someone an amazing Christmas present,” Ricciardo said. 

“Whoever gets that seat I hope they appreciate what they're getting. Good on him for having the nuts to say that is enough. He obviously achieved what he wanted so fair play.” Ricciardo recently confirmed a new two-year deal with Red Bull which will see him at the Milton Keynes team until the end of the 2018 Formula 1 season. 

In a typically jokey social media post, Ricciardo also dug into Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen for sweeping to a third straight FIA Action of the Year award and his second consecutive FIA Personality of the Year gong. 

“Max was there as well… if you are in the top three in your championship it is compulsory to go,” he said. “There are some other awards and Max took all of those ones. I am convinced he pays them but I am flying with him soon so I will find out.” 

BROWN: WE HAVE A CONTRACT WITH FERNANDO AND HE’S VERY HAPPY

rosberg-alonso

McLaren have no fears about losing Fernando Alonso to Mercedes after Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg’s sudden retirement, the team’s new executive director Zak Brown said on Monday.

“We have a contract with Fernando and he’s very happy,” the American told Sky Sports. “Obviously, he wants to be winning races, as do we, but I am not worried about that scenario (leaving). We are very comfortable where we are at.”

McLaren have not won a race since 2012 and have under-performed since the start of their new partnership with Honda in 2015, finishing sixth overall this year and ninth out of 10 teams in 2015.

Alonso, a double world champion with Renault, joined McLaren from Ferrari at the end of 2014 and has been disappointed by their lack of success. He is due to partner Belgian rookie Stoffel Vandoorne next year.

Formula One’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters last week that Alonso, a team mate of triple world champion Lewis Hamilton at McLaren in 2007, would be his ideal replacement for Rosberg at Mercedes alongside Britain’s Lewis Hamilton.

Rosberg announced his retirement on Friday, five days after winning the world title in Abu Dhabi.

Mercedes began their search for a new driver on Monday with non-executive chairman Niki Lauda saying at the weekend that he hoped the most-prized seat on the starting grid could be filled by the end of the year.

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, another driver mentioned in media speculation and a four-times world champion, ruled himself out of the reckoning on Sunday.

MIKA: Zak Brown can say whatever he likes, contracts mean nothing in Formula 1 - Let's wait and see what transpires

• Like 1

FRENCH DRIVERS HAIL RETURN OF HOME GRAND PRIX

start-paul-ricard-1983

French Formula 1 drivers have hailed the return of their home grand prix in 2018, ending a ten year absence in a country that has a rich legacy at the pinnacle of the sport. 

F1i legend Alain Prost told F1i, “This is a huge project, and great news for French motorsports, for the French automotive industry as well as tourism in the region. I naturally plan on attending the event and hope it will be a great popular success.”

Four times F1 World Champion Prost, was the last driver to have won at Paul Ricard when he won the 1990 French Grand Prix.

Former Ferrari driver and fan favourite Jean Alesi said, “Seeing the French Grand Prix return to Paul Ricard is the best racing news I have heard in a long time, I am thrilled as it brings back a lot of great memories. I’ll come along with all my friends to experience it as fan. Congratulations to Circuit Paul Ricard and long live the French GP!”

His contemporary Olivier Panis, the last Frenchman to win a grand prix in 1996, said, “Many congratulations to the whole team that has been working on bringing the French GP back at Circuit Paul Ricard. I am proud and happy. I have experienced it from the inside during my career and it’s quite special. We’ll be supporting the organisers to make sure the event is successful.”

Romain Grosjean, one of two Frenchman currently on the F1 grid, was thrilled by the news, “I am sorry I could not be there for the announcement of this great news. You can easily imagine how emotional it will be for us French drivers to race in front of our fans.”

“I have talked about it with others and to be honest I have had some doubts over the recent years and then all of sudden, thanks to many people pulling together, the return of French GP has materialised. It’s quite exceptional. Circuit Paul Ricard is a unique venue and I look forward to being there in 2018 and trying to win my first French GP!” added Grosjaen.

Newly crowned GP2 Series champion Pierre Gasly, who attended the press conference, said, “The wait has been long but now it’s over. A lot of fans in France have been waiting for it and it’s just incredible.

“I’ll do my best to be there, behind the wheel of an F1 car. That would be unbelievable to experience these very special moments,” added the Red Bull junior driver.

Soon to be Force India driver, Esteban Ocon wrote on Twitter, “Very happy to see the French Grand Prix back to the F1 calendar. Can’t wait to race at Circuit Paul Ricard in front of the French fans.”

Pascal Wehrlein feels 'ready' for step up to Mercedes

M28383.jpg

Pascal Wehrlein says he feels ready for the step up to Mercedes if the reigning world champions choose him to replace the retiring Nico Rosberg.

On Friday Rosberg announced his F1 exit, just days after claiming his first world title in Abu Dhabi.

There has been intense speculation over who will get the second Mercedes seat alongside Lewis Hamilton.

Wehrlein, a Mercedes junior driver and 2016 Manor F1 racer, has been linked to the drive. He has tested for Mercedes regularly and completed a significant amount of running on the new 2017 tyres with the team.

Mercedes says it will not rush its decision and will look over all of the possible options, but Wehrlein says he feels ready for the move if he does get the seat.

“One season in F1 is not a lot but I feel ready for the job and confident,” he said after picking up his Rookie of the Year award at the Autosport Awards on Sunday night.

“I'm sure Toto [Wolff]'s phone is overheating after Friday.

“I've done most days with the 2017 tyres and I think it's very important to have that experience."

Rosberg picked up International Racing Driver of the Year at the awards, while Hamilton was named British Competition Driver of the Year.

Baku chief explains decision to rename race Azerbaijan Grand Prix

070_M2L7656.JPG

The executive director of the Baku City Circuit has explained the decision to drop the European Grand Prix title for its Formula 1 race for 2017 and rename it the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Baku appeared on the F1 calendar for the first time in 2016, reviving the European Grand Prix moniker for the first time since 2012 when the race was held in Valencia, Spain.

However, with the publication of the final calendar for the 2017 season, the race was listed as the Azerbaijan Grand Prix after months of speculation about a name change.

"For our inaugural event, we wanted to position our country as a part of Europe, our race as a European one and also to showcase our European mentality to the world and demonstrate our country’s openness to foreign visitors who can easily visit and find comfort here," Baku City Circuit executive director Arif Rahimov said.

"We now feel it is the right time to rename our race to the ‘Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix’. After last summer’s race, many F1 fans discovered that our society is closely linked to the European mentality but now we feel it is the right time to draw attention to the fact that the 2017 race is also set in Azerbaijan and will be named thereafter accordingly.”

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix is scheduled to take place on June 25 in 2017.

Red Bull convinced they will be fighting for both titles in 2017

3-verstappen_red-bull.png

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko says the Milton Keynes based team are convinced they will be on the lead pace next season and will therefore be in a position to fight for both the Drivers' and Constructors' titles.

Red Bull have played a supporting role this season, having been unable to match Mercedes' dominant pace. The team finished second, 297 points adrift of Mercedes, whilst its drivers were third and fifth, having claimed a victory each.

But Marko is confident they will find the performance they need next year, particularly from the engine side, with supplier Renault promising big gains.

"The big step forward [this year] came from the engine side - and we have been told that we can expect a similar leap forward again for 2017," Marko told the official Formula 1 website. "And that should mean that we are very near to Mercedes power."

Meanwhile the Austrian is confident in the team's ability to deliver another strong chassis, as Red Bull have traditionally managed to adapt to major regulations changes well.

"On the chassis side we always have been good and this year’s chassis is one of our best - and all the data we have from the new car is very positive," he added.

"With the regulation changes for 2017, nobody can use the experience or the package that they have - and history has shown that we are always good when there is a regulation change. So we are convinced that we will fight for both titles in 2017."

Rosberg, Hamilton scoop top Autosport Awards

Rosberg, Hamilton scoop top Autosport Awards

Mercedes-Benz’s World Champion and runner-up earned the International Driver of the Year and British Competition Driver of the Year accolades at the Autosport Awards in London.

Nico Rosberg, the 2016 World Champion, was at the Grosvenor House Hotel to accept his award from 1996 World Champion Damon Hill, the only other son of a World Champion to replicate his father’s success.

Rosberg, who announced his retirement from F1, told the crowd: “First of all I need to say I came here for the first time 15 years ago. This is the most prestigious night of the year. When I walked down the stairs in front of everyone it was amazing - I definitely don't take this for granted.

"It wasn't an easy one and I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but here I am.”

Rosberg’s nine wins this season brought his final victory tally to 23, and he retires with 30 pole positions.

"It feels great to go out on top. It's been an unbelievable 11 years in F1 and it was definitely my best year," he said. "After Abu Dhabi the thought [of retiring] was still there and I said ‘if I do it, I'll stop.’ I didn't think I'd have the courage to do it, to be honest."

Three-time World Champion teammate Hamilton, who finished runner-up this year despite 10 wins, earned his fifth British Competition Driver Award, but was not present to receive it. Instead, his brother Nicholas went on stage to claim it from four-time IndyCar champion and three-time Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti.

Pascal Wehrlein earned Rookie of the Year in the awards voted for by the public, while Mercedes-Benz AMG received Racing Car of the Year for the W07, which won 19 of the 21 grands prix this year, was beaten to pole position only once, and earned Mercedes its third straight constructors’ championship with four races remaining.

Rosberg presented the award to Mercedes engineering director Aldo Costa and five of his senior engineering colleagues.

"It was such a dominant season really – even better than last year," said Costa. "The gap was not as big as two years ago, but we were much more consistent."

Paddy Lowe, executive director (technical) of the Mercedes team, received the John Bolster Award - named after Autosport's longtime technical editor – from Williams GP team icon, Patrick Head.

Ron Dennis's McLaren exit end of an F1 era, says Claire Williams

77861e214a80d371609443a4f2085299.jpg

The departure of Ron Dennis from his role as chairman and chief executive officer of the McLaren Technology Group marks the end of an era, says Claire Williams.

Dennis has been involved with McLaren since 1980, transforming the outfit into an automotive and technology group that has won 20 Formula 1 world championships.

Only Ferrari and Williams have won more constructors' titles than McLaren's tally of seven since then, with British powerhouses Williams and McLaren winning all-but one between them between 1984 and 1998.

After 36 years of Dennis at the helm, a decision was taken last month by McLaren's majority shareholders to place the 69-year-old on gardening leave until his contract expires in January.

Dennis, who holds a 25% stake in the McLaren Group, remains on the board of both McLaren Technology Group and McLaren Automotive Ltd, but will no longer have an active role in running the company.

b2b2ca166623d5278ca109051354c6e6.jpg

"For someone who has contributed so much to this sport I think it's a real shame," deputy team principal Claire Williams told Autosport.

"Williams and McLaren have had our feuds over the years but there has always been an understanding between Ron and [Sir] Frank [Williams].

"It's the end of an era.

"I don't know the ins and outs what has gone on, that's not my business, but for F1 to lose someone of Ron's stature is a shame.

"There is all this business about the next generation of team principals, but Ron still has his finger on the pulse.

"He has created an almost billion dollar business which employs 3,500 people and is a road car business, a technology business and one of the most successful Formula 1 teams.

"All of that is under Ron's watch. You can't take that away from him."

Dennis said he intends to honour his commitments to the group before launching a new technology investment fund later next year. 

b5b771151adb26d7ddc10d953e5bb9c8.jpg

I never understood why they called the Baku race the European Grand Prix.  Europe was 1500 miles away....  That's like calling Fargo winters balmy.

And in any professional sport money rules all.  Contracts are nice and all but if you could get a major payment to grab a driver then it'd be incredibly stupid to not consider much less outright take the payment.

My money is on Pascal getting a year to prove himself.  If he does he keeps the ride.  Otherwise I see Bottas moving up and Pascal getting into Williams maybe?  The 2018 season could see a huge crazy season

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skalls said:

I never understood why they called the Baku race the European Grand Prix.  Europe was 1500 miles away....  That's like calling Fargo winters balmy.

And in any professional sport money rules all.  Contracts are nice and all but if you could get a major payment to grab a driver then it'd be incredibly stupid to not consider much less outright take the payment.

My money is on Pascal getting a year to prove himself.  If he does he keeps the ride.  Otherwise I see Bottas moving up and Pascal getting into Williams maybe?  The 2018 season could see a huge crazy season

I think you're right regarding Pascal, even if they contract him for the one year which would give time for a few drivers contracts to expire at the end of 2017. Who knows?

I still like to think they just hire Mick Schumacher to try and do what RBR did in Verstappen and hope for good luck? ;)

Again, should they pick any other driver other than Pascal, could cause an issue with Pascal who has already been upset with Force India signing Ocon instead of him. He thought of himself as a favourite as FI use Mercedes engines.

Mercedes considering Alonso as Rosberg's replacement

Mercedes considering Alonso as Rosberg's replacement

Mercedes admits that Fernando Alonso is being considered as a candidate to replace Nico Rosberg next year, after stating it wants to find an equal number one to race against Lewis Hamilton.

The Brackley-based outfit is weighing up the candidates to fill its second seat next season following Rosberg's shock announcement that he is quitting Formula 1 after winning his maiden world title.

It is understood that Alonso was one of the many drivers who contacted Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff in the aftermath of the Rosberg news, with the Spaniard's record in F1 making him an obvious choice.

And although McLaren has expressed its confidence that Alonso will be staying in 2017 and is under contract, Wolff said on Tuesday that the two-time world champion had not been ruled out by his team.

"You have to consider Fernando," he told Sky in an interview. "He is a driver that I respect a lot.

"And he combines the talent, speed, experience, it is all there. But he is under contract with McLaren-Honda at the moment and we need to weigh all the other options up."

Fernando Alonso, McLaren   Toto Wolff, Mercedes AMG F1 Shareholder and Executive Director   Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG F1, Toto Wolff, Mercedes AMG F1 Shareholder and Executive Director

Spygate fallout

While Alonso's form ticks all the boxes Mercedes needs in terms of someone guaranteed to bring results, it is understood that there are issues that factions within the German car manufacturer have reservations about.

The potential for a troubled relationship with Lewis Hamilton is clear after their season together in 2007, while it is believed that the Mercedes board is still mindful of the damage to its reputation that was caused by Alonso's involvement in that year's Spygate scandal at McLaren that earned the team a $100 million fine.

While Alonso has not been publicly ruled out, though, it is believed that the chief candidates for the seat remain Mercedes junior Pascal Wehrlein and Valtteri Bottas – although the latter will depend on Williams being convinced to do a deal with Mercedes.

No number two

One thing Wolff is clear about, however, is that the team is searching for someone to slot in and race Hamilton wheel-to-wheel, rather than Mercedes finding a number two so it can throw all its weight behind Hamilton.

In the Sky interview, Wolff added: "We will maintain a system like we have. We will always have equal status for both drivers: give them equal opportunity, to the best of our ability – I say that meaning Abu Dhabi – and I think we owe it to the fans and owe it to ourselves that you cannot have a pecking order straight from the beginning.

"It is not what we would like to see happening."

MIKA: Doesn't matter WHO replaces Rosberg, Alonso, Bottas, Pascal, Ocon or Santa Claus, if either of these guys beat Hamilton on any race weekend, he will get the s**ts anyway...I for one would love to see Alonso.

MARCHIONNE: WE HAVE TO GIVE THE GUYS SOME TIME

160130-FM.jpg

At the start of the 2016 Formula 1 season Ferrari big boss Sergio Marchionne was filled with fire and brimstone as he demanded – make that predicted – results from his team, only to be left with egg on his face as the Reds did quite the opposite by not delivering a win all year.

As the reality of Formula 1 dawned on the team president, after all he is a Formula 1 rookie in terms of experience within the sport, he has toned down his rhetoric considerably.

Speaking to media at Finali Mondiali at Daytona, Marchionne said, “I think the change in August represents the beginning of the refounding (sic) of our sport management.”

“We need to give the guys time: they are working very well and we will see what they bring us, but I believe this is the solution. I have utmost faith in Mattia Binotto, for what he has been able to do in his career with Ferrari and what he is doing now managing the technicians.”

Reflecting on the season Marchionne said, “We were much more competitive than where we left in 2015. It’s not that we got worse, the others improved, but this is due to many reasons that we understand quite well.”

160160-FM.jpg

“Our technical director James Allison had personal problems and left, and I think you have to give time to the guys who have been together only months.”

“I have every confidence in Mattia Binotto but our problem was aerodynamics which we have had historically at Ferrari in recent years. Especially Red Bull this year did a fabulous job and left us behind,” conceded Marchionne.

In the light of Nico Rosberg’s sudden retirement, Marchionne was asked about the situation with Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, “Both drivers are under contract for 2017.”

But admitted, “What happens next, I don’t know, but I think a lot depends on how we manage the 2017 season. If we repeat 2016, I do not think we will have the ability to attract excellent drivers.”

As for Rosberg’s decision to leave Mercedes, Marchionne said, “I was surprised, but I do not expect Mercedes to be weaker without him. Rather, I hope Ferrari will be stronger.”

Also at the event in Florida, were Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, accompanied by team principal Maurizio Arrivabene.

160162-FM.jpg

Vettel and Raikkonen did demo runs on the day, but were tight lipped about Formula 1, although Vettel did say, “I have reasons to believe that we will have a much stronger package in 2017.”

With Arrivabene adding, “We have seen positive signs since the restructuring of the engineering office, for example, in Japan and Abu Dhabi.”

Red Bull extends Aston Martin partnership through to 2017

P-20160318-00015_News.jpg

Red Bull has announced that its partnership with British car maker Aston Martin will continue through the 2017 Formula 1 season.

Having teamed up ahead of the Australian Grand Prix in March, the partnership has spawned the AM-RB 001 hypercar which was unveiled at Aston Martin’s factory in July.

The striking hypercar was designed by Red Bull’s chief technical officer Adrian Newey and Aston Martin’s chief creative officer Marek Reichmann, alongside chief special operations officer David King.

Red Bull’s 2016 F1 car, the RB12, also featured the brand’s famous wings logo through the F1 season as part of its ‘Innovation Partnership’.

The Aston Martin logos will also feature on the Milton Keynes-based outfit’s 2017 F1 car.

All 150 road-going versions of the AM-RB 001 hypercar have been sold and it is expected that a prototype will run by the end of 2017, with first deliveries of the car in 2019.

“We first conceived our Innovation Partnership with Aston Martin in the realisation that it could be truly pioneering,” said Red Bull F1 boss Christian Horner.

“In blending our distinct but unique skills under a shared creative vision, we have already seen tangible development to both of our brands and businesses.

“The extraordinary success of the AM-RB 001 is testament to the expert and collaborative spirit in which it was forged, and extending our relationship with Aston Martin through 2017 was a simple and pleasing decision.”

Massa would come out of retirement for Mercedes seat

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Felipe_Massa3

Although Felipe Massa retired from Formula 1 just over a week ago, he says he would come out of retirement for Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes race-seat.

While Massa made it clear early in 2016 that this championship would be his last, Rosberg shocked the world of motorsport when he announced days after winning the title that his run was over.

Mercedes are now searching for a new driver to partner Lewis Hamilton with Massa admitting he would come out of retirement for the chance to race for the reigning World Champions.

“I am very happy with my decision to retire,” he told Globo Esporte. “But who would not want to race for Mercedes?

“Running in the best car was all I wanted but I do not think it will happen.

“I hope Mercedes find the right way and a decent driver.

“Racing in the best car is a pleasure for any driver but I am certainly happy with my decision [to retire].”

As for Rosberg’s decision to call it quits, the former Williams driver said: “It was a huge surprise to see him announce that he is stopping, after he has just won the championship, at the age of 31, he is young… No doubt it is a great surprise for everyone.

“But I believe he knows more than anyone else what he’s been thinking, what he’s been wanting to do. He did not decide this overnight.

“I wish the best for him and that he has a fantastic moment after being a champion.”

Questions with Daniel Ricciardo | Aston Martin

We caught up with Red Bull Racing driver Daniel Ricciardo during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend to discuss the new AM-RB 001 hypercar, his favourite Aston Martin, and his personal highlights from another successful F1 season.

Promoting Wehrlein to Mercedes F1 team 'not a foregone conclusion'

932cec14e3f76e6def309220cf74e07d.jpg

Paddy Lowe says it is "not a foregone conclusion" that Pascal Wehrlein will replace the retiring Nico Rosberg at the Mercedes Formula 1 team next season.

The Mercedes junior enjoyed an impressive rookie campaign in F1 with customer team Manor in 2016, and insists he is ready to step up to the factory squad if required.

Following the promotion of fellow junior Esteban Ocon to Force India for 2017, Wehrlein is one of the few existing drivers yet to secure a seat for next year.

There is logic to Mercedes promoting a driver nurtured from within, Wehrlein having been its reserve since September 2014, but Lowe said his team still needed to complete "various studies" before making the final call.

"It's not a forgone conclusion, we'll have to see who is available and do some analysis," Lowe said.

"There are different aspects, we'll be looking at previous form and what we could expect in terms of performance and consistency.

"It's one thing to be quick, but can you go out there and score the points every week?

"I just want someone who can score the points in the way that Nico has done."

Mercedes could attempt to prize a more established name from a rival outfit, with team boss Toto Wolff understood to have been contacted by a large number of F1 drivers already under contract.

However Wolff told Italian media in the wake of Rosberg's shock retirement that he would prefer not to chase after established stars like Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso.

1a9b8d26aed94c81eea3fb1fd4d1d10a.jpg

Lowe suggested Mercedes was more likely to focus on drivers that are "actually available".

"The first part of the process will be to find out what the list looks like, then we'll do our analysis," he said.

"I think we are going to have to look at candidates that are actually available.

"The fear in a way is if we can't find a decent pilot for the other seat to replace Nico, if we do have a strong car, might have a driver running away with it, which would be good for us, but not good for the show."

Lowe also said he was unconcerned by the prospect of exposing an inexperienced driver to the pressure of racing F1's top team.

"That aspect doesn't worry me too much because in my experience top drivers tend to step up to that plate and almost perform better when you give them a better context in which to do so," Lowe added.

"Drivers do step up if you put them into a better environment, but there's still that risk and we'll need to assess that.

"On top of all those technical and analytical aspects, there are softer factors to consider - like what's the fit with the company and the values of the company, and what they're trying to do for the team."

Pirelli wants more Formula 1 teams involved in tyre testing in 2017

76ae64b8ab8b6aefd9f68b50e072a085.jpg

Pirelli expects next year's Formula 1 tyre-testing programme to involve more teams, and include running on a wider variety of circuits.

Testing of 2017's wider tyres started in August, with 24 days at Fiorano, Mugello, Barcelona, Paul Ricard and Abu Dhabi completed using modified 2015-spec F1 cars from Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

The cost and time required to modify cars capable of simulating the increased downforce levels next year's technical regulations will generate meant the remainder of the grid were unable to take part.

Teams will start testing their 2017 cars next February, with Pirelli then aiming to lead a programme of in-season sessions focused on developing '18 tyres.

"The format is similar to what we had this year with the difference that we don't have the mule cars but we have a race car," said Pirelli racing manager Mario Isola.

"So I expect to have more teams available to test - we don't have the numbers but we are now finalising a plan.

"We will offer testing to all the teams and we will see who is available to test.

"Once we have the list of teams available we will make with the FIA a calendar in order to distribute or to make a rotation of the tests and distribute the tests equally."

73d5b14bca3fdb7c777967151c23e612.jpg

Pirelli is working with teams and the FIA to decide venues and dates for the tests, with the tyre supplier suggesting running them after races at the same venue to reduce costs and aid logistics.

"There are many venues but they are still under discussion," he said.

"We have some reference circuits like Barcelona, for example, or Paul Ricard for wets and I think we will use these circuits again.

"Probably we will stay, if possible, on the same tracks where we have the race on Sunday in a system that is similar to the in-season test.

"So the teams are already there and then from Tuesday, you have two or three days of testing.

"That's why we are evaluating also different circuits."