FORMULA 1 - 2016

VETTEL: I DIDN’T WANT TO BE IN NICO’S SHOES IN THE LAST COUPLE OF LAPS

Vettel Rosberg podium

Sebastian Vettel has endured a below par season, criticised for several of his perfomances, but at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix he showed his true colours as he pursued a place on the podium and nearly snatched second place in the process.

Ferrari have been criticized a number of times on the strategy front but today they absolutely aced it. Brilliant tactic – long second stint, attacking on the supersofts, tell us your feelings and particularly your decision-making process in the last couple of laps?
SV: Well, before I answer your questions, congratulations [Nico]… it was tough out there. I didn’t want to be in his shoes in the last couple of laps…
Well, in the last couple of laps it was clear. It was clear we would be able to make big progress but before it was difficult. Obviously with Max coming back, staying out so long, coming back to fight for the last podium spot, or the same positions as the group of Kimi, Daniel, myself, made it tricky. Then Max pulled in very early. That was one way to do it and the other way was to go long. When I was behind the two cars of Kimi and Daniel I was trying to save my tyres and trying to stay in reach but still having enough tyres to make it longer and once they pulled in it was clear that we would go long. Then I think those laps were really critical. Fortunately I had some tyres left and I could really make that count with consistent laps. I didn’t lose too much versus the group that had pitted already. Once I came out the question was ‘how long are these cars going to last’ and it proved to be just enough. Daniel was fairly straightforward to pass, but then when I arrived behind Max, the problem is that you have car after car after car and you begin to slide, so my tyres got worse. Then I was behind Nico and I was faster, but I think also due to the fact that Lewis was slowing down. I tried everything but they were very, very quick down the straights. I think with the Red Bulls it was a little bit easier. I think also, Max didn’t have DRS, whereas at the end I think Nico had DRS. The second straight was the spot I was having a look, but Nico defended well and closed the inside so I couldn’t really go anywhere. I couldn’t try something really stupid because Lewis was just ahead, so if I really dived down the inside or down the outside then I have a risk of hitting Lewis at that point. It as critical and I also saw Max coming back in the mirrors but for sure the last laps were intense, I was thinking also at some point to win the race as well, because I think the chance was there, but both of them did their job well at the end. Nevertheless, as you said, happy with the podium.

Could you have even more pushed on Nico in the last couple of rounds?
SV: Well I did what I could, obviously. At that point, you follow two cars, you slide, the tyres start to go too hot. I was struggling with my fronts at that point so it was difficult to stay close. So I did what I could. As I said, Lewis was probably a bit too close otherwise I could have had a better look. Nico defended well. Turn 11 was the spot where maybe I could have had a chance, and then maybe I could have had a chance and then towards the last laps he had always the tow also from the car in front, from Lewis. Without the tow, I think I could have had a better chance but that way it was impossible. My interest as soon as I passed Max was to win the race – but bearing in mind obviously that they are fighting for the Championship and… I mean we could all feel and see what was going on. Lewis was trying to back Nico up into the rest of the pack… I’m sure [Lewis] would [not] have waved me past as well. As I said, my main interest was in winning the race but I couldn’t get past both of them.

In a different condition, without the Championship deciding this last race, you could try something else? And when, during the race, when said by radio “it’s four laps that I’m asking to do something,” because in that moment you didn’t have clear picture of the race? You change something in the strategy during the race?
SV: Well, you have a plan but then, to be fair, you never know how the race unfolds. Obviously we are all starting from the grid, you might change position first corner, first lap. So the plan is flexible. I think you know what to do, you know where you can go with which tyre, etcetera, but from where I was obviously I was stuck. It was very difficult to make progress because the car in front of me had a tow from another car, so obviously Daniel was behind Kimi and therefore it was difficult for me to really get close and overtake. I was probably a bit quicker but not enough – and it’s also not the easiest track to overtake. And then I was asking to do something and at the same time Max dived into the pits and then that opportunity was gone, because it was really going for an aggressive undercut, going very long on the harder tyres, or the soft tyres. When that door closed obviously it was clear that Kimi will come in next, and Daniel, because they were battling each other and then I decided, we decided to go on the supersoft tyre, try to do something different which turned out to be the right thing. And at the end, could I have done more? I don’t think so. As I said, I was running out of tyres, I think. I have also one comment to make. I think, in my point of view, you don’t win the Championship by luck. Nico won the Championship today. He’s a deserved champion. You collect a lot of points throughout the season, sometimes you might have, yeah, fortunate situations, unfortunate situations with your car but I think there’s been other situations in the past with other drivers, that’s the way it goes. Sometimes you have better years in this regard, sometimes worse years but I think today is Nico’s day and it’s a sign of respect and greatness to give him that. I think we owe it to him, he’s a deserved champion.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

WOLFF: ANARCHY DOES NOT WORK IN ANY TEAM

f1grandprixofabudhabicxyz2nql5fmx

Mercedes bosses left open the possibility of disciplinary action against Lewis Hamilton after the Briton ignored their orders while fighting team mate Nico Rosberg for the Formula One championship on Sunday.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff warned of possible ‘anarchy’ and said he had yet to decide how to respond to a situation that threatened to undermine the team.

Hamilton, who won the race in Abu Dhabi but lost his title to Rosberg, slowed the pace deliberately in a bid to back his team mate into a position where rivals could overtake the German, who needed to finish on the podium.

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, a compatriot of Rosberg, described the tactics as ‘dirty tricks’.

Wolff would not go that far, at least openly, but he recognised Hamilton had ignored clear top-level instructions issued by technical head Paddy Lowe to speed up.

He added that while that could be understood in the circumstances, it was also a road that led to chaos.

“Undermining a structure in public means you are putting yourself before the team. It is very simple. Anarchy does not work in any team and in any company,” he said.

“The other half (of me) says it was his only chance of winning the championship… and maybe you cannot demand of a racing driver that is one of the best, if not the best, to comply in a situation where his instincts cannot make him.

“It is about finding a solution as to how to solve that in the future because a precedent has been set,” added the Austrian. “Let me sleep overnight and come up with a solution.”

Asked directly whether Hamilton, a triple world champion who has won 10 races for the team this season with 12 pole positions, could expect punishment, Wolff said “everything is possible.

“Maybe we want to give them more freedom. Or do (take) the more harsh side that we feel the values were not respected. I am not sure yet where my finger is going to point or the needle is going to go.

“You need to win and to lose with dignity,” he said.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, who has clashed with Wolff several times this season, said the criticism of Hamilton was unfair.

“He didn’t do anything dirty, he didn’t do anything against the rules. I think it would be unfair to criticise Lewis for the way that he drove,” he told reporters. “I wouldn’t have expected him to do anything different.

“It was only ever going to be that kind of battle between the two of them,” added Horner. “It was naïve to think there would be any different approach to this race with what’s at stake.”

Vettel accuses Hamilton of "playing some dirty tricks"

Vettel accuses Hamilton of

Sebastian Vettel was unimpressed with Lewis Hamilton's approach to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, labelling the Briton's attempts to back Nico Rosberg into the pack as "dirty tricks".

Hamilton needed Rosberg to finish the F1 title decider off the podium to stand a chance of the title - and, with the pair running 1-2 in the closing stages of the grand prix, Hamilton duly decided to back Rosberg up, first into the Red Bulls and then into the fast-approaching supersoft-shod Vettel.

The Ferrari driver, who was the quickest in the lead pack due to an alternate strategy, closed in on Rosberg after dispatching Max Verstappen with five laps to go, but could not get past the Mercedes.

"It was a difficult situation in the end with Lewis playing some dirty tricks," Vettel radioed in as the race concluded.

In the post-race press conference, Vettel then suggested that Hamilton had actually been not far enough ahead for him to feel free to attack Rosberg.

"Daniel [Ricciardo] was fairly straightforward to pass, but when I arrived behind Max, I started to slide and the car got worse," explained Vettel.

"Behind Nico I was faster due to fact Lewis was slowing down, but they were very, very quick down the straights. With Red Bull it was easier as Max didn’t have DRS, where Nico did.

"Second straight I had a look, but Nico defended well. I couldn’t try something stupid because Lewis was just ahead - if I dived inside or outside, I had the risk of hitting Lewis. It was critical and I saw Max coming back.

"Last laps were intense, I was thinking at some point to win the race. Nevertheless, I am happy with the podium."

Vettel insisted that he did all he could to get past Rosberg, although conceded he was mindful of the title fight.

"I did what I could," he said. "Following two cars, you slide and the tyres get hot.

"Lewis was a bit too close - otherwise I could have had a better look. Nico defended well, Turn 11 was where I could have had a better chance.

"My interest, once I passed Max, was to win the race, bearing in mind they are fighting for the championship. Lewis was trying to back Nico into rest of pack. But I couldn’t get past them."

Vettel then praised Rosberg, saying the Mercedes man deserved his title.

"I think in my point of view you don’t win a championship by luck, Nico won today and he is a deserved champion," Vettel added.

"Sometimes you might have unfortunate or fortunate situations with your car, but sometimes you have better years or worse years, and it is Nico’s day – we owe it to him as a deserved champion."

Massa leaves F1 a proud man

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Felipe_Massa_and_son

Finishing his last ever race in Formula 1 in ninth position at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Williams driver Felipe Massa said he is proud of what he has achieved in the sport.

Not as emotional as his send off in Brazil, the former Ferrari ace reminisced on his 16 years in Formula 1, saying his head will be held high as he departs the Yas Marina Circuit.

“I’m so proud for the way I finished my career,” he told Sky Sports.

“I was fighting the last lap in the same way I was fighting my first lap of my Formula 1 career. I finish with my head up and with a lot of respect.

“I’m really enjoying this moment, I’m happy. It’s an amazing feeling for everything I achieved.”

The Brazilian went onto praise 2016 World Champion Nico Rosberg after he won his first ever title and also congratulated fellow driver Jenson Button, who sadly ended his last Grand Prix in Formula 1 when his McLaren-Honda retired.

“You cannot forget Nico, he drove a fantastic championship. It’s a nice story that his father is a champion and now him, it’s nice for the sport,” said the 35-year-old.

“And congratulations also to Jenson, he deserved everything he got Unfortunately he didn’t finish how he wanted today but I;m sure he got a lot of love from the people.

“I’m sure I’ll keep enjoying my career, maybe another championship.”

DNF FOR BUTTON IN HIS LAST GRAND PRIX

jenson button

Jenson Button retired from his last Formula One race – the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – with a wave to the fans and a standing ovation after the McLaren’s front right suspension failed.

“We have a failure, guys,” said the 2009 world champion, who said this week that the season-ending race at Yas Marina Circuit would be his last despite having a contract that would allow a return in 2018.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had a failure like this.”

The popular Briton got out of his car in the pitlane and stood on it to salute the crowd, who returned the gesture with a standing ovation of their own, before giving his mother Simone a hug.

The 12th lap retirement brought down the curtain on a career spanning 17 years and 305 races, and one championship with the Brawn GP team that became Mercedes.

“Forgetting the race — I’ve always said it’s one race weekend out of 305. The result doesn’t matter, it’s the weekend that counts and it’s just been awesome,” Button told the BBC.

“Very emotional… amazing day and an amazing weekend. I’ve really savoured every moment of it.”

He will be replaced at McLaren, whose most recent victory was provided by the 36-year-old in Brazil in 2012, by Belgian rookie Stoffel Vandoorne.

Button had started the day recognising it was a momentous one for him.

“Today is the day that I will be strapped into an F1 car for probably the last time,” he had said on his Instagram feed, promising to give it his all from the moment the lights went out to the chequered flag.

“Whatever happens today I will always know I reached my goal and dream in life to become a Formula One World Champion. I arrived with dreams and leave with memories.”

'It has been a tremendous year for Force India' - Bob Fernley

jm1627no342.jpg

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley has hailed the Silverstone-based outfits 2016 season "tremendous", after securing their highest ever finish in the championship standings.

Force India have racked up 173 points, putting them fourth in the standings – 35 points ahead of nearest rival Williams – and one place better than they finished in 2015.

A double-points finish in Abu Dhabi confirmed that position and Fernley thanked the "dedication" of every team member for what they've managed to achieve on a far small budget than some of their rivals.

"To end the season with two cars solidly inside the points and with fourth place in the constructors’ championship feels fantastic," said Fernley. 

"It has been a tremendous year for us and it’s important to pay tribute to each and every member of the team for all their hard work and hours of dedication back at base and at the track. All the effort has paid off and we can now celebrate the best ever year in our history.

"Both drivers did a super job today, as they have done all year long.

"It’s great that Nico [Hulkenberg] could end his time with us on a high note and we thank him for everything he has done for us during his five years as a Force India driver.

He’s been a big part of our journey up the grid and it has been a pleasure working with him.

"Credit to Sergio [Perez], as well, who becomes the first Force India driver to cross the 100 points in a season milestone. He’s been exceptional this year and fully deserves to finish seventh in the drivers’ championship."

Hulkenberg finished seventh in his final race for the team before embarking on a new journey with Renault, and thanked the team for what they have done for him.

"I leave this team with lots of happy memories and Force India will always be a part of my life. I’ve learned a huge amount here and they have made me a better racing driver.

We’ve grown up together and I’m proud of what we have achieved."

Ricciardo disappointed with race but happy with season

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Daniel_Ricciardo_helmet

Daniel Ricciardo leaves Abu Dhabi disappointed after Red Bull failed to pip Ferrari and Mercedes to podium spots at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Starting the final race on supersoft tyres, Ricciardo was hoping to use the different strategy to make up the lack of pace they had compared to their rivals.

The strategy proved fruitless as both he and his team-mate Max Verstappen finished outside the top three.

"We lost out a little bit at the start but we could hold our ground in the beginning on the SuperSoft," said the Aussie.

"In hindsight we should have gone longer on it, and one-stopped the race. Obviously it worked a lot better for Max.

"If we were in front of the Ferrari it made sense to try and hold position in front of them, but in the end we were close to getting an overcut on them but it didn't work out and we just struggled a lot behind them, killing the tyres a bit. I tried to pass a few times but couldn't make it work."

However, Ricciardo reflected on a great season as he claimed third on the Drivers’ Championship.

"Looking at the season overall, I'm super happy and very pleased with the year. It's definitely been more highs and lows this year, a lot of podiums, good chunk of points," he concluded.

"Not as many wins as in 2014 but definitely as many satisfying races. I got amongst it when I could, but I thought it was a good 2016, I'm very very happy."

Verstappen not blaming Hulkenberg for spin

Verstappen not blaming Hulkenberg for spin

Max Verstappen exonerated Nico Hulkenberg from blame following their incident at the start of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver made contact with the Force India after Turn 1, the Dutchman hitting his rival's sidepod on corner exit.

As a result of the contact, Verstappen spun and dropped down to the bottom of the field as a result.

"He couldn't really see me. I tried everything to avoid him, but it didn't work. I don't blame him," said Verstappen after the race.

"Definitely Nico [Hulkenberg] had a very good start, I don't think he expected me to be still half [along] side. He just made the corner, for me there was nowhere to go. I think it was a racing incident.

"From then on I fought my way back and I actually enjoyed it very much. It was a great race. The pace was very good."

Verstappen recovered to finish in fourth position thanks to using a one-stop strategy, unlike all of his rivals, who stopped twice.

The Dutch driver said the strategy had not been planned, and admitted he was unsure about it even before pitting.

"I was not convinced but if you feel the tyres are just holding on pretty well, so I said to the team 'guys, don't box me, I want to go as long as I can', and that means you are trying to do one stop," he said.

NICO ROSBERG 2016 F1 WORLD CHAMPION: A WORD WITH KEKE

Image result for NICO ROSBERG 2016 F1 WORLD CHAMPION: A WORD WITH KEKE

Keke Rosberg has the unique accolade of being the only F1 world champion to witness his son winning a World Championship. He watched the race at a friend’s house in Dubai, an hour down the road from Yas Marina circuit and arrived in the circuit soon after Nico clinched the title by finishing second.

He has deliberately stayed out of the limelight since Nico moved to Mercedes in 2010 and hasn’t given any interviews since then. But standing outside the Mercedes team area in the Abu Dhabi paddock two hours after the race, he decided to speak to a group of us.

Describing his son’s success as “the hardest fought championship ever” he pointed to the dedication that had brought him to the world title at the age of 31,
“Lewis is in LA, he’s here, there and everywhere. One guy is concentrating on only one thing,” he said.

“It’s the nutrition, the time difference, training, emptying the brain at the right time. And it seems to have worked.”

“I thought this day would come. I had a rule that there are three things you have to achieve; win your first race, win Monaco Grand Prix and win the championship. Now he can put a cross against that and say ‘been there done that’.

“I admire him for his mental strength and commitment. It’s 100% and it’s got nothing to do with how we went about being an F1 driver. Absolutely nothing.

“The last three years he has been under tremendous pressure because you are fighting for the win every weekend and for the championship every year and retirements hurt you every time. But that’s the nature of this sport.

“If you want to win a championship, you can’t have a lot of bad luck,” he added.

Rosberg Sr won the world championship in 1982 with Williams, 34 years before Nico. By co-incidence the only other father and son champions, Graham and Damon Hill’s championships were also 34 years apart.

Asked how he felt when Nico had to take a big risk and overtake Max Verstappen, Keke said, “I took a deep sip from my beer and thought, ‘This is going to get hot,'”
As for whether the championship success will raise his son’e game next season, Keke felt that this is likely,

“A happy man performs better than an unhappy man, so yes I think he’ll raise his game a but next year like everybody does. It probably will happen, it goes with the game.”
Nico revealed that Keke sends text messages on the Saturday of every Grand Prix weekend such as “Pedal to the metal”.

Asked about this he said, “It’s difficult. You have to say something, so what do you say? Don’t spin in the first corner. You can’t do that! You are trying to keep spirits up and enjoy. This is a sport, so you must enjoy it. The pressure must always be less than the enjoyment.”

Great end to the season and glad to see Nico win. Already looking forward to next year; hope Ferrari can get back into the mix.

Thanks Mika, always a great job assembling all the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WILL MERCEDES FIRE HAMILTON AFTER ‘ANARCHY’ IN ABU DHABI?

lewis hamilton

British media are in a frenzy in the aftermath of the Formula 1 season final Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where Lewis Hamilton was dethroned as Formula 1 World Champion and the crown taken from him by his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, in a race which saw the Briton back-up his teammate into the pursuing pack and with it being accused of anarchy by team boss Toto Wolff.

In the end Rosberg did well to stick to Hamilton’s rear wing and finish the race in second, enough for him to claim his first Formula 1 World Championship and become the sport’s 33rd driver to do so.

The Mercedes team chief told reporters after the race at Yas Marina Circuit, “Undermining a structure in public means you are putting yourself before the team. It is very simple. Anarchy does not work in any team and in any company.”

This has prompted a wave of speculation from British media, predicting that Hamilton could face everything from suspension to being fired.

The Mirror ran with the headline: “Lewis Hamilton facing Mercedes sack after twice ignoring orders in Abu Dhabi decider.”

And added in the report: “Lewis Hamilton is facing the SACK by Mercedes after being accused of causing anarchy in Abu Dhabi. The British ace TWICE ignored an order to speed up in his duel in the desert with Nico Rosberg in a bid to snatch a fourth drivers’ crown. Hamilton slowed the pace to back up his team-mate into the clutches of rivals but Rosberg held onto the second place he needed to win the F1 crown.”

The Daily Mail declared ominously: “Lewis Hamilton risks losing £30m deal as Mercedes driver defies team orders at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.”

And wrote: Hamilton ignored the instructions of his team to pick up the pace as the race reached its climax. The Brit attempted to back up the pack in order to put more drivers between himself and rival Nico Rosberg. Team principal Toto Wolff accused Hamilton of causing anarchy.”

The Guardian’s headline was: “Mercedes may suspend Lewis Hamilton for flouting team instructions.”

And reported: “Mercedes are considering disciplinary action – which could mean a fine or even suspension – against Lewis Hamilton after the three‑times world champion twice flouted instructions as his team-mate, Nico Rosberg, won his maiden Formula One world championship on Sunday.”

The Telegraph echoed The Guardian with their headline: “Lewis Hamilton could be suspended by Mercedes for defying team orders during dramatic Abu Dhabi finale.”

Reporting: “Lewis Hamilton could be suspended by Mercedes after brazenly and repeatedly defying team orders in a futile attempt to deny Nico Rosberg a first world title. In an astonishing climax to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the three-time champion set out to back his team-mate into the path of nearest pursuers Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen, hoping that they could leapfrog the German and gift him the glory. Not only did the ruse backfire, it cast him into potentially serious difficulties with his employers, who suggested he had created a situation of anarchy.”

The Times reported in a similar vein: “Hamilton faces team ban.”

Hamilton was unrepentant, “I don’t think I did anything dangerous, I don’t think I did anything unfair. We were fighting for the championship, I was in the lead so I control the pace…. 

Newly crowned champion Rosberg agreed and did not see Hamilton’s tactics as a big , in fact praised his teammate’s  after the race.

“Lewis was using all his skill to do it perfectly,” said Rosberg. “There was absolutely no way for me to manage to get by, so of course I thought about it but it was just pointless so there was no way. He did it in a very good way, in a perfect way.”

ROSBERG PARTIES WITH FAMILY, FRIENDS AND DRIVERS BUT NO LEWIS

3AD19DD400000578-3977874-Rosberg_who_is_now_31_years_old_looked_ecstatic_after_being_lift-a-4_1480330275156.jpg

After a tense and enthralling season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Nico Rosberg celebrated his first Formula 1 world title at the Amber Lounge club in the capital of the United Arab Emirates.

The newly-crowned F1 champion was carried onto the stage by team members, friends and family, while the likes of Jenson Button, Daniel Ricciardo, Felipe Massa and Max Verstappen were among the 14 F1 drivers that joined him, and his wife Vivian, in celebrating the occasion.

3AD19E1000000578-3977874-Nico_Rosberg_right_celebrates_his_first_Formula_One_world_title_-a-2_1480330275140.jpg

Lewis Hamilton, who lost the title by five points, was absent opting to attend an F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix event at the VIP Room nightclub.

Massa and newly-retired Button also celebrated by getting behind the decks to get the crowd going with their DJ-ing.

Rosberg won the title by finishing second to Hamilton in the world championship finale at Yas Marina Circuit, making him the 33rd driver to be crowned Formula 1 World Champion since the series began in 1950.

At times teary eyed, Rosberg savoured the emotion packed evening and during the post race press conference he predcited, “I’m sure it’s going to be pretty crazy now for the next few days but I look forward to all that, it’s going to be special.”

“Tonight [Sunday] is going to go absolutely nuts, I mean tonight is going to be insane. I think I’m going to be not available for a few days after that…” he said before hitting the Amber Lounge.

3AD19E4F00000578-3977874-Rosberg_top_right_was_joined_by_team_members_friends_and_family_-a-1_1480330275139.jpg

3AD19B2700000578-3977874-The_newly_crowned_world_champion_was_carried_onto_the_stage_by_t-a-3_1480330275150.jpg

3AD19E9C00000578-3977874-The_German_star_was_photographed_with_wife_Viviane_Sibold_at_the-a-5_1480330275247.jpg

GERMANY HAS A NEW F1 CHAMPION BUT GRAND PRIX IN DOUBT

Nico Vivian Rosberg

Germany has a new Formula 1 world champion in Nico Rosberg, after Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel, but fans may not see him race on home soil next season.

The German Grand Prix, absent in 2015, is set to be struck off again in 2017 for financial reasons and Rosberg’s dominant Mercedes team say there is little they can do about it.

“We are hearing various rumours,” motorsport head Toto Wolff said at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where Rosberg clinched the title.

“Having a German Grand Prix is part of the history, and especially for us as Mercedes with our factories nearby and many fans in Germany. It is important to race in Germany.”

Wolff said Mercedes had offered financial and marketing support in the past but it was not taken up. There had been no such talks this time.

Hockenheim boss Georg Seiler told German media last week that the economic risks of his circuit hosting the event in successive years were too great. Only 57,000 fans attended on race Sunday this year.

Next July would have been the Nuerburgring’s turn under an alternation agreement that collapsed when that circuit changed owners.

Germany was listed on a provisional 21-race 2017 schedule with an asterisk but Formula One’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has indicated it will be dropped.

Asked why Germany had seemingly fallen out of love with the sport, despite Mercedes winning both drivers’ and constructors’ championships for three years running, Wolff — an Austrian — suggested various reasons.

“I have the theory, and its a personal view, that there is a bit of a hangover after all those years of dominance of Sebastian and Michael,” he told Reuters. “The Germans have won it all.”

“You can see that it’s coming in cycles, how there are other sports like the football team (reigning world champions) that is of great interest and it might change with different drivers, maybe with Nico winning a championship,” he added.

“It would be really great if we could re-ignite the passion of the German fans in the same way Michael was able to achieve it 20 years ago.”

The difference was that Schumacher, who won seven titles, was the first German champion and came from the same humble but hard-working background as many of the fans camping in the forests with their beer and barbecues.

Rosberg, son of a Finnish champion and brought up in Monaco where he became fluent in five languages, lacks that common touch while Ferrari’s Vettel lives an intensely private life in Switzerland.

McLaren has 'shown big progress' compared to 2015 - Fernando Alonso

XYeZVlmRe92QQoCjhRR8o-Nt-pHhA5iw__R3I2838.jpg

Fernando Alonso says McLaren has “shown big progress” in the 2016 season compared to last year, after finishing the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in 10th place.

The Spaniard qualified in ninth place for the 2016 Formula 1 finale at the Yas Marina Circuit, enjoying some close battles during the race.

He ended up falling behind the Williams of Felipe Massa, but crossed the line in 10th place to pick up a point in the last race of the year.

Alonso said McLaren had made strong progress in 2016 but admitted there’s still a long way to go before the team returned to the front of the field.

“The race was good; fun, but difficult as well,” he explained.

“There wasn’t really much I could do against the Force Indias and the Williams, but I fought until the last lap and got quite close, so I’m happy with the point we scored, and pleased that we secured our positions in the constructors’ and drivers’ championships.

“Overall, this season has been positive: we’ve shown big progress compared to 2015, but we want to win the world championship – and there’s still a long way to go before we can achieve that.

“Still, we have a long winter ahead of us, and we’ll make a huge effort in order to arrive in Australia with a more competitive package.

“It’s a shame that Jenson’s [Button] final race came to an early end, but he’ll still be around next year, and he’ll be a huge asset for us in his new role.

“Finally, I’m very happy for Nico [Rosberg]. He’s had a fantastic season and he deserved to be champion.

“He always believed in his possibilities and he managed his advantage perfectly. Both he and Lewis did a great job but it was time for Nico to win this year, as Lewis has three titles already.”

Kimi Raikkonen puts Abu Dhabi race struggles down to tyres

160058-abu.png

Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen has put his struggles during the F1 2016 season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix down to the tyres.

The Finnish racer got off to a good start when he jumped Daniel Ricciardo on the opening lap, but he dropped behind the Red Bull at the second round of stops.

From there, he lost out to Max Verstappen and team-mate Sebastian Vettel, who eventually went on to finish third on an alternative strategy.

Raikkonen finished in sixth place, three places down on where he was after the opening lap, following more tyre struggles.

“It was not an easy race for me, the car was pretty OK, but I suffered with the tyres, to make them last,” he explained.

“I was constantly trying to keep the fronts alive. After the start I was in a good position, but I struggled with the first set of softs: at the end of the stint they kind of came back and improved, but we kept losing places.

“When Seb [Vettel] came close to me, I knew that he was on a different strategy and I let him go.

“Obviously it has been quite a tricky year, far from what we want as a team, but lately we have been working well, doing the right things.

“Now we need to keep working this way and hopefully next year, with the new car, we’ll be where we want to be.”

Haas has more scope to improve in 2017 than rivals - Grosjean

Haas has more scope to improve in 2017 than rivals - Grosjean

Romain Grosjean says that despite finishing the final race of the season just outside the points, the Haas F1 team has the potential to move up the constructors’ championship table in 2017.

The Haas driver scored three points finishes for the rookie team within the first four grands prix of the season, but thereafter was able to add only two more top 10s.

Nonethless, Grosjean scored 29 points for the team, yielding eighth in the constructors’ championship for Haas, ahead of Renault, Sauber and Manor.

After the race he said: “I think we’ve had a wonderful season, surprised everyone, ourselves included. We’ve had some highs, some lows.

"[In Abu Dhabi] we don’t score points with 11th, but if you remove the six top cars, we’re only the third team behind, so that’s not that bad.”

Grosjean said key to the Haas-Ferrari team improving its form next year was having a car that was gentler on tyres over the course of a whole stint, an issue highlighted again in the final race.

He remarked: “There’s a lot of things we can improve through winter. It’s all about tyres and clearly there were some laps where the pace was amazing and the car felt really good when the tyres were working.

“Then a few laps later, things are going out of sync and it’s just much harder. So that’s clearly where we can work.

“I think all the other teams are massively at their limit but we have so much we can improve and make America proud.”

Asked about how a new team will cope with the change in regulations next year to heavily revised front and rear wings and wider tyres, Grosjean said: “It’s a big challenge – a big challenge for everyone.

"But again, we started this year with no knowledge, and we’ve now got 21 races of experience and clearly that’s going to help next year. So I’m confident we can do better than this year." 

Ocon and Wehrlein at odds over Abu Dhabi clash

Ocon and Wehrlein at odds over Abu Dhabi clash

Manor drivers Esteban Ocon and Pascal Wehrlein gave different accounts of their collision in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, their final race as teammates.

The pair came to blows in the closing stages of the race, Wehrlein on softs defending P13 from his teammate, who was running on fresher supersofts.

The duo were side by side in the braking zone at Turn 11 when they made contact, both missing the corner as a result.

Ocon, who would go on to finish six seconds clear of Wehrlein, said: "I was on a different strategy, had more pace at the end. Went to the outside but he didn't leave any space, so we collided, I had to go off track.

"This race, all the overtakes I did, someone crashed into me. [Kevin] Magnussen crashed into me at the start, [Felipe Nasr - I was on the outside of him, he turned into me... and Pascal is the same, he didn't leave me space, he locked up.

"There was a lot of damage everywhere on the car, but I didn't lose so much downforce, so it was alright."

Responding to the suggestion that he hadn't left enough room for Ocon, Wehrlein said: "I think I was on the inside, it's difficult to leave someone enough room on the outside, I don't really know what he means with that.

"I think there was more than 100 metres room for him left on the outside, but if it's not enough... okay."

Esteban Ocon, Manor Racing   Pascal Wehrlein, Manor Racing   Esteban Ocon, Manor Racing MRT05

No drama

The clash between the two teammates came against the backdrop of Ocon, who had replaced Rio Haryanto at Manor midway through the campaign, being picked for a Force India seat for 2017 over Wehrlein.

However, both played down the significance of their clash in Abu Dhabi.

Wehrlein assured "there was nothing to discuss" between him, Ocon and the team regarding the incident, while Ocon himself said: "It happens. We fight together. We touched a little bit, there's not a drama about it. Probably didn't break much, the car felt okay in the end."

Williams thinks bump caused Bottas' suspension problem

Williams thinks bump caused Bottas' suspension problem

Williams suspects that a bump on the Yas Marina circuit was to blame for the suspension problem that put Valtteri Bottas out of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Bottas had gone in to the F1 finale hoping to help his team wrest fourth place in the constructors' championship from rivals Force India.

Although teammate Felipe Massa was able to score two points in his final F1 race, Bottas was forced out early on with a rear suspension problem.

Technical chief Pat Symonds said that initial data analysis had suggested the problem was the result of the track surface rather than any contact with another car or a kerb.

"We saw a big bump," explained Symonds. "We think it's probably similar to what happened in America in 2015. We won't know until we strip everything, because there was a lot of containment in place after that incident to try and stop that sort of thing from happening again. It does look quite similar."

Symonds said that conversations with Bottas suggested he had not run off the track at all – but it still remained strange that a circuit like Yas Marina should cause problems.

"Yeah it was a particular bump which looks like it triggered it," he said. "Abu Dhabi is quite bumpy but it should be able to handle it quite easily."

With Massa rounding off his Williams career with two points for ninth place, Symonds said the team could not be too disheartened with the form it showed.

"I thought we did reasonably well this weekend relative to Force India," he said. "We still lack a little bit of raw pace, but we were much better on our tyres than they were, which is why we were able to catch up.

"We were never going to get excited about racing the bottom end of the top 10, but the way the last part of the season's gone, it's been one of the better races."

Red Bull thought one stop was not possible for Ricciardo

Red Bull thought one stop was not possible for Ricciardo

Red Bull says that it did not believe a one-stop strategy was going to be possible when it pitted Daniel Ricciardo early in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Australian's early race advantage over teammate Max Verstappen was wiped away when he was pulled in from his opening stint on supersoft tyres.

That dropped him back into the battle with Ferrari, while Verstappen – who had spun at the first corner – was then left free to continue at the front and eventually switch to a one-stop.

Explaining the circumstances behind the decision that effectively helped Verstappen finish in front of Ricciardo, team boss Christian Horner said a combination of circumstances forced the move.

"We weren't convinced that the supersoft at that stage were going to have the longevity that they had," he said. "He'd picked up a bit of a flat spot on the first lap into Turn 1 and we were also looking at the pace that Sebastian had on the out lap.

"What we didn't want to do was concede a place to Sebastian [Vettel] so it wasn't totally clear that Daniel would be able to pull away and clear that group. Doing a one-stop wasn't even in our thinking at that point.

"So that's why we pitted Daniel. It was a combination of the flat spot, Vettel going very quick on his out lap and wanting to make sure that we didn't lose a position."

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB12   Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB12   Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB12

Horner added that the decision to switch Verstappen to a one-stop was prompted by the fact that the pace of the Mercedes duo – as Lewis Hamilton tried to back Nico Rosberg up – meant his Dutch driver was not losing ground.

"It looked like Rosberg was being instructed not to go anywhere near Max and, whilst he was doing that, obviously that was making the one stop become more and more available," he said.

"Lewis looked like he was hanging back, waiting for him, so the fact that Max was able to get to lap 21 on the supersoft tyre was fantastic - and from that point onwards it looked like a one stop was absolutely the plan.

"So we stopped Ricciardo pretty shortly afterwards as well, to get the undercut on Kimi. But [in doing that] I think we demonstrated to Ferrari how good the super soft tyre was and they had one set left available going into the race, which was why they used it with Sebastian at the end there."

When asked why Red Bull had not mirrored Ferrari's tactics and run a short final stint on supersofts to charge through, Horner said: "Because we didn't have any super-soft tyres left. What we felt was that he [Hamilton] would back it up, that there would be some racing going on in the last few laps there.

"You could see how Max on a pretty used tyre, a tyre that was close to 10 laps older was catching catching catching over those last few laps."

41 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

WILL MERCEDES FIRE HAMILTON AFTER ‘ANARCHY’ IN ABU DHABI?

Newly crowned champion Rosberg agreed and did not see Hamilton’s tactics as a big , in fact praised his teammate’s  after the race.

“Lewis was using all his skill to do it perfectly,” said Rosberg. “There was absolutely no way for me to manage to get by, so of course I thought about it but it was just pointless so there was no way. He did it in a very good way, in a perfect way.”

Don't know why lots of people see what Hamilton did as dirty or unethical.  There's nothing in the long and convoluted rule book that says you can't do this.  It's not dangerous.  Mercedes was in complete control of the race.  And it was his ONLY option to win the championship.  How can you expect a competitive type A personality not to do this?  Every driver on the grid would do the same thing or worse such as Shummy vs Villenueve.  It's not Hamilton's responsibility to hand the championship over to Rosberg.  Rosberg could have pass Hamilton or did what he did.  Hamilton did not really really slow down until after all the pitstops have been completed so there's no chance of an undercut.  Again both Mercedes was in complete control.  A Sunday processional drive. 

Rosberg was real classy in losing 2 years ago.  For that reason alone I'm glad Rosberg gets to experience the thrill of winning.  He saved the championship last week by preventing his car from hitting the wall at the Brazilian GP and also by that brilliant pass on Max when such a move was required.

• Like 1

INSIGHT: AN IRONY OF HISTORY AS SEBASTIAN VETTEL AVOIDS GETTING INVOLVED IN F1 TITLE MASH UP IN ABU DHABI

Image result for INSIGHT: AN IRONY OF HISTORY AS SEBASTIAN VETTEL AVOIDS GETTING INVOLVED IN F1 TITLE MASH UP IN ABU DHABI

One of the intriguing cameos in Sunday’s title deciding Abu Dhabi GP was Sebastian Vettel’s attack in the closing stages which fell short of passing Nico Rosberg on track.

There is a strong irony in this situation with historic overtones and after the race I reminded Vettel of the final laps of the 2008 season in Interlagos, Brazil.

There Vettel was driving for Toro Rosso and he came up behind Lewis Hamilton, who needed to finish 5th in order to win his first world championship. Vettel didn’t think twice and passed him.

Image result for final lap 2008 Interlagos hamilton and vettel

When Felipe Massa crossed the line soon after to win the race and claim maximum points, Hamilton was all set to lose the title.

Then the rain fell harder and Timo Glock, who had gambled on staying out on slick tyres, lost temperature and grip as conditions worsened in the final lap and Vettel and Hamilton both passed him, taking Hamilton back into that fifth place he needed to be champion.

On Sunday, Vettel found himself being presented with a gift-wrapped opportunity again to pass a driver who was seeking his first world title. As Hamilton dropped his pace at the front, backing Rosberg into the pack behind, Vettel was coming through quickly on new supersoft tyres.

He was on Rosberg’s tail from Lap 51 onwards, with Max Verstappen behind him. He had four laps to make a move. Had Vettel made his move, Rosberg would have needed to hold Verstappen behind him to remain on course for the title, but then Hamilton would have backed the pack up even more to give Verstappen the temptation to try it.

It would have been difficult, as Verstappen’s tyres were eight laps older than Rosberg’s, but as Hamilton had dropped the pace to 1m 47s, when a normal pace at that stage would have been a 1m 44s to 1m 45s, the tyre age would have been somewhat academic.

Image result for sebastian vettel ABU DHABI podium 2016

Vettel could see all of this, knew Hamilton’s tactics and the likely consequences of making a move on Rosberg. He had a couple of looks, but Rosberg defended well and it resolved itself that Vettel’s supersofts had ‘perhaps lost their edge’ by the last lap or two. Who knows?

Vettel argued that once he came up behind two cars together the wash from them both made his car slide more. Hamilton’s problem was that as Rosberg was so close behind him, that gave him DRS on the two straights. So he had to go quickly there, to avoid Rosberg trying a move on him. A collision in that situation would have favoured Rosberg and would have been a hideous way to end the championship battle anyway.

“My interest as soon as I passed Max was to win the race – but bearing in mind obviously that they are fighting for the Championship and… I mean we could all feel and see what was going on. Lewis was trying to back Nico up into the rest of the pack…” said Vettel.

“I was behind Nico and I was faster, but I think also due to the fact that Lewis was slowing down,” he added. “At that point, you follow two cars, you slide, the tyres start to go too hot. I was struggling with my fronts at that point so it was difficult to stay close.

“I tried everything but they were very, very quick down the straights. Nico had DRS. The second straight was the spot I was having a look, but Nico defended well and closed the inside so I couldn’t really go anywhere. I couldn’t try something really stupid because Lewis was just ahead, so if I really dived down the inside or down the outside then I have a risk of hitting Lewis at that point.”

Vettel’s true feelings were perhaps then shown by the heartfelt tribute he made to his fellow German, the third to win the world title for his country,
“You don’t win the Championship by luck. Nico won the Championship today. He’s a deserved champion. You collect a lot of points throughout the season, sometimes you might have, yeah, fortunate situations, unfortunate situations with your car but I think there’s been other situations in the past with other drivers, that’s the way it goes.

“Sometimes you have better years in this regard, sometimes worse years but I think today is Nico’s day and it’s a sign of respect and greatness to give him that. I think we owe it to him, he’s a deserved champion.”

So there it is. You read between the lines with Vettel.

Did Vettel think through the consequences of a move on his fellow countryman in the final stages, a move which would have moved him one place further up the podium, but exposed Rosberg to an assault from Verstappen and who knows what end to the championship?

He’s a racing driver, who always wants to do as well as possible. But in making that move he would have been doing Hamilton a big favour. And it would have made Hamilton his equal as a four-time world champion in the field.

The 19 year old Vettel, so very hungry in his early Toro Rosso years, didn’t think twice about passing Hamilton in the Interlagos rain.

But the four time world champion took a more measured view and didn’t risk it on Sunday.

I mentioned this irony of history to Sebastian after the race, and he contemplated it quietly.

Discussing it with various racing luminaries after the race in the paddock, a couple of ex-drivers observed simply that you build your relationships over the years for days like this and people will either want to help you out – or not help you out – depending on that.

And that is motor racing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Don't know why lots of people see what Hamilton did as dirty or unethical.  There's nothing in the long and convoluted rule book that says you can't do this.  It's not dangerous.  Mercedes was in complete control of the race.  And it was his ONLY option to win the championship.  How can you expect a competitive type A personality not to do this?  Every driver on the grid would do the same thing or worse as such as Shummy vs Villenueve.  It's not Hamilton's responsibility to hand the championship over to Rosberg.  Rosberg could have pass Hamilton or did what he did.  Hamilton did not really really slow down until after all the pitstops have been completed so there's no chance of an undercut.  Again both Mercedes was in complete control.  A Sunday processional drive. 

Rosberg was real classy in losing 2 years ago.  For that reason alone I'm glad Rosberg gets to experience the thrill of winning.  He saved the championship last week by preventing his car from hitting the wall at the Brazilian GP and also by that brilliant pass on Max when such a move was required.

I agree with what you say about nothing written in the rule book but I think Mercedes team heads Paddy Lowe and Toto Wolf issuing an order to "Speed up" is also within the rules from a management perspective.

Mercedes could have asked Hamilton to allow Rosberg to pass and that in my opinion would have been fair of Hamilton to disagree with and ignore but no one was asking Hamilton to yield the win. I think Rosberg being slowed down and unable to pass due to turbulent air was an issue and a danger for a DNF should the drivers behind clashed with Nico and even potentially Hamilton. If Hamilton and Nico both crashed out, Nico would have won anyway but it wouldn't have been as sweeter the result IMO to win in that fashion.

I guess we'll agree to disagree @MIKA27.  Lots of speculation of what could happen but the result was what happened.  There's no doubt Vettel wanted nothing to do with this and was happy to see a fellow German take the championship.  Nothing wrong with that.  In sports as it is in life there are certain times when having friends helps.  There's no doubt Rosberg is well liked.  Mercedes too got their German champion and good for them.  The sweetest victory for Nico was to take pole and win the race from pole.  That way there would be no doubt, no drama, only dominance. 

• Like 1

I've had a day to digest the race and I'm changing my opinion slightly.  Lewis ran a technically perfect race and was a cunning bastard toward the end of the race.  I still think he was riding in the wambulance though.

Where I think he crossed the line wasn't the slowing the pace down to induce something behind him was when he ignored team orders.  He definitely slowed down hoping that Vettel and Max would pass him.  Given how long Max was out on those softs I think Nico would've only been passed by one car at most had the race gone on another lap or two.  But the disobeying team orders is where the red line in the sand is drawn.  If they tell you to speed up, you do it.

He obviously had the ability to be faster, he just chose to be selfish and ignored the order.

In the end it didn't hurt anything so my hunch is Merc isn't going to do much except some maybe a slap on the wrist and a very stern warning for next year about following orders.  A conversation that they would have with Nico as well to ensure everyone was on the same page.  I don't think either of them will have much of a leash when it comes to racing next year though, I don't think Paddy or Toto will put up with any bullshit.

Merc also holds the cards because they could put just about anyone in the feel and they'd consistently be in the top 5 every single race no problem.

• Like 2