FORMULA 1 - 2016

ROSBERG: I UNDERSTAND WHAT LEWIS DID BECAUSE WE ARE FIGHTERS

hamilton rosberg

Newly-crowned Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg on Tuesday downplayed Mercedes teammate and arch-rival Lewis Hamilton’s tactics to foil his chances at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, saying the issue doesn’t warrant much discussion.

To retain the world title Hamilton had to win and see Rosberg finish off the podium, and appeared to slow down while blocking him in the hope two other drivers could catch and overtake him.

“I can fully understand the team’s side of course because we have been working towards those guidelines for three years now. At the same time I can also understand Lewis because you know, we’re drivers, we’re fighters until the last metre,” the German said at a press conference held in Kuala Lumpur.

“It was about the world championships, he decided to try everything he could out there so, also in a way it’s understandable, even if it was very tough. And that’s it. I don’t think it’s something that needs to be discussed much.”

Rosberg clinched his maiden world title on Sunday, finishing second in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The 31-year-old concluded the longest season in the sport’s history with a nail-biting drive under intense pressure after leader and race winner Hamilton had slowed the field to create a difficult finish.

Hamilton reeled off his 10th win of the season –- the most by any driver not to win the title -– and the 53rd of his career, but his gamesmanship upset his team and his teammate in the closing laps, but ignored two instructions from the team to increase his speed at the front, but was unable to create a situation in which Rosberg could be attacked and passed.

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff, who helmed the presser with a jubilant Rosberg, was careful not to be drawn into a discussion on Hamilton and what consequences he may face.

“I can understand why he (Hamilton) drove like he drove, that was his instinct. He needed to do that and equally our system has made them win many races and created an era of dominance,” Wolff said.

“But again, let’s discuss it at a later stage. Today it’s about only this man,” he added pointing to Rosberg sitting beside him.

Rosberg and Wolff were in Kuala Lumpur attending a celebratory event by Petronas — the state oil firm and the Malaysian race’s title sponsor which also backs the Mercedes team.

Malaysia has said it will discontinue its Formula One Grand Prix race after 2018 due to falling revenues, waving the checkered flag on one of Asia’s longest-running F1 races.

“You’ve always had great racing, great races. I’m sure it’s done a lot for Malaysia to create attention around the world for your country, for business, for everything,” Rosberg said. “And anyway, let’s just enjoy the next two at least and then we see how it goes for the future.”

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

CAN LANCE STROLL HANDLE THE PRESSURE OF FORMULA 1?

WX4I0331.jpg

Teenager Lance Stroll will be able to handle the pressure when he makes his debut for Williams as Formula One’s latest hotshot next season, according to 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

The 18-year-old driver, who replaces Brazilian veteran Felipe Massa in the team’s lineup, is set to be the first Canadian to start a grand prix since Villeneuve retired in 2006.

“I don’t know if you have pressure when you are 18 or 19. I don’t think you realise. The pressure comes later when you actually realise what you are getting into,” said Villeneuve who won the world championship in his second season at Williams.

“At 18, 19 you are still playing even though you’re doing it professionally,” he told Reuters in an interview.

“It’s not the same kind of pressure. The pressure is there if there’s a chance of you not having a career out of it which is not really a risk for him,” added the 45-year-old.

Stroll won this year’s Formula Three title and follows in the footsteps of 19-year-old Dutch sensation Max Verstappen, a race winner with Red Bull in his second season.

The Canadian’s career to date has been financed by his billionaire father Lawrence who made a fortune from the Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors fashion brands.

Williams have said they have every confidence in the youngster, who won his junior championship in October with four races to spare, and have emphasised that he has earned the place on merit.

Villeneuve, who has underlined in the past that money is no substitute for talent, said Stroll certainly had the potential and time would answer other questions.

“We know he’s quick but we don’t know what his mettle is,” said the Canadian.

WX4I0305.jpg

“We don’t know when the going gets tough, and it will, what will happen. How will he react psychologically? That’s the only thing we don’t know.

“He’s with a good team, Williams is a good place to start. He will be well looked after and he can really become good. All we know is he’s been quick so we’ll see. The opportunity is there. It’s too early to criticise him.”

Stroll joined Williams last year as a development driver and has been ‘fully immersed’ since then in the same way that current Finnish race driver Valtteri Bottas was before joining.

He has already spent plenty of time in the team’s simulator and began a track programme in August using a 2014 car.

Villeneuve agreed that Verstappen, who has become a fan favourite with his overtaking skills and refusal to be cowed by anyone’s reputation, had set a benchmark and opened the door to other young talent.

Frenchman Esteban Ocon, who beat Verstappen to the 2014 F3 title and turned 20 in September, will be racing for Force India next season in another example of the youth wave sweeping the sport.

“Times have changed,” said Villeneuve who made his grand prix debut at 24. “Look at Verstappen. He wasn’t Formula Three champion and look at what he’s doing now. The whole environment has changed and you don’t need the same big background any more to perform in Formula One.”

Villeneuve, son of the late Ferrari favourite Gilles, also caused a sensation when he made his race debut in 1996 as a fast, fresh and free-spirited talent refusing to bow to convention.

But the Canadian was already proven at the highest level outside Formula One, winner of the 1995 Indianapolis 500 and U.S. CART series.

His arrival in Formula One, following in the footsteps of his swashbuckling father, was big box office in Canada just as Stroll’s debut is likely to be next year at his home race in Montreal.

“You can see it in the way the people are reacting. Canada was needing it so I really hope he’ll step up,” said Villeneuve. “He’s got a good base and now he just needs to step up to what F1 is.”

KEKE ROSBERG: LAST THREE SEASONS HAVE TAKEN A HIGH TOLL ON NICO

nico rosberg abu dhabi

The strain of fighting against Lewis Hamilton for the past three years will have sapped the strength of Formula One champion Nico Rosberg.

That verdict comes from a man who knows Rosberg better than most — his father Keke Rosberg, the 1982 F1 champion.

“He has a lot of seasons behind him and I’m sure that, especially, the last three seasons have taken a high toll,” Keke Rosberg said in the F1 paddock at Abu Dhabi where his son clinched his first title on Sunday after being runner-up to Hamilton in the previous two years.

“They’ve been very hard seasons, because you’re fighting for the championship for three years in a row, constantly,” Keke Rosberg said. “It’s much tougher than trying to finish sixth. I don’t know how much it’s taken out of him.”

Asked what he thinks his son will do next, the 67-year-old Keke Rosberg joked “maybe he retires tomorrow.”

Actually, he expects his son to continue for a few more years yet, “There’s quite a lot of mileage left in him.”

Next season promises to be an intense battle as Rosberg defends his title and Hamilton tries to wrest it back. Furthermore, the 19-year-old Red Bull driver Max Verstappen will be pushing them hard, as will four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel — whose Ferrari team ended the season without a race win.

“If you don’t raise your game, you freeze … You have a lot of talented people here who put in a big effort,” Keke Rosberg said as he stood outside the Mercedes motorhome.

“The level is always high in Formula One. Look at Max, he is the teammate of (Daniel) Ricciardo. Or Sebastian, he is the teammate of (Kimi) Raikkonen,” he continued. “On that level, when you take the top three teams, all of them have been world champions already, or at Red Bull they’re all young talents. That’s the level we have.”

The hallmark of Rosberg’s title-winning campaign was a steely resolve under Hamilton’s pressure, allied to high levels of consistency.

“You never have a 100 percent season. You’re not going to win all the races. It’s a bit like golf,” Keke Rosberg said. “When you hit the ball behind the tree, you have to recover from there. So even on a bad day, a golf pro plays a bad shot and recovers. That’s the difference. It’s the performance on a bad day, those points count.”

He was partly speaking from his own experience, having won the 1982 title despite winning only one of the 15 races that season.

Seeing his son win the title as the sun was setting in Abu Dhabi on Sunday evening was a strange feeling for Keke Rosberg.

“After the last two laps I was quite relieved, to be honest,” Keke Rosberg said. “I was a little bit nervous.”

Father and son were different kinds of drivers in different eras.

Rosberg Sr. was a dashing driver who loved to bash his car around the track in an occasionally reckless manner, while Rosberg Jr. is far more meticulous and methodical. But the mutual admiration shines through.

“For me it’s the story of father and a son, purely. I could have been a dentist, makes no difference,” Keke Rosberg said. “I’m happy for my son and that’s it. What I did is so long ago. It was a happy time, but it doesn’t carry you 30 years after.”

Keke Rosberg secured his title driving for the Williams team yet only won five races in his career, while 31-year-old Nico Rosberg already has 23 wins — albeit in an ultra-dominant Mercedes car.

“He is (a champion). He is standing on his own two feet. Don’t forget, I did like 114 Grand Prix in my life and he’s now done 200 or something,” Keke Rosberg said.

“So his level of experience and knowledge of the sport is so much higher than mine was. Also engineering, they are so much deeper in there than we were, it’s like a completely different world. We knew we had four wheels and that’s it.”

MONZA SIGNS NEW THREE-YEAR GRAND PRIX CONTRACT

GP MONZA F1/2013

Italy’s Monza circuit has finally signed a three-year contract to keep the country’s Formula One grand prix on the calendar, organisers said on Tuesday.

The new deal had already been agreed on a handshake with the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone at September’s race, when the last one expired, but the signing was delayed by legal wranglings.

“Despite thousands of difficulties and, with a lot of work, we’ve reached the definitive signing of the Monza contract,” said Italian Automobile Club (ACI) president Angelo Sticchi Damiani.

He posted a link on his Twitter feed to a photograph of him and Ecclestone completing the deal.

“With this we have just got rid of the awful idea that after 70 years Italy could lose one of the most prestigious, historic and fascinating car races in the world.”

With the exception of 1980, Ferrari’s home race at Monza has been on the Formula One calendar every year since the championship started in 1950.

Esteban Gutierrez likely to land Manor seat if buyout goes ahead

haas-gutierrez-wave.jpg

Manor owner Stephen Fitzpatrick recently revealed publically that he is in talks with an investor about a potential takeover or financial investment into the Banbury-based team, but refused to be drawn on the specifics, including who might be behind the deal.

According to respected Formula 1 journalist Joe Saward, that investor is American businessman Tavo Hellmund, and a deal has been on the table for many months, but at a price Hellmund isn't willing to pay.

Therefore negotiations are ongoing and it's believed Fitzpatrick is willing to come down on the price, whilst retaining some form of shareholding in the team.

Should the deal go ahead, then it's believed Esteban Gutierrez has been lined up as one of the team's two drivers.

Gutierrez, who recently lost his seat at Haas in favour of Kevin Magnussen, brings with him many millions in sponsorship from local sponsors, which would provide a much needed boost to Manor, having lost tenth in the standings to Sauber, which is equal to around $10 million in lost prize money.

Pascal Wehrlein is almost certain to keep the second seat as Manor are keen to retain strong relations with engine supplier Mercedes.

Jost Capito expects a 'big step' from Honda engine next season

1762CB1D9630.jpg

McLaren Racing boss Jost Capito says he fully expects Honda to make a "big step" forward with their power unit in 2017, as they have had enough time to understand what is required of them and for the relationship with McLaren to fully form.

Whilst Honda have taken massive strides this season compared to 2015, their power unit is still considered the weakest on the grid.

The Japanese manufacturer has big plans for next year, which includes a complete overhaul of the power unit's design – which has been made possible by the decision to scrap engine development tokens.

Capito is therefore expecting huge gains on both sides as he admitted McLaren too must improve if they're to beat the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull.

"I expect improvement on the car from McLaren and a big step from Honda on the engine," he told BBC Sport.

"It takes always a certain time to form a team with a new partner like this," he explained. "McLaren and Honda were partners before but it was a long time ago. All new people are involved and it takes a while for Honda to understand how McLaren works and for McLaren to understand how Honda works. I think this is now achieved."

Capito is confident the improvements will lead to a competitive McLaren.

"It is a very good partnership and the Honda guys understand more what is needed from the chassis side and we understand more what is needed from the engine side as well," he added.

"I expect really not just the improvement of each but also the improvement of the overall relationship. So one plus one is not two - it should be three."

Pirelli wraps up final F1 tyre test as "hard work" begins

Pirelli wraps up final F1 tyre test as

Pirelli completed the final test with its 2017 prototype Formula 1 tyres in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, and admitted the "hard work" starts now.

After 24 days of running, the final day of work was wrapped up by Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari, the three teams that have carried out all the testing during 2016.

Kimi Raikkonen was in action for Ferrari, while Lewis Hamilton and Pascal Wehrlein drove for Mercedes. Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo took to the track in the Red Bull.

Between them, a total of 331 laps of the Yas Marina circuit were completed.

Pirelli said approximately 96 different compounds were tested and now Pirelli must decide which one they will be used during the 2017 season.

"For the final test of the year, we had five F1 race drivers sample our 2017 prototypes as we completed the development programme with three cars at the same time," said Pirelli boss Paul Hembery.

"Now the hard work begins as we collate and analyse the results of our 24 days and approximately 12,000 kilometres of testing in order to define the tyres with which we will go racing next year.

"These will then be run on the actual 2017 cars for the first time during the official group tests next February.

"Our latest test in Abu Dhabi went according to plan and we were able to collect the data we needed thanks to the three mule cars from Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari; without whom it would have been impossible to carry out this intense development programme."

ANALYSIS: HOW RED BULL F1 DROPPED THE BALL ON A DAY WHEN MERCEDES WAS VULNERABLE

Image result for ANALYSIS: HOW RED BULL F1 DROPPED THE BALL ON A DAY WHEN MERCEDES WAS VULNERABLE

The season finale was packed with drama and tension, especially at the end as Lewis Hamilton tried everything to change his situation and win the world championship.

His personal strategy was clear, meanwhile team race strategy decisions had a huge bearing on what happened behind him, with Red Bull trying to win the race using a different strategy gambit, but getting caught out by some excellent work by Ferrari.

The Scuderia beat Red Bull despite having a slower car, thanks to strategy.

Here’s the inside track from strategists involved in the race, on how it all happened.

Image result for ANALYSIS: HOW RED BULL F1 DROPPED THE BALL ON A DAY WHEN MERCEDES WAS VULNERABLE

Pre Race Expectations

With three tyres to choose from this year, many teams had prioritised the ultra soft for qualifying and the soft for the race. But having a new set of supersofts for the final stint of the race turned out to be a very beneficial strategy.

Red Bull decided to use theirs in the Q2 qualifying session, which meant that they would start the race on them. To do this and to forfeit the chance to have a new set of supersofts at the end meant that it was critical both drivers had a long and productive first stint.

Many teams’ strategy models showed that a one stop strategy was possible starting on the Soft and then using the Supersoft at the end, a luxury not allowed for the top ten, who had to start on their qualifying tyres.

To do one stop starting on supersofts was possible, but right on the limit. Max Verstappen pulled it off superbly after dropping to the back at the start. Daniel Ricciardo was left wishing he had tried one stop too after losing out to Vettel and Verstappen at the end.

Very stable conditions as always at Yas Marina led to ideal practice running for all teams and a clear picture of what the tyres would be capable of on race day.

Image result for redbull ferrari abu dhabi 2016  

Mercedes vs. Red Bull vs. Ferrari

What made this race unique was that Red Bull and Ferrari could be certain of one thing about Mercedes’ strategy: it would have to be conservative and fair to both drivers as they were fighting for a world championship.

That meant a straight forward two stop strategy for both; ultrasoft – soft –soft.

Knowing this meant that their rivals could seek to exploit it and there was a certain vulnerability to Mercedes for this race, even if they still had a modest car pace advantage in race conditions.

Furthermore, it was clear that Lewis Hamilton would have to back his team mate Nico Rosberg into the pack at some point in the race, to try to get two cars between him and his rival and swing the points advantage his way. This was always likely to be towards the end of the race, when Rosberg would have no time or strategy options to recover.

Knowing that, Ferrari went into this race better prepared than Red Bull and this was a race and a podium that they took away from Red Bull, which is pretty unusual for this season. Normally it is the other way around.

Verstappen’s race was obviously compromised by the first lap spin he suffered and he had to negotiate quite a bit of traffic. He had considered a one-stop strategy anyway after qualifying a disappointing sixth on the grid, but the team went for it after losing so much ground.

After what happened on the opening lap, Ricciardo’s race should have been significantly further up the road than Verstappen’s but he finished behind him. Here is why.

Image result for daniel ricciardo abu dhabi 2016

It started when he lost a position at the start to Raikkonen. The superior grip off the line of the ultrasoft will have contributed to that.

Red Bull then got caught out by the conflict between what they normally do well, which is to be aggressive in the first stint and undercut other cars and what they were set up to do in this race, which is run a long first stint on supersoft.

Ferrari spotted a gap to drop Vettel back into on Lap 8 when Kvyat and Button were fighting each other. Once that happened, Ricciardo needed to push for quite a few laps longer than the others he was racing against or he would have got nothing. Christian Horner said that a slightly flat spotted tyre compromised this plan, but Ricciardo played that down.

At this stage they had Verstappen one stopping and now in position ahead of Rosberg, Raikkonen and Vettel, which gave an ideal opportunity to have Verstappen hold back the Ferraris and Rosberg and make a gap for Ricciardo but instead of this, they pitted Ricciardo on Lap 9 and he lost all the advantage of qualifying on supersofts.

Verstappen’s performance showed that Ricciardo could have had much more flexibility in his strategy. He could have done a much longer first stint and then been prepared to attack at the end on fresher tyres, when Hamilton would be likely to hold up the field.

Image result for ferrari formula 1 abu dhabi 2016

This is what Vettel did after a long second stint.

After that their only chance to boost Ricciardo was to undercut Raikkonen at the second stop, which they did manage to do. He finished fifth, whereas second or third could have been possible and this would have really put pressure on Rosberg at the end!

So you could argue that in both Brazil on Verstappen’s car and in Abu Dhabi on Ricciardo’s, Red Bull made strategy errors that took their cars out of the way and helped Rosberg’s cause, inadvertently simplifying his path to the championship. It’s another aspect that shows that his name was clearly meant to be on the trophy this season!

Looking at the whole strategy approach in a different way; knowing that the lowering track temperatures as night falls always play to the strengths of the supersoft tyres and knowing Hamilton was likely to slow everything down at the end; there was a good chance of an attacking end on supersofts paying dividends. Both ways up, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that Red Bull picked the wrong strategy.

The Vettel strategy, which was opposed to Ricciardo’s, was clearly the right gambit. That is especially clear when you consider that the underlying pace demonstrated in Verstappen’s final stint was the fastest of any car on the track.

So Ferrari beat Red Bull with a slower car; a positive way to end a very difficult season.

Image result for fernando alonso abu dhabi 2016

Alonso and McLaren try to ‘do a Vettel’

There was an interesting little cameo in the midfield, where Fernando Alonso and McLaren had the same idea as Ferrari and Vettel.

It was another very strong drive by Alonso that didn’t get much attention. They were unlucky not to get past the Williams and Force India of Massa and Perez at the end as they also made the right moves with a long middle stint and an attacking supersoft stint at the end, like Vettel’s

This is another example of how it’s important to remember that every car in the Grand Prix has a different equation; depending on how fast it is, where it is in the field and what the risks are in making a certain strategy call.

Vettel was trailing the Red Bulls when he went for this tactic and Alonso was trailing the Williams and Force India. Both had nothing to lose by trying.

And that is an ideal way to end another season of F1 strategy analysis. We hope you have enjoyed it and look forward to next season’s action when the new cars designed to the more aggressive 2017 specification hit the track.

VETTEL DETAINED BY POLICE BEFORE ABU DHABI WEEKEND

sebastian vettel f1

It has emerged in German media that Sebastian Vettel’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend got off to an uncomfortable start as the Ferrari driver was held by track security and local police, after an unpleasant confrontation ahead of the race weekend.

Vettel arrived at Yas Marina Circuit on Thursday, he was put through the intense security measures that prevail at the entrance of the venue and when told his back pack needed searching Vettel requested that the official wear gloves.

Reports differ regarding what transpired form the point onward. One suggests that things got heated when Vettel lost his cool and pushed the official, others claim he only prevented the official from searching his backpack without gloves. Whatever the case the officials took offence.

As a result he was detained for an hour by the security detail, before he was allowed to make his way to the Ferrari villa in the paddock.

It has also emerged that Formula One Management (FOM) employees also faced problems with security officials. However, they were less fortunate than Vettel as they were held for a number of hours and prevented from taking up their posts.

They were accused of having offended the security staff with foul language which is a jail-able offence in the United Arab Emirates.

In an internal mail from FOM to the teams, recipients were advised to deal more cautiously with the local authorities during the course of the weekend.

Article 374 of the UAE’s Penal Code states: “Punishment by detention for a period not exceeding six months or by a fine not exceeding 5,000 Dirhams ($1,300) shall apply if slander or abuse is transmitted by telephone, or face to face with the victim and in the presence of a third party.”

UAE residents, particularly, expats are wary of local security officials and police who are notoriously short fused and not tempered by internationally accepted policing protocols.

MCLAREN BOSS WOULD WELCOME HAMILTON RETURN

zak-brown-2

Amid a civil war brewing within the Mercedes camp in the aftermath of a thrilling title deciding Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, newly appointed McLaren boss Zak Brown has indicated that Lewis Hamilton returning to Woking could happen.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Brown said, “I will move heaven and earth to have the best two race-car drivers in our car. Right now, we have them and Stoffel is going to be outstanding.”

And added, “Lewis is an awesome driver who has a great history here and I certainly wouldn’t rule anything out. But right now, I’m happy with what we have.”

For 2017 McLaren have Stoffel Vandoorne, replacing Jenson Button who has retired from F1, and moves into the driving seat alongside Fernando Alonso in the sport’s second most successful team.

In a separate interview with Sky F1, Brown affirmed, “You can’t rule out anything for 2019, 2020. We will see what our current drivers want to do.”

Hamilton is in hot water with his team after ignoring team instructions to pick up the pace in the final stages of the race in Abu Dhabi. Instead he continued to back title rival and teammate Nico Rosberg into the path of chasing Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen.

Despite Rosberg accepting and even praising Hamilton’s “perfect” tactics, Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff has hinted at some sort of sanction for what he has called “anarchy” by the three times world champion.

Hamilton was a McLaren protege for much of his junior racing career. He made his grand prix debut with the team and won his first of three F1 world titles with the team in 2008.

HAMILTON: NICO MUST ENJOY IT BECAUSE I WILL TAKE IT BACK NEXT YEAR

rosberg hamilton abu dhabi

Lewis Hamilton has not taken long to accept that he is no longer Formula 1 World Champion, instead it is his childhood rival and Mercedes teammate who will carry the number one plate in 2017, but the Briton has advised the sport’s 33rd World Champion to enjoy the accolade while he can.

Speaking to The Sun, Hamilton acknowledged, “It is going to be amazing for Nico over the the next few days and he will celebrate. Having the number one on his car will be a great feeling for him.”

But warned, “He has to enjoy it while it lasts because I am going to work hard in my winter and take it right back next season.”

Looking back on his season, in which he won ten races – more than anyone else – Hamilton said, “The odds were stacked against us this year and it was a long season to end up with the pace and speed in the car but not end up with the result you wanted. It is definitely tough.”

“Congratulations to Nico, he did everything he had to do. It was not his fault he had pretty much perfect reliability. He did what he was meant to but I will just say to him, I am going to fight hard next year to take it back.”

As for the controversial backing-up tickets that have divided opinions in the Formula 1 world, Hamilton explained, “I did not know what to do at the beginning of the race. I got in the lead and that was not the kind of race I like to have because I could just drive forwards and pull away but then I would allow the guy to cruise in behind me.”

“But in the last stint, I just tried to help myself because I was not getting any help anywhere else. I did not put Nico in harm’s way. I did not cause the team any damage and everyone should be happy with a one-two. I did everything within fair reason,” concluded Hamilton.

RICCIARDO: I AM THE PEASANTS’ WORLD CHAMPION!

p-20161124-00763_hires-jpeg-24bit-rgb

Daniel Ricciardo finished third in the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship, which made him best of the rest behind the dominant Mercedes duo and the big smiling Aussie joked that he should get a special accolade for the achievement.

Ricciardo said during a post season interview, “There should be a separate title in this V6 era for ‘best of the rest’, I could be world champion of the rest … the peasants’ world champion!”

The Red Bull driver won the Malaysian Grand Prix, while strategy errors cost him possible victories in Spain and Monaco. Nevertheless he, along with teammate Max Verstappen, gave it their best shot at unsettling the Silver Arrows and make them graft that bit harder.

Ricciardo reflected, “If I didn’t have a victory, like if Malaysia didn’t happen, then I would look back and say sure, I should have maybe been a multiple race winner this year’. But because I got that victory I’m not going to say it could have been better, I could have had two or three.”

“I got the pole [in Monaco], which I hadn’t had before, and obviously got back on the top step so for me that’s awesome. And peasant’s champion, so it’s been solid.

“We expected to be fighting in the midfield in the first handful of races this year and we came out with some fourths. Then what was probably going to be a second in China, that was the third race of the year, we had the puncture and whatever but it was looking really good. We were like, alright, and it sort of got better so that was really cool.

“The win in Malaysia was epic, the pole in Monaco was in a way my highlight. I obviously didn’t tell people but I put a lot of pressure on myself to go there that weekend and execute it. I really believed I could, so for me to do that lap was kind of a relief because I did put a bit of pressure on myself. So that was cool,” recollected Ricciardo who ended the season with eight podiums and 256 points.

ROSBERG: THE PRESSURE SLOWS YOU DOWN

Days after being crowned 2016 Formula 1 World Champion, Nico Rosberg gave insight into the pressure he endured in the final races of the season when his Mercedes teammate and title rival Lewis Hamilton ramped up the pressure.

Speaking to  media in Kuala Lumpur, at the headquarters of title sponsor Petronas, Rosberg revealed, “The last couple of races, that was not the real Nico. The pressure slows you down but I am happy to come through the way that I did while on the other side Lewis had nothing to lose.”

Rosberg’s last win of the season was at the Japanese Grand Prix, from which point he needed only to finish behind Hamilton to win the title. This he did.

The newly crowned world champion explained his attitude in the past few months, where he was short of words and did little to engage with reporters as he focused on the task at hand, “I don’t change what I said, please respect that you are a powerful entity and I needed to get through this. I’m sure you understand that.”

Hamilton dug deep in the final races winning four in succession as he raised his game in a final surge to hang on to the title that he owned for the past two years.

Rosberg pointed out, “In the past few races it is the best Lewis we have ever seen because he had no pressure, super motivated, super concentrated and working as hard as ever.

“He had nothing to lose when I had the pressure as I was the one in front and had something to lose. That definitely made it more difficult so I am glad it worked out,” declared Formula 1’s 33rd World Champion.

FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash

P-20160619-01022_News.jpg

The FIA has confirmed the official 20-race 2017 Formula 1 calendar, which avoids this year’s Baku/24 Hours of Le Mans clash.

F1’s first race weekend in Azerbaijan took place at the same time as the 24-hour endurance event and the initial 2017 calendar draft overlapped the two once again.

But a number of schedule changes mean that now won’t be the case next year.

The 2017 F1 calendar will fall to 20 races after the removal of the German Grand Prix, with the Azerbaijan round being moved to one week later.

Races in Austria and Britain have been pushed back by a week, meaning Silverstone’s F1 visit clashes with the Formula E in New York.

Singapore has switched back with Malaysia to become a stand-alone race, rather than a back-to-back with Japan.

The Hungarian GP has been moved one week further forward, while Mexico has been pushed back by seven days to reclaim its spot as back-to-back with the USA (rather than Brazil).

Meanwhile the previously “subject to confirmation” tag for Canada and Brazil has been dropped.

F1 will kick off in 2017 with the Australian GP on the 26 March, concluding on the 26 November in Abu Dhabi.

2017 F1 schedule:

Australian Grand Prix – March 26

Chinese Grand Prix – April 9

Bahrain Grand Prix – April 16

Russian Grand Prix – April 30

Spanish Grand Prix – May 14

Monaco Grand Prix – May 28

Canadian Grand Prix – June 11

European Grand Prix – June 25

Austrian Grand Prix – July 9

British Grand Prix – July 16

Hungarian Grand Prix – July 30

Belgian Grand Prix – August 27

Italian Grand Prix – September 3

Singapore Grand Prix – September 17

Malaysian Grand Prix – October 1

Japanese Grand Prix – October 8

United States Grand Prix – October 22

Mexican Grand Prix – October 29

Brazilian Grand Prix – November 12

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – November 26

Maurizio Arrivabene: Abu Dhabi podium a 'boost of motivation' for Ferrari

160056-abu.jpg

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene says Sebastian Vettel’s podium finish at the 2016 Formula 1 season finale is a “boost of motivation” for Ferrari.

The German driver started fifth but used an alternative strategy, going onto the super-soft tyres late on, to move up to third place.

He caught the Mercedes drivers towards the end of the race, with Lewis Hamilton backing up Nico Rosberg in a bid to secure the 2016 title.

But Vettel couldn’t find a way through and had to settle for third, behind race winner Hamilton and new champion Rosberg.

After a tough and win-less season, Arrivabene says the podium finish will be a boost to the team’s spirits ahead of the winter.

“This podium finish is a boost to the motivation of the whole team, for the people back home, who have been working so hard since this summer, and for the ones at the track, who never gave up,” he said.

“It’s clear that we did not reach the targets we had set for ourselves, yet this last race shows that something is moving in the right direction.”

Stewart: Hamilton is a little ballerina

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jackie_Stewart

Formula 1 legend Jackie Stewart called fellow triple World Champion Lewis Hamilton a ‘little ballerina’ following his refusal to obey team orders at the recently concluded Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Hamilton slowed his Silver Arrow down on purpose while he was in the lead to increase the chance of his team-mate Nico Rosberg being overtaken. The tactic proved fruitless as the German went onto win the Drivers’ Championship after he held P2 through to the end.

Adding to the backlash Hamilton received for his tactics, Stewart said Mercedes should definitely punish his British compatriot.

“I think he (Hamilton) can be a little ballerina,” Stewart told the Press Association.

“Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda are not stupid people, and neither is the Mercedes chairman who often comes to grands prix.

“You cannot threaten a multi-national corporation of that size by one man who is just not doing it the right way.”

Stewart believes that Hamilton is contractually obliged to follow team orders and added that Mercedes need to make an example out of him.

“Now, I am sorry, but when you are paid between 20 and 30 million pounds a year and you are told to do something you have got to do it. I don’t care who you are,” he explained.

“It is not the first time he has gone against instructions, and if he is going to continue to do that they have the choice of dropping him.

“He only does 21 races a year. It is no big deal. We worked our a*** off to make decent money, and they don’t even do much testing now.

“Mercedes may just give him another heavy warning, but if they do that they would then have to say ‘this is what is going to happen the next time you disobey orders’. Another way would be to penalise him financially.”

Lauda says Hamilton's tactics were doomed to fail

Lauda says Hamilton's tactics were doomed to fail

Niki Lauda has questioned Lewis Hamilton’s backing up tactics in Abu Dhabi, saying that the Briton had no chance of pushing Nico Rosberg back to fourth place.

Appearing post-race on Channel 4, Lauda - who won the 1984 title by finishing second to main rival Alain Prost in the season finale - was asked if he would have done the same as Hamilton in a championship battle.

"I tell you, honestly if I think about it now, not to annoy my team colleague, honestly," he said. "We did all the tricks in the past, but there was still a simple respect for the other one.

"Nico did a great job the whole season, he had 12 points in advance, so to push him all the way back to fourth would never have happened.

"With Nico I really congratulate him, because the first championship is the biggest hard work ever, and therefore it's fantastic for us."

While Lauda said he "understood" Hamilton's ploy from a racing driver's perspective, he said that the priority should have been ensuring Mercedes won the race in the "most secure way" when under threat from Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari in the closing stages.

"I understand Lewis's action," said the Austrian. "On the other hand, there's a team effort.

"Mercedes has to win, in the most secure way, these races. In the end it was only exciting, but not secure. So in the end we gave him an order, speed up. He said, 'Leave me alone. I'm racing,' which is a funny quote, by the way."

Nasr still working on Sauber deal despite losing sponsor

Nasr still working on Sauber deal despite losing sponsor

Felipe Nasr says he is willing to “try anything” in a bid stay at the Sauber Formula 1 team in 2017, despite the blow of losing his Banco do Brasil sponsorship.

The Brazilian admits that confirmation of the loss of the multi-million dollar backing has made his job a lot harder, despite his ninth-place finish at Interlagos providing Sauber with a huge financial boost.

“It doesn’t help, but I cannot change it now,” Nasr told Motorsport.com. “We have to work on a solution. But we know how time is crucial in F1.

"My priority is to stick here [at Sauber] if we can, so let’s work on it. Now that the championship is over, we can put our focus on that.

“Money still talks over talent. As I said, we’re still working on a solution, we’re still working on things that we can do from our side, and as long as there is still energy and the will to be here. We’ll try anything.”

Asked if Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn was leaving the door open while he tried to put a deal together, he said: “I don’t know. You should ask her.

"All I can say is I gave the team those two points. It’s the best sponsorship you can think of.”

Nasr however did not rule out a future at Manor, the only other team with seats open for 2017.

“I really have to put things on the table," he added. "I’m not closing the door to anyone right now. I’m really looking at the options and analysing them to see what is best for my future.”

Kimi Raikkonen can't understand Nico Rosberg F1 doubters

3f71e260eb8ce6c64eff9caaf8ac1bb3.jpg

Ferrari Formula 1 driver Kimi Raikkonen says he does not understand how Nico Rosberg could be considered not to deserve the world championship.

Some have questioned whether the reliability problems that cost Rosberg's Mercedes team-mate, Lewis Hamilton, points this season casts aspersions over Rosberg worthiness as world champion.

But Raikkonen, who won the crown in 2007 during his first stint at Ferrari, shot down this idea.

"He scored more points and I don't understand why he wouldn't deserve it," said Raikkonen when asked about Rosberg's title win.

"They [Rosberg and Hamilton] had the same car and he came out on top, so fair play.

"He was better this year, as simple as that."

Raikkonen's Ferrari team-mate, Sebastian Vettel, also stressed that Rosberg did not luck in.

"You don't win the championship by luck," said Vettel.

"He's a deserved champion. You collect a lot of points through the season.

"Sometimes you might have fortunate situations, unfortunate situations with your car but that's the way it goes.

"This is Nico's day and it's a sign of respect and greatness to give him that."

SIGNS WERE ALWAYS THERE

324c3e540c3139d55afaecf2db572257.jpg

Claire Williams, deputy team principal of Williams, where Rosberg raced from 2006-2009, says she always believed he could be world champion.

She cited Rosberg setting fastest lap on his grand prix debut in Bahrain 2006, when he also scored two points for seventh place, as evidence of his speed.

"It was pretty clear, you know there are certain drivers when they come to you are of that kind of material, and he was," said Williams.

"He's done a great job. He's done everything he's needed to do to win.

"He probably feels it's a long time in the making, but he is a truly deserved world champion."

F1 champion Nico Rosberg's battle with Max Verstappen 'brave'

6682e73653241547e2177cc75a36ab47.jpg

Christian Horner described Nico Rosberg's pass on Max Verstappen as "brave" and a deciding moment in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where he clinched the Formula 1 world title.

Rosberg found himself behind Verstappen, who spun at the first corner after contact with Nico Hulkenberg and fought back up while staying out as the leading cars pitted.

Mercedes told Rosberg he needed to pass Verstappen but to be careful, setting up a tense battle as the two went wheel-to-wheel with the Red Bull driver holding firm.

After backing off for a few laps, Rosberg was instructed to attack again as it was critical to his race and this time, the German made a pass stick through Turns 8 and 9.

"Nico was quite brave on the move that he made on Max," said Red Bull team principal Horner.

"It looked like he decided to get on with it at that point, we know Max isn't the easiest car in the paddock to overtake.

"For me, that was the deciding moment in Nico's race."

Rosberg described being told to pass Verstappen as "not a nice thing to hear", adding to the stress of the title fight with Lewis Hamilton, who tried to back him into the chasing pack.

070c28635caff5be0ab6bae5dd2b99db.jpg

While Sebastian Vettel eventually took over as Rosberg's closest threat at the end, Verstappen completed his one-stop strategy to take fourth place.

"He lost very little time passing all of those cars and not killing his tyres," said Horner.

"So then to be able to get those tyres to get to lap 21 was a very impressive performance."

Horner said it became clear a one-stop was possible when Hamilton did not pull away at the front and Rosberg cooled off his attack of Verstappen momentarily.

"It looked like Rosberg was being instructed not to go anywhere near Max," said Horner.

"While he was doing that obviously that was making the one stop become more and more available.

"Lewis looked like he was hanging back waiting for him so the fact that Max was able to get to lap 21 on the super-soft tyre, from that point it looked like a one-stop was the plan."

F1 world champion Keke Rosberg believes Verstappen needs guidance

edd189e182e07c2b366378ade4760fcc.jpg

Former Formula 1 world champion Keke Rosberg, father of Nico Rosberg, has suggested Max Verstappen needs more guidance to cut out mistakes.

Verstappen spun at the first corner in Abu Dhabi's season finale after hitting the sidepod of Nico Hulkenberg's Force India, dropping to last before recovering to finish fourth.

While Nico Rosberg did spend time stuck behind Verstappen, who jumped back up to second by lap 10 thanks to running a 21-lap stint on super-softs, the Red Bull driver's spin did compromise his race.

"He sorted it out himself in the first corner, didn't he," said Rosberg Sr.

"But maybe they will start educating him one day?

"He is a very talented guy, but he needs a little bit of guidance.

"He is throwing away great results all the time, and F1 is all about results."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner admitted that Verstappen can still improve.

But he stressed that the 19-year-old, who finished fifth in the world championship, is showing maturity.

7f6dd6019e4417cf264f74fc96c036de.jpg

"Any sportsman can improve in all areas," said Horner. "He is gaining experience all the time.

"He drove a very mature race and the way he looked after both the super-soft and the soft tyre was very mature.

"As he gains that experience, it will stand him in better stead for the coming years.

"There are always areas that you can improve and it is working on those marginal returns.

Verstappen described what happened as a racing incident and exonerated Hulkenberg from all blame.

"It was a bit of a racing incident, I don't blame Nico at all," said Verstappen.

"I think he just couldn't really see me with the mirrors, so I tried everything to avoid him but it didn't work so I spun, but I don't blame him.

"From there onwards, to find my way back actually I enjoyed it very much."

That Renault engine on the back half of the season was pretty damn good.  Not Merc level good but every bit the equal of Ferrari's.  It's going to be a full house at the top of the crowd next season with Merc and the RB guys.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skalls said:

That Renault engine on the back half of the season was pretty damn good.  Not Merc level good but every bit the equal of Ferrari's.  It's going to be a full house at the top of the crowd next season with Merc and the RB guys.  

Let's not forget aero now will play a big part even more so than the past three seasons and whilst Mercedes are great, Adrian Newey is "The master" 

• Like 2

Good race and a good year.

Merc had already won their comp so let the drivers race. If Rosberg was concerned with Vettel then overtake the car in front ( if unsure how to do it then watch Verstappen)

I cant stand Hamilton but I agree with his actions on this one. If the team orders were more relevant for the team then he should be disciplined but not in this case.

Good luck to Daniel for 2017, I hope its his year, but with a hungry Max I dont see it. 

Mika,

Thanks for another great year of contributions.

• Like 2