Need help with my next scotch purchase

Lant63

By the way I reckon they will hold back a few current stock glendronach and sell them in a decade for quite a lot more.

You'll be able to compare future 15 year old made up of 15 yrs .

And current revival made up of older distills.

Get in while you can

High proof and sherried for a good piss-up: Glenfarclas 105, guaranteed widespread memory loss the next day for $200 worth of it.

Otherwise for a more sophisticated and orderly proceeding, try the Glenfarclas 21 Year Old. I think you might be able to get about a couple of bottles of this for $200.

• Like 4

Flame me all you like but I know what I'm talking about.

Just letting you in on a bargain ...

They were not even distilling 15 years ago.. So how do they have an age statement 15 years made up of less than 15 year old whiskies?

It's a class distillery and could have changed much more for this fine scotch

You missed my post where I said that I was wrong... plus I didn't say "less than 15Y". BTW, I had only the 12YO and was less than impressed.

High proof and sherried for a good piss-up: Glenfarclas 105, guaranteed widespread memory loss the next day for $200 worth of it.

Otherwise for a more sophisticated and orderly proceeding, try the Glenfarclas 21 Year Old. I think you might be able to get about a couple of bottles of this for $200.

How did you know that this was one of my alterior motives?! Blackout drunk on the nice stuff is always a great plan!

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

How did you know that this was one of my alterior motives?! Blackout drunk on the nice stuff is always a great plan...

You kidding me? I went to college/university too, you know. LOL

The 105 is nice the aberlour a'bunadh is better in my opinion especially batch 45...

For $200 you can get both.

• Like 2

Duty-free version is higher ABV and non-chill-filtered.

Regular version was 43% ABV, now 40% ABV and chill-filtered.

Awesome value. rolleyes.gif

The regular version is a very nice dram but indeed quite overpriced considering ABV, chill filtered and coloured. Liked it but won't buy again.

You missed my post where I said that I was wrong... plus I didn't say "less than 15Y". BTW, I had only the 12YO and was less than impressed.

I found the 15yo Revival quite impressive (only if you like sherried whiskies of course). Very "autumny" flavour profile imo.

Tried out the bowmore. It was just ok. I didn't like the flavor of musty/seaweed right when I initially sipped it. But, I did like the finish which was long sweet oakey and and little vanilla.

-Stogie Boy

Tried out the bowmore. It was just ok. I didn't like the flavor of musty/seaweed right when I initially sipped it. But, I did like the finish which was long sweet oakey and and little vanilla.

-Stogie Boy

I didn't start to enjoy scotch until I was thirty and peated whiskey until I was almost 40. Just how my palate evolved. IIRC you are still in or just graduated college so maybe just give it some more time before you delve into the cask strength Islays :)

• Like 1

If you don't like peat/iodine/seaweed flavors, I'd highly recommend picking up a bottle of Oban 14. You can find it at Costco anywhere from $48-$60. I think you'll REALLY like it. Very underrated imo.

• Like 3

If you don't like peat/iodine/seaweed flavors, I'd highly recommend picking up a bottle of Oban 14. You can find it at Costco anywhere from $48-$60. I think you'll REALLY like it. Very underrated imo.

Love the bottle I got. But dang, steal of a price as out here in WA it was $100 (after our lame taxes)

Love the bottle I got. But dang, steal of a price as out here in WA it was $100 (after our lame taxes)

Tell me about it. Went to school in WA. At least you can now buy hard alcohol at Costco...hated those state-run stores.

• Like 1

I've heard good things about this stuff too. I'm going to have to do some reading, and maybe some taste testing before I decide.

-Stogie Boy

Some really nice suggestions. I feel like it's tough to hand out suggestions to newbies. My philosophy, currently practicing and preaching, is try to read about scotch, and then try everything you can. I'd like to think I'm just exiting the newbie stage at age 29, maybe not, so I can really only offer a few bottles that I would consider special occasion worthy.

I went to a whiskey and cupcake tasting where I first tried Scapa 16. Went with a vanilla cake/vanilla cream cupcake. Wow. The flavors set each other off; what a compliment. For a light, easy drinking, yet complex (but subtle) scotch it's well worth the 70 or so price tag. Pretty quick finish but would suit a new scotch drinker do to its approachability.

My first taste of Balvenie 21 was at a holiday family gathering. It's been a while, but still one of the most refined, balanced and great tasting whiskies I've ever tasted. The price has rose however, almost to the point now where it isn't worth it personally. I believe it's at 280 now locally.

It's an unorthodox choice, but Dalmore Cigar Malt is an interesting scotch. It's so different from the more common peateds, sherries, and other wine finishes, it makes you sit back and think about what is going on in your mouth. Odd because I believe it is at least finished in sherry/wine barrels. It took me a while to realize what I was tasting, what comes to mind is orange peal but the rest escapes me. It's oddly fruity, but there are memories of milk chocolate, which is weird because I haven't tasted this scotch for a couple years. For some reason this scotch tasted much different the second and third time I tried it. It went from meh, to wow, to this is an awesome, unique scotch. I forget the pricing, 100 -150 range I believe.

My top two:

Highland Park 18 might be my overall favorite to date. For someone that wants to experience the peat smoke associated with Lagavulin and Laphroaig, but not be hit over the head with it, this is where you start (maybe next to Talisker 18). It's incredible how this whiskey lends the smoke subtly, while taking you on one of the longest taste journeys that I've experienced in a spirit. It is viscous, to the point where it coats your mouth like paint and sticks there for minutes. App. 140.

Keep on the lookout for the Diageo 2010 release Glen Spey 21. They are pretty rare now though. I honestly don't know where to begin with this one, but every time I taste it an astringent "winey" dry character always enters my mind. Another incredibly long finish, it has a (sorry if I can't come up with a flavor profile right now, it's clear liquor season for me) very unique character that lasts for minutes. It may be off the top of my head a top 3 special occasion spirit, and has been for a couple years.

• Like 1

A lot of this is very subjective, that's why I asked about preferences.

A lot of people are just throwing out suggestions without regard to the OP. Oban 14, for example, is a nice scotch but far from being a celebration dram.

Balvenie 21 Portwood maybe right for you, but I advise you to try it first. I thought the stuff was terrible, even at $160, which is significantly cheaper than usual.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whisky Discovered In 121-Year-Old Time Capsule, But Would You Drink It?

1402945912195120788.jpg

Construction crews in Scotland just discovered a time capsule from 1894 containing what they think is a bottle of whisky — leading the literally dozens of time capsules aficionados in the world to ask themselves the obvious question: Would I drink it?
The capsule, a rusted metal box that is clearly showing its age, was found inside a cornerstone in the Ruthven Road bridge just outside of a town called Kingussie. And, of course, the box contains plenty of the things we’ve come to expect from time capsules, like old newspapers and even a paper scroll. But the whisky is obviously the real wild card.
“The changes which have occurred since it was placed there are extraordinary,” Robert Ogg of the construction company working on the bridge told the BBC. “If you think that the bridge was being used by horses back then, it gives you a sense of the time which has passed.”

Unlike some wines, whisky doesn’t improve with age once it’s been bottled. The ageing process of, say, an 18-year-old Glenlivet scotch refers to the number of years that the delicious brown liquid spent in the barrel before it was bottled — not the number of years it’s been sitting around in glass.

Even if the whisky is drinkable, which it very well could be in the broadest sense of the term, there’s no way to tell for sure whether it will taste very good. In 2007, three bottles of whisky dating to Ernest Shackleton’s failed 1907 expedition to the South Pole were discovered in the Antarctic. Shackleton’s team had abandoned them at Cape Royds in Antarctica but the bottles were returned to Scotland in 2007 for examination and even a taste test. Scientists sampled the whisky and even tried to recreate it — a reportedly more peaty and smoky flavour than your average Scotch.

This more recent time capsule and its contents have been donated to the local Highland Folk Museum, but there’s no word on whether anyone will get to sample the alcohol. In this case, I have to admit that I’d drink the hell out of that bridge-whisky. Highland Folk Museum, just give me a call if you need a taste tester.

Balvenie 21 Portwood............so far above all the rest,the best single malt I have ever tasted.

I have been chasing the ultimate dram for 25 years,this is it.

In a league by itself.......................

Couldn't have described it better