Whisky Bar - The Cobbler

Guest rob

While in Brisbane for Havanathon, great mate Stan and his wife Anthea took Glen and I out for dinner. After a superb feast (yes, it was literally a feast!), the reprobates that we are were in search of a bar to have a whisky. Not just any whisky - we wanted something worthy of the weekend we were enjoying.

We asked around and were told of a semi-discreet whisky bar named The Cobbler in Brisbane's West End.

We walked in and our faces lit up with huge smiles! There must have been a selection of over 200 bottles lined up to greet us. Very pleased we were! Their well presented drinks menu showed they even did amazing cocktails, made with the care and attention you only see in the finest venues.

After perusing a comprehensive and impressive whisky menu, arranged by region, we elected to start by ordering a couple of the Glendronach 'Batch' release series. Glen chose the 1994 Oloroso, and I chose the 1994 Piedro Ximenez. They were excellent as expected.

While at the bar, I noticed that they had a great selection of SMWS bottlings. My eyes lit up and my heart fluttered as there are generally only one to two SMWS bars in each state - and I was lucky enough to stumble across one! I got talking to the knowledgable staff, and sensing my enthusiasm they called the owner of the establishment over to have a chat with me.

Martin Lange is a great bloke, and reciprocated my enthusiasm for the SMWS, by generously pouring me a couple of extra-special drams. I was humbled and flattered by his extremely generous gesture, and can't possibly thank him enough. Bloody awesome!

The SMWS Hanyu 131.2 he poured me was an absolute treat that I feel privileged to have been lucky enough to try - twice on the same night! An extremely complex malt, with a beautifully balanced and complex palate that defines it's subtly salty nose. What a thrill ride!

If you are ever in Brisbane, and want to get away from the pedestrian, run of the mill mundane bullshit - you owe it to yourself to get to The Cobbler in the West End.

Enjoy the good times!

post-2995-0-53250900-1446624752_thumb.jp

post-2995-0-06792000-1446624780_thumb.jp

Someone get the bartender a shirt with a collar,at least..............

Staff were all impeccably dressed. In fairness, Martin wasn't working the floor and came out front when a staff member called for him to come and see me,

In fact, the whole 'fit out' was well executed, and done great.

Thanks for posting about this place, Rob. What a great find and I'm doubly glad you've opened a forum topic about The Cobbler after we chatted about it last Friday night. (It seems so long ago now!)

It reminds me of the Baxter Inn in the Sydney CBD.