FORMULA 1 - 2016

Force India F1 boss Mallya deserves more credit, Fernley believes

97d2c5e5671248f2d4707085bd99702d.jpg

Force India Formula 1 team owner Vijay Mallya deserves more credit for the team's rise to fourth in the constructors' championship in 2016, according to deputy team principal Bob Fernley.

Fernley first met the Indian businessman in 1982, when he assisted in the purchase and then the running of an Ensign F1 car that Mallya drove to victory in that year's Madras Grand Prix.

Since Mallya bought the ex-Jordan team, then competing as Spyker, in September 2007 and rebranded it Force India in 2008, the squad has risen from 10th in the world championship to its current fourth.

While Mallya has been criticised in some quarters for his business dealings and rumours have often circulated about the possibility of pulling support from Force India, Fernley underlined how important his involvement has been.

"Yes, he deserves a lot of credit," Fernley told Autosport when asked if Mallya didn't get the credit he deserves for the success.

"Vijay celebrates 10 years in Formula 1 next year. There are not many individual team owners that have been around for 10 years and he continues to support it.

"That's fundamentally where it [the reason for the team's rise] is.

"I don't think it's any magic, it's just about consistency, attention to detail and good people."

a3836342eed908612e4e5325c5ea11aa.jpg

While beating Williams to fourth in the constructors' championship gives the team a financial boost, with the difference between the 'column 2' prize money paid based on the 2015 season for fourth and fifth being $3million, Fernley stressed the key is the boost to the team's enthusiasm.

"It's really the moral boost," said Fernley.

"What it does is endorses what the team has been doing for the last three or four years.

"You can never underestimate the enthusiasm this will drive through the team and [help] bring it to the next stage.

"While it's nice to have the extra funding coming in, that is incidental to the enthusiasm it will put in and the commitment it will deliver for 2017."

Fernley also paid tribute to the calibre of the staff at Force India, describing working for the Silverstone-based team as a difficult option because of the responsibility each person must carry.

"Working for Force India is not an easy option and it's not for everybody," said Fernley.

"You often get people coming to you and saying, 'I want this responsibility' and we love to give that because it's not about dictating, it's about doing it as a team.

"But with responsibility comes accountability and a lot of people don't necessarily want that bit and therefore you've got to be a strong character.

"It exposes your weaknesses, whereas in a bigger organisation you can cover it up.

"We have people that genuinely want to progress and are prepared to take the risks are responsibilities that go with it.

"That's part of the drive that has brought Force India to where it is today."

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

McLaren F1 director Boullier key to 2018 French Grand Prix return

a47792e9a303274f941b66740b0efd39.jpg

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier was part of the team that has brought the French Grand Prix back to the Formula 1 calendar in 2018.

On Monday, it was announced that Paul Ricard would host a race in summer of 2018 as part of a five-year deal.

France has been without a grand prix since 2008, after Magny-Cours dropped off the calendar owing to financial difficulties.

Several attempts to bring the race back at venues including at venues including at Sarcelles, Versailles and Disneyland have failed.

In January, head of Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur Christian Estrosi assembled a team with a view to getting the race back on the calendar, which ultimately led to receiving a letter of commitment from Formula One Management on November 30.

Boullier, who was present at the announcement, played a key role his homeland reclaiming the race, including utilising his relationship with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

"I'm delighted by the prospect of the reinstatement of the French Grand Prix," said Boullier.

"As a Frenchman, I've tried to make my own modest contribution in support of the project, which was proposed by the president of the Regional Council of Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur, Christian Estrosi, and I'll do whatever I can to help make it happen.

"Specifically, since although I'm French I live in England, working as the racing director of one of the leading British Formula 1 teams, I can gain access to Bernie Ecclestone more easily than can less well connected individuals based outside the UK.

"In that context, I was able to make sure a discussion occurred, a presentation was viewed and considered, and a series of the right messages conveyed and understood."

56e9486206c941ccea6fbb1b93c9f53a.jpg

Paul Ricard last hosted a grand prix in 1990.

Organisers say its return requires an annual budget of approximately €30million, with €16million of that forecast to come from ticket sales and €14million from public subsides.

The group believes that is feasible and it anticipates a total economic impact of around €65million per grand prix for the region, with 66,000 fans expected to attend.

Ferrari must speed up aero development to keep pace with rivals - Sergio Marchionne

daimler-mercedes-ferrari-ai0i1636(1).jpg

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne says Ferrari must improve its aerodynamic department, particularly the speed in which it brings developments to its car, after falling back during the latter stages of the season.

Ferrari began the year with a chance of victory in Australia, but a strategic error during a red flag put Sebastian Vettel out of contention. The team continued to show good form during the opening races, but quickly fell behind Red Bull and eventually finished 70 points adrift in third place.

Marchionne believes their rate of development is a key weakness that must be addressed over the winter if they're to challenge Mercedes and Red Bull in 2017.

"The most important recognition that the team has made during this season is a clear identification of the gaps we have in terms of two things: one is honestly performance on track, but, more importantly, I think about the rate of change of the other teams," he is quoted as saying by Motorsport.

"I think we have seen a Red Bull at the start of the 2016 season that did not have, at least on paper, the attributes to try to take on Ferrari. And by the end of the season, Red Bull did effectively become a viable competitor.

"It was not due to the power unit side, it was down to the work that was done on both aero and chassis. And it's pointed out probably one of the most significant holes in the strategic development of Ferrari in the last few years. We will try to remedy that problem."

Marchionne is also aware that the team must improve its engine, not just the chassis, if it's to mount a championship challenge, particuarly as the token system has now been scrapped, allowing Renault and Honda to catch up more quickly.

"That's not to say we don't consider the power unit to be crucial, work continues on both fronts," he added. "But I think the biggest issue is that we need to recognise from the 2016 findings is the gap that exists on aero development and I think we are trying to close it as quickly as we can."

Daniel Ricciardo expects drivers to physically struggle driving 2017 cars

red-bull-ricciardo-thumbs-up.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo says he expects drivers will pack on a little weight over the winter to cope with the increased forces produced by next year's cars, which are expected to be far quicker through the corners than the current generation and therefore hit much higher G-Forces.

With wider tyres, larger wings and a bigger diffuser, the 2017 cars are expected to break lap records with ease, but that will also present a major obstacle for the drivers – some of which won't have experienced the cornering speeds these cars will be capable of.

Ricciardo reckons some drivers will struggle physically to drive flat-out for an entire race, but that's something that excites him.

"If it’s similar to the speeds I was hitting while testing in 2009-2010 then it’s a significant step up," he said. "To cut a long story short, if we retain the leanness we have now with our body weight, we might struggle physically. I think everyone will be putting on a few kilos to cope with the forces.

"To put numbers on it. If next year is 100 per cent of our physical strength, then this year we’ve been at 75 per cent."

The Australian, who finished runner-up to the Mercedes duo this year, is confident the regulation changes will play to Red Bull's strengths.

"Excited! But at the same time I’m not going to get too excited. I believe we will have a good package. I believe the work the team is doing is the right work – but you never know what everyone else is doing. I’m looking forward to finding out. I’m looking forward to the physical challenge too," he added.

"I honestly think it’s [the change] a good thing for us. It seems to put more emphasis on aerodynamics and I have a lot of faith in our aerodynamics department. It’s out strong suit. From that point of view I don’t think it can hurt us.

"Also, I think the cars are going to look pretty bad-ass. Mean, wider tyres, more muscular. Grrrrrr…"

Vettel and Raikkonen demo 2009 F1 cars at Ferrari event

The Daytona International Speedway hosted Ferrari’s four-day Finali Mondiali event, which ended with Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen lapping the circuit and its famous banked oval in 2009 Ferrari F1 cars.

Berger won’t be surprised of a Rosberg comeback

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Gerhard_Berger

Former McLaren and Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger said he wouldn’t be surprised if Nico Rosberg returned to the sport after announcing his retirement, given that he departed at such a young age.

Rosberg and Berger have a seemingly close relationship, with the latter being in charge of contract negotiations between the World Champion and Mercedes.

Suggesting that he may not return straight away, Berger added that the 31-year-old still has plenty of his years left to return fit and healthy.

“It may be that in two or three years he could say to himself ‘I do not want to sit at home anymore’,” he told Austrian broadcaster Servus TV.

“I could imagine him getting bored.

“The chance is there, especially when he leaves so young and at his peak. No matter what business he gets into, nothing compares with the feeling of driving these cars and standing on the podium as a winner.

“Even if Nico says today that it does not matter to him, I can imagine him getting bored in a few years.

“It will be particularly difficult for Nico because of his age. If you’re at the age where you can no longer do what you used to do before, it’s different.”

ROSBERG: MY GOAL WAS TO WIN ONE F1 TITLE NOT FIVE

Nico+Rosberg+F1+Grand+Prix+Abu+Dhabi+dOrZRQthGw8x

Nico Rosberg gave further insight into his mindset which led him to quit Formula 1 only days after becoming World Champion, revealing that one title is enough for him as more than that was not on his list of ambitions.

Rosberg spoke when he received the ‘Caschi d’Oro’ award at the annual Autosprint gala earlier this week, “Now that I have achieved the highest goal it is time to end. My goal was to win one F1 world title, not five and now I have decided to stop.”

The 31 year old German added, “I’m satisfied with my career, I got everything I wanted since I was little. I won a lot of races. I feel good and now is the right time to depart. I came to conquer Mount Everest and I’m at the top right now.”

“What I ask is that you all look back and see that they have been very good years. I fought a lot and I have gained a lot. I thank everyone for the support I received over the years.”

“First I think of my family, because I did not see much of them this year. In a few weeks or a few months I will start on new projects and it will be fun to start new things away from Formula 1.”

Asked if there was any chance of a comeback at some point, he said with no hesitation, “No definitely not. End of story. Done.”

Rosberg’s last three years with Mercedes coincided with Lewis Hamilton joining the team. The pair were friends and rivals throughout their junior years in racing and also when they were in different teams in F1.

But paired in the same pit garage, over the past three years, they became bitter rivals, hardly speaking to one another as they battled each for the title. Hamilton won two drivers’ championships with Rosberg claiming one during their period as teammates.

In closing Rosberg said, “And now I’ll be able to be friends with Lewis again…”

MARCHIONNE: POWER UNIT IS FINE THE PROBLEM IS OUR AERO

Sergio+Marchionne+F1+Grand+Prix+China+3G3CigMOhhdx

Ferrari did not win a race this past season and the team’s big boss Sergio Marchionne is blaming a bad aero package for the team’s struggles in 2016.

Speaking to media during the Ferrari Finali Mondiali event in Daytona, Marchionne said, “The most important discovery the team has made during this season by clearly defining the gaps we have in terms of two things: one is honest performance on track, but i think more importantly, the rate of progress of the other teams.”

“I think we have seen Red Bull at the start of the 2016 season that did not have, at least on paper, the tools  to take on and beat Ferrari. But by the end of the season, Red Bull effectively became a formidable competitor.”

Indeed Red Bull finished the championship with two victories, and second in the constructors’ championship behind Mercedes, while Ferrari dropped down the pecking order in the second half of the season. However improvements in performance were evident at the final few races.

Marchionne explained, “This was not due to the power unit side, it was down to the work that was done on both aero and chassis. And this pointed to one of the most significant holes in the strategic development of Ferrari in the last few years in the aero elements of our package. We will try to rectify this problem.”

“That’s not to say we don’t consider the power unit elements to be crucial, work continues on both fronts. However I think the biggest issue is that we need to recognise that the gap that exists on aero development and I think we are trying to close it as quickly as we can,” added Marchionne.

PAT SYMONDS: STROLL IS THE REAL DEAL

Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Friday 25 November 2016. Lance Stroll, Test and Reserve Driver, Williams F1, on the pit wall. Photo: Glenn Dunbar/Williams ref: Digital Image _31I4561

Williams expect Formula One rookie Lance Stroll to make mistakes next season but believe the Canadian teenager is also the “real deal”.

“Of course he’ll make mistakes and we’ll be repairing cars. These things happen as part of the process,” the team’s technical head Pat Symonds told Reuters.

“If you look at his Formula Three career, in 2015 he was having quite a few accidents in that. The Monza one is just staggering.”

Stroll, who won the European Formula Three title this year, had a spectacular crash at the Italian circuit during the previous season when his car flew into the barriers after rolling at speed.

This season he won the championship with four races to spare and finished with 14 wins, 14 pole positions and a 185-point margin of victory.

“He hasn’t won that championship with anything other than a lot of skill and maturity,” said Symonds. “For a guy that young he’s driven really well in pretty well every condition. He’s raced well, he’s led at the front. He’s come through the field a bit, he’s driven well in the wet. He is the real deal.”

Symonds, who has worked with the late Ayrton Senna and seven-times champion Michael Schumacher in his long career, said Red Bull’s 19-year-old driver Max Verstappen, who won in Spain this year, had shown what youngsters could do.

“You don’t have to be well on your way to a pension before you get in these things (F1 cars),” he said.

Montreal-born Stroll, whose father Lawrence is worth $2.4 billion according to forbes.com, will be the first Canadian to race in Formula One since 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve retired in 2006.

He also follows in the footsteps of Finland’s Valtteri Bottas and 2009 world champion Jenson Button who both joined Williams as young rookies from GP3 and Formula Three respectively.

“We firmly believe in the talent that Lance has and I’m really looking forward to seeing how he’ll do,” deputy team principal Claire Williams told Reuters at last month’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“We believe in his talent and think he deserves his place. We had many options available to us but he was the one that we thought really for us was the whole package.”

Mercedes-powered Williams finished the season fifth overall.

ECCLESTONE: I AM SURPRISED WE GOT THE FRENCH GRAND PRIX BACK

Bernie+Ecclestone+F1+Grand+Prix+USA+70B1-MNBJi-x

Even though he is the owner of Paul Ricard, Bernie Ecclestone admits that he is surprised that the French Grand Prix is back on the Formula 1 calendar for the first time since 2008, with a five year deal signed and sealed.

Ecclestone told L’Equipe, “It’s taken a long time but eventually we got there. I am very, very happy — the French grand prix is back. I am surprised that we got a new chance to bring it back. The reason for the previous failures was mainly because they didn’t have a suitable circuit.”

“Everything with Paul Ricard is very good. We’ll just have to install more grandstands, but the circuit has been kept in excellent condition,” added the F1 supremo.

At one point Ecclestone was all for a grand prix through the streets of Paris but this did not transpire, instead Formula E have a round of their series in the historical city

“We talked and talked, but when you spend that amount of time talking, it goes on forever,” he revealed. “Formula E has a race in Paris but it’s not the same thing: it’s not a race. They don’t have the safety problems of a grand prix.”

Ecclestone acknowledged that McLaren’s Eric Boullier was involved in orchestrating the new deal with Paul Ricard, “Eric was not a messenger, he was someone we negotiated with.”

As for expected the date for the race in 2018, Ecclestone said, “In the middle of summer, in synergy with the other European grands prix at that time of year. We’ll settle that later. The most important thing is that the contract is signed.”

ALDO COSTA: I DO NOT SEE ALONSO AT MERCEDES\

Aldo-Costa

Mercedes technical guru Aldo Costa does not believe that Fernando Alonso will fit into the Mercedes team, instead the Italian suggests that the team looks at their junior drivers to promote to the most coveted cockpit in the sport.

Costa was shown the door after 16 years with Ferrari, many believe he was made a scapegoat in 2011 for the Italian team’s failings, but emerged shortly after as engineering director of the Silver Arrows.

Nevertheless, he spent his final two years at Ferrari with Fernando Alonso at Maranello and was asked by Speedweek for his thoughts about the Spaniard joining Mercedes in the wake of Nico Rosberg’s sudden decision to quit Formula 1.

Costa replied, “As a driver, Fernando is one of the greats. But outside of the car I never quite understood him. To me he was very hard to read, an enigmatic personality. I do not see him at Mercedes, I also see no reason why Hamilton should leave us.”

“We should focus on the young drivers that we have developed and promoted ourselves. I think we have two with a lot of potential. Pascal Wehrlein has a little more experience than Esteban Ocon, not least thanks to his test drives with Pirelli.”

“I think, Wehrlein would be one of the best options for the coming year. Many other candidates are compromised by existing contracts. We have to weigh it all against each other and then make a difficult decision,” explained Costa.

As for his position within the dominant Mercedes team, Costa was clear, “I feel very good at my present workplace with Mercedes-Benz. I’m at home here and have no intention of leaving. Since 2013, this team has grown steadily, thanks to an immeasurable amount of meticulous work.”

In 2014, 2015 and 2016, Costa was the design and engineering director of the all-conquering Mercedes W05, Mercedes W06 and Mercedes W07 which took Hamilton to two world titles and Rosberg to the big prize this year, while winning a hat-trick of constructors’ championships in the process.

Nico Rosberg's absence from the grid 'not good for F1' - Bernie Ecclestone

1659CB5D9086.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone believes Nico Rosberg's absence from the Formula 1 grid next season isn't good for the sport, as although he isn't the most popular figure, he has a strong fan base.

Rosberg shocked the F1 world by announcing his retirement from the sport just days after winning his first championship. He described the achievement as his goal realised and said it was time to move on to other things, including being a full-time father and husband.

Speaking to India's Hindustan Times, Ecclestone said the loss of Rosberg would be bad for the sport.

"Okay, not as popular as Lewis [Hamilton] but Nico was a very popular driver," said Ecclestone. "So his absence is certainly not good for Formula One."

Meanwhile the 86-year-old said the German would always be remembered for winning one title and wouldn't be regarded as a "great" of the sport.

"Well, let’s just say he is a world champion," he said. "The other names that you mentioned [Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso] have obviously won more than a few times and have achieved more.

"So I would just call Nico a world champion and nothing else."

Max Verstappen: Positive relationship with Daniel Ricciardo a major boost for the team

verstap-ricci-09876.jpg

Max Verstappen believes his positive relationship with team-mate Daniel Ricciardo is a major benefit for the team and is pushing them forward, and could be key to their championship goals next season.

Reviewing his season so far, which started at Toro Rosso and ended at Red Bull following a mid-season promotion, Verstappen highlighted a number races which will stick in his memory, including that first race win on his Red Bull debut.

"Very positive – some special moments, especially with the victory of course," said the Dutchman. "I still didn't expect to do such a good job. It was a very special weekend in general.

"Then some great team results – the first and second in Malaysia was very special – I've had a few good races that I really enjoyed and the wet race in Brazil obviously – so I can't complain about this season at all!"

Verstappen believes his working relationship with Ricciardo will help propel the team forward as they've yet to knock heads like many top pairings tend to do when they get in a position to win races.

"It's a great relationship. I'm very happy with Daniel as a team-mate. He's very fast but also a great character as well.," he added.

"I just think it pushes the whole team forward and that's the main thing. Team spirit is very important. It's a team sport and when you work together on the car instead of trying to fight each [other] it just benefits the team and it benefits you at the end of the day as well.

"You learn from each other and that's how you make the car better."

Force India expecting "phenomenal" F1 development rate in 2017

Force India expecting

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley expects to see a "phenomenal" rate of development as F1 teams get to grips with the new rules next season.

Fernley says his team is optimistic that it will have a good package at the start of the season, but concedes that it won't be easy to match the big teams.

"I'm very optimistic for next year," Fernley told Motorsport.com. "I think our technical team has proven to be very competent, and I see no reason why they can't do a very good job in 2017.

"Until we know what other people have got it's not possible to judge, but they are optimistic that they are producing a good design.

"The launch cars will obviously give us some idea of where everybody is. Where the bigger teams have the advantage over the independent teams is that they will be able to start flowing their upgrades through very quickly. We won't have the resource to do it quite as quickly.

"But hopefully the steps that we'll take will be measured and we'll be able to stay with it, more or less. We mustn't underestimate the speed of development of the '17 cars. It will be phenomenal, certainly in the first three or four months of the season.

"I think that it will be very tight next year. Probably people like Williams, McLaren, Force India, probably Toro Rosso, I think all of us will be looking at the fourth place fight.

"And depending how the three big ones go, if one of them has made an error somewhere, they'll be with us."

Fernley is adamant that the team didn't overcommit to the 2016 car in order to guarantee that it would be beat Williams to fourth place, and thus development for next year was not compromised.

"We didn't put anything into the 2016 car beyond what we'd already committed to. The '16 programme has not compromised the '17 programme. We were very clear about when we needed to switch over.

"We've been working on next year's car for some time. A lot of the performance that came out of the '16 car was latent, and we knew it was there. It was just a case of pulling it through.

"In some ways I'm quite excited about '17, because one of the good things that we did in terms of being able to get things on a level playing field is that we brought in the current wind tunnel and CFD limitations.

"While we still have a disadvantage because of the investment that the bigger teams have made in their wind tunnels, it's the closest it's ever been to more level playing field. So you only have a certain amount of time that you can operate with."

4x4 Thrill Ride with Nico Rosberg!

Last week competition winners joined 2016 Formula One World Champion Nico Rosberg for an awesome off-road experience at Mercedes-Benz World. Check out what happened when they met their hero!

Vettel: Ferrari should've beaten Red Bull to second in F1 2016

f769b949fe249509e0d639aa7c13ecd4.jpg

Sebastian Vettel believes Ferrari should have beaten Red Bull to second in the 2016 Formula 1 constructors' championship because it had the stronger package.

Red Bull leapt ahead of Ferrari just before the summer break and emerged as the closest challenger to Mercedes in the second half of the season.

In the last nine races, Red Bull scored eight podiums, including one win, compared to just two for Ferrari, which ended the year 70 points adrift in third.

Ferrari struggled with set-up, strategy and tyre temperatures over the course of the season and rarely managed to get the most out of its package - but Vettel is convinced it had the better car across the year.

"It has been up and down this year - not as good as expected and it could have been a lot better," said Vettel.

"Points-wise we didn't manage to score enough at the beginning of the year.

"Towards the end, we found ourselves in a very tight battle with Red Bull.

"But overall we had a stronger package and we should've finished second in the constructors'.

"The biggest disappointment was that we didn't fight Mercedes."

There was disruption midway through the season when technical director James Allison left Ferrari, with engine man Mattia Binotto taking charge.

4a1e4c7c0e714379376aff31d616fbbc.jpg

But Vettel remains confident about the future.

"A lot of things have happened in the background that should make the team and should make us stronger for next year," he said.

His team-mate Kimi Raikkonen believes Ferrari has understood many of its problems and that this bodes well for 2017.

"We need more grip, more power to go faster and it sounds very simple but it's not unfortunately," he said.

"We've understood quite a few things and we have great people to work with in the team so I trust that we will fix those issues for next year."

Now-retired Williams F1 driver Massa eyes full-time racing in 2017

a250ea3c7ee272d68119795f77d577b1.jpg

Felipe Massa wants to race full-time in 2017 after bringing an end to his Formula 1 career that spanned 14 seasons.

The Brazilian, who clocked up 250 grand prix starts, announced his retirement on the eve of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in September.

Having raced with Sauber and Ferrari since making his F1 debut in 2002, Massa finished 11th in the drivers' standings in his final campaign, 32 points adrift of Williams team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

While the 2008 world championship runner-up has yet to decide on the exact programme, he is certain he will continue to race next year.

"I'm working for a proper championship, a full season," Massa told Autosport. "I have not decided yet but I have some strong ideas.

"I am completely ready to keep racing in another category.

"I saw drivers like Michael [Schumacher] who were not accepting to race in another category, so then he was riding bikes and so many things.

"But I don't see the reason not to do something you like to do, which is driving, so I am fine to keep driving."

Massa said he would be "interested" in doing one-off events, such as the Le Mans 24 Hours, but ruled out the Indianapolis 500, saying "for sure I will not do that".

He also remains keen to be involved in F1, albeit it with his time in the paddock scaled back significantly.

"I will come to some F1 races - not all of the races but some, five or six races and maybe doing some jobs around my image, working with some companies as an ambassador," he said.

"First, I need to relax. I need to have a nice time at home and not going to simulator or meetings.

"After two or three months I need to do something and you cannot sit in your house watching the television - I cannot do that - I will find something to do."

a210ed91669e0c1bc4e8c54ad7d8842f.jpg

MASSA BUILT UP WILLIAMS - SYMONDS

Williams chief technical officer Pat Symonds praised Massa's efforts over the last three years since arriving from Ferrari, adding he was key in helping transform the team's fortunes after it finished ninth in the 2013 constructors' championship.

"In 2014 he brought some prestige to the team and that was part of the restructuring," said Symonds.

"We showed we could take a top driver, pay him well and get the job done.

"He's brought a great spirit to the team. He's really built up the team, the team's spirit and he's raced well and got some points.

"He's a good guy and I'm really, really sorry to see him go."

Outgoing Force India F1 driver Hulkenberg helped Perez thrive

07c41435aec99bc88c12b02a3177000b.jpg

Sergio Perez has thrived through having Nico Hulkenberg as a Formula 1 team-mate, according to Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley.

The duo completed their third F1 season as a pairing in 2016 with Hulkenberg departing for Renault next year, being replaced by Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon.

Hulkenberg beat the Mexican in the drivers' standings in 2014, but Perez edged his team-mate out by 20 points last year and 29 in 2016.

During that period, Perez scored four podiums, while Hulkenberg has failed to reach the rostrum in six full seasons in F1.

"It's just been a superb combination because we've been able to get the best out of Checo," Fernley told Autosport.

"He's driving today as a very mature, well-defined Formula 1 driver.

"Obviously it would have been much easier to go into '17 with Nico as a known quantity.

"If we can achieve that same level of competition - and that is what we're looking for - then I think Esteban can deliver that.

"But we're going to have to work hard with him in the winter so that he's up and running for the first race."

fc05fe2ee049bd36f8632a841f5c8d45.jpg

Fernley said he expects Force India to prepare Ocon - who has tested with the team before - quickly so that he is well-prepared comfortably ahead of the first pre-season test, which starts on February 27.

"It probably doesn't put any stress on us in some ways because we have got to bring Esteban into the team and obviously get him working with the team, with all the engineers and everything else," he said.

"We can start that process with him in the simulator and we have a superb simulator at Force India.

"So immediately we are ready with all the software processes into the 17 car, he'll be in there and he'll do all the work on that.

"By the time he gets to the first test session he should be ready to go forward in real time and then we'll be able to judge him from there.

"We should have him well prepared long before we get to [the first test in] Barcelona."

Formula 1 tyres will be different again in 2018, Pirelli says

967b1109f23dfb749b18a977f5737148.jpg

Formula 1's 2018 tyres will be different again from next year's rubber because Pirelli will have been able to use current cars in testing, says Mario Isola.

Pirelli was charged with dramatically changing the rubber for next season, including making front tyres 60mm wider and rears 80mm wider, as part of sweeping alterations to the technical regulations.

But because there were no 2017-spec cars to test with, Pirelli had to compromise with modified two-year-old cars provided by Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari.

The tyre supplier had been concerned the mule cars were falling short of the required amount of downforce by around 20%, which would in turn skew the results.

"I feel that the direction is good and we probably need to continue the development and to have a new product in 2018," said Pirelli racing manager Isola.

"But because next year we will have the real race cars testing, we have another step towards the right product."

1e5da7fd97b8389ba947ce5ce0184765.jpg

Pirelli tried approximately 100 different prototypes on the final day of its 2017 testing programme last month and was pleased with the results.

But next year it plans to involve more teams for its testing programme, which will be possible as 2017 cars will be available.

"If I have to look at the results with our mule cars, we are optimistic [for next season's tyres]," added Isola.

"We are happy with the development and then we need to see with the real new car and with the loads that are expected.

"We have some encouraging signs.

"We were obliged to change completely the product, the compounds, everything.

"It's not just the size that was bigger it was a complete redesign of all the tyre."

Pirelli is currently analysing the data from the 24 days of running, which amounted to 12,000km of testing, in order to define the tyres that will be used for racing next year.

They will run on 2017 cars for the first time when pre-season testing commences on February 27.

Flavio Briatore rules out Alonso F1 move from McLaren to Mercedes

a782da3c2459e82529599b6fa17df8f7.jpg

Fernando Alonso's long-time confidant Flavio Briatore has ruled out the Spaniard leaving McLaren to replace Nico Rosberg at Formula 1 rival Mercedes.

Rosberg shocked the world of motorsport last Friday when he announced his immediate retirement, five days after winning the world championship and having only signed a new deal to keep him with Mercedes until 2018 in July.

Mercedes has had significant interest in the seat, but boss Toto Wolff said he would be reluctant to "interfere" with contracted drivers such as Alonso and Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari.

Alonso still has one year left on his McLaren deal, having re-joined the team in 2015.

Briatore, Alonso's former manager and boss at Renault when he won his two world championships, told Gazzetta dello Sport: "How is it that, whenever a seat becomes available, Fernando is always mentioned?

"But there is a contract and we respect it."

64b6c690dad0b855a47ca026befe2b61.jpg

Alonso ended his Ferrari contract two years early to join McLaren in time for the 2015 season.

However, Briatore said the two scenarios were different because a special agreement had been made with Ferrari.

"The situation [at Ferrari] was different and we had an agreement with [then Ferrari president Luca di] Montezemolo," said Briatore.

"If we didn't win the title in 2014, we would be free.

"Luca kept that promise.

"It's true that [then team principal Marco] Mattiacci offered us a three-year renewal, but we refused."

RED BULL’S 2016 F1 SEASON IN THEIR OWN WORDS

We hear from various members of Red Bull Racing about the key events that unfolded in The World of Red Bull Racing this year, from the matte livery at the start of the season, our season expectations, Max joining the Team, the infamous Monaco pit stop, our Home Race in Austria, Max’s first win in Spain, the 1-2 in Malaysia all the way through to “Shoey, Shoey… Shoey!”

LOWE SET TO LEAVE AS MERCEDES COURT ALLISON

Sepang International Circuit, Sepang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Thursday 26 March 2015. Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (Technical), Mercedes AMG and James Allison, Technical Director, Ferrari. World Copyright: Alastair Staley/LAT Photographic. ref: Digital Image _79P9552

Technical head Paddy Lowe could be about to follow newly-retired Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg out of the door at dominant Mercedes, as the German team court James Allison

Multiple sources are reporting that Lowe, who has helped Mercedes to win three successive constructors’ titles, was set to join rivals Williams.

Mercedes, who were rocked by Rosberg’s retirement announcement only five days after he won the title at the end of last month in Abu Dhabi, had no comment on rumours that have been rife since September.

There was no immediate response from Williams, who use Mercedes engines and whose Finnish driver Valtteri Bottas has become the bookmakers’ favourite to replace Rosberg next season.

Lowe started his F1 career with former world champions Williams in 1987, and spent six years there. The team finished fifth overall this year.

Williams current technical head Pat Symonds is 63 and told Reuters in a recent interview that he would still be at the team next year, while also indicating that he was looking to reduce his workload.

“I love motorsport and the engineering of it but it is relentless. It really is intense. I’m still working 60 hours a week and there comes a time when I’d like to do other things as well,” he said.

Lowe’s contract at Mercedes is due to expire at the end of the year, according to reports in Britain and Germany, and the 53-year-old’s future has been the subject of considerable speculation.

McLaren, his previous employers, last week ruled out a move for the Briton amid reports that Lowe was poised to accept an offer from a rival team.

“We have absolutely no plans to re-hire Paddy, since we are entirely satisfied with our current senior engineering management team,” said a spokesman.

Lowe is one of three top managers running Mercedes — the others being shareholders Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda, who is the non-executive chairman.

Were he to go, Mercedes are expected to sign former Lotus and Ferrari technical head James Allison who is currently on ‘gardening leave’.

Allison, whose wife died suddenly of meningitis earlier in the year, left Ferrari by mutual agreement in July.

ROSBERG: LAUDA IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE WAY HE ACTS IN THE MEDIA

lauda rosberg mercedes

In response to scathing criticism from Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda for his sudden decision to quit the sport, Nico Rosberg claims the the F1 legend has changed his tune when speaking to media.

Lauda claimed to Die Welt that Rosberg has left Mercedes looking dumb. 

Rosberg responded to Lauda’s comments on Facebook, “The entire time I was talking a lot to Niki and [he was] completely different from the way he acts in the media. I think that is because of his disappointment, which I can understand.”

“It’s what made this decision the hardest for me because I know that I brought hard times upon my racing family. I knew that would happen, that was the hardest part and that is exactly why one hour after I decided to retire I told Toto Wolff, to give them as much time as possible to find an alternative.”

“But to say I deserted the team? Well, not really. I can’t only drive because of the team. And on top of that, Niki quit during a race weekend in 1979 in the middle of the season and he was younger than me.”

“Maybe he forgot about that,” added Rosberg in reference to Lauda quitting the Brabham team during practice for the 1979 Canadian Grand Prix, walking away from the sport because he was tired of “driving around in circles.”

Toro Rosso wants closer ties to sister team Red Bull in 2018

P-20161127-00268_News.jpg

Toro Rosso is hoping for greater synergy with sister team Red Bull now they have the same engine, but technical director James Key admitted it's too early to expect sharing of information and parts this year and is therefore eyeing more collaboration in 2018.

Toro Rosso, prior to its recent switch to Ferrari power, had used Red Bull's rear-end and other parts, allowing it to focus on other areas of development. With the two teams set to share an engine again next year, the opportunity for greater synergy is present again, allowing for a similar model to that of Haas and Ferrari.

But Key says that's unlikely to happen until 2018 because of the vast rule changes coming next year.

"There are several areas nowadays where it's acceptable to run the same part or for one team to design a bit and allow the other team to use it and so on, predominantly on power unit-related topics, but it also stretches to gearbox and suspension as well," explained Key.

"That's all good. It means we can pool our resources a bit more and have better synergies in those areas and certainly, both teams are looking to see what opportunities there are.

"The problem with new regulations of course is you've got nothing to discuss because you've got to go through the whole design process," he added.

"In 2017 therefore, there will not be that many opportunities for synergies. In the second year of these regs, once you've got bits that work within that set of regulations, then it opens up many more, so 2018 will be a better opportunity.

"Having said that, having the same engine helps. It draws together a huge amount of commonality in certain areas on the power train side."

Liberty Media shareholders set for January vote on F1 takeover

1763CB1D1600.jpg

Liberty Media shareholders will vote on whether or not the media company should proceed with its proposed Formula 1 takeover next month.

The US company has already acquired an 18.7 per cent stake in the sport from CVC Capital Partners, but hopes to increase that to a majority holding next year.

The process however requires majority support from Liberty Media's shareholders and the matter will go to a vote on January 17.

"Holders will be asked to vote on proposals relating to Liberty's issuance of shares of its Series C Liberty Media common stock in connection with the proposed acquisition of Formula 1 and the renaming of the Liberty Media Group and the Liberty Media common stock to the Formula One Group and the Liberty Formula One common stock, respectively, following the proposed acquisition of Formula 1 by Liberty."