Need help with my next scotch purchase

Lant63

So I am looking to buy a special bottle in the next month or so for a couple different reasons. These include starting PA school and helping to lead my fraternity off probabtion and runner up as chapter of the year. I originally thought about getting a bottle of Dom Perignon. But, I have decided that a bottle of veuve clicquot and a bottle of scotch to cherish, and drink, would be a better option. I'm working with a budget of right around $200 usd, and duty free is not necessarily out of the question as I am about 5 minutes from Canada. I am also not against getting multiple bottles that equal $200 but I do want something very special and if it costs that much, so be it. I do have a slight bias already and I am leaning towards glenmorangie singet. But, I am open to all suggestions.

What I like: Glenlivet 12, 15, and I have a bottle of 18 I am about to open. Balvanie 12 triple wood I think is really good. Glenmorangie original is outstanding as well as the nectar d'or.

I have a bottle of bowmore golden reef I haven't tried yet either. I will report back on that too. Glenlivet 16 naddura was a little much for me, but it's been a while since I had it.

What I don't like: glenfiddich 18, all Johnnie walker.

Thanks guys, can't wait to get some input!

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

I like my Islay whiskies such as Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16 or Laphroaig 10, but these are known for their peat and distinct flavours. It sounds like your palate is more inclined to Speyside whiskies judging by your admiration of Glenlivet and Balvenie. Personally, I would love to get my hands on a Balvenie 21 Year Old Portwood Finish bottle, otherwise you can't go much wrong with Macallan, Benromach or Abelour.

The suggestions would really depend on your taste preferences.

I will warn you that Glenmorangie Signet is quite different from most Glenmorangies.

If you like Balvenie 12, you like a nice sherried scotch. Might I suggest:

Glendronach 21 Parliament (about usd130)

Glengoyne 21 (about usd140)

Glenfarclas 25 (about usd160)

I don't want to suggest something too smoky or peaty in case you don't like that. If you know you do, then:

Talisker 18 (about usd130)

Highland Park 18 (about usd120)

Springbank 18 (about usd160)

It sounds like cask strength is not your thing, so I refrained from suggesting anything cask strength.

If you give us more information, I could come up with more targeted advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I agree, the Glengoyne 21 or Glenfarclas 25 would be a great special occasion treat.

Or to online to the whisky exchange and buy a bottle of their uniquely bottled Glenfarclas 15 YO 103 proof - and take the engraving option - and have it engraved specially!

Balvenie 21 Portwood............so far above all the rest,the best single malt I have ever tasted.

I have been chasing the ultimate dram for 25 years,this is it.

In a league by itself.......................

• Like 3

What didn't you like about the fiddich 18?

It was to charcaol-esque. However it is growing on me, it's just not what I prefer.

Thanks though!

-Stogie Boy

The suggestions would really depend on your taste preferences.

I will warn you that Glenmorangie Signet is quite different from most Glenmorangies.

If you like Balvenie 12, you like a nice sherried scotch. Might I suggest:

Glendronach 21 Parliament (about usd130)

Glengoyne 21 (about usd140)

Glenfarclas 25 (about usd160)

I don't want to suggest something too smoky or peaty in case you don't like that. If you know you do, then:

Talisker 18 (about usd130)

Highland Park 18 (about usd120)

Springbank 18 (about usd160)

It sounds like cask strength is not your thing, so I refrained from suggesting anything cask strength.

If you give us more information, I could come up with more targeted advice.

Wow thanks a lot! Great advice I'll have to comb through. If I did decide to go with a cask strength what would you recomend?

-Stogie Boy

I would put K&L's Glenfarclas bottling on the list for certain. I would also mention Glendronach single casks, but generally not available in the US.

Springbank single cask, if you like Springbank.

Macallan cask strength if you can find it.

Can't be any help re the scotch, but as for sparkling wine - if you can find it, my personal go to would be a bottle of Erpacrife sparkling nebbiolo rosé - around U.S. $60, give or take. Again, my personal choice over either of the sparklers mentioned.

Balvenie 21 Portwood............so far above all the rest,the best single malt I have ever tasted.

I have been chasing the ultimate dram for 25 years,this is it.

In a league by itself.......................

As they say, tastes differ... He should try that one first before he plunks down that much dough on a chill-filtered, coloring added, 43% ABV single malt.

The Glendronach 15 revival can't be beaten dollar for dollar and it's going into hibernation for a few years.

Made up of 18/19 year scotches.

But you need to be into sherried scotch.

Excellent stuff!

Not made up of 18/19 YO scotch - if that was the case, why put it in hibernation. The days where they dumped old casks into younger releases just to get rid of them are about 15 years ago.

Not made up of 18/19 YO scotch - if that was the case, why put it in hibernation. The days where they dumped old casks into younger releases just to get rid of them are about 15 years ago.

My understanding, from all accounts, because the distillery was closed (and producing no distillate) from the period that would make it a 15yo whisky - they are in fact using distillate that was made from just before closing their doors. Therefore, it must be at least 18 / 19 yo.

The owners have recently said that it is in fact about to be 'temporarily discontinued' due to diminishing supply. It is anticpated to be coming back once the stock they have maturing reaches 15yo - which makes it a few years away. I'd be surprised if it has the exact same taste and profile of the current stock due simply to the fact it would in fact be younger.

My understanding, from all accounts, because the distillery was closed (and producing no distillate) from the period that would make it a 15yo whisky - they are in fact using distillate that was made from just before closing their doors. Therefore, it must be at least 18 / 19 yo.

The owners have recently said that it is in fact about to be 'temporarily discontinued' due to diminishing supply. It is anticpated to be coming back once the stock they have maturing reaches 15yo - which makes it a few years away. I'd be surprised if it has the exact same taste and profile of the current stock due simply to the fact it would in fact be younger.

I think you are correct, sir.

As they say, tastes differ... He should try that one first before he plunks down that much dough on a chill-filtered, coloring added, 43% ABV single malt.

I always heard that Balvenie does not chill filter any of their products.

Heard it was scheduled for comeback in 2018-19. Still bottles around though, and a good price for a very tasty dram.

Heard it was scheduled for comeback in 2018-19. Still bottles around though, and a good price for a very tasty dram.

I've been buying a bottle here and there to tide me over... It is great value considering it's maturity, ABV, and flavour. Great stuff!

I always heard that Balvenie does not chill filter any of their products.

Duty-free version is higher ABV and non-chill-filtered.

Regular version was 43% ABV, now 40% ABV and chill-filtered.

Awesome value. :rolleyes:

Duty-free version is higher ABV and non-chill-filtered.

Regular version was 43% ABV, now 40% ABV and chill-filtered.

Awesome value. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling I may end up making this a duty free purchase.... but what I saw they only had balvenie 12 triple wood, 15 double and 15 triple. The 15 triple was only a fifth though.

-Stogie Boy

So how Peaty is is ardbeg perpetuum?

-Stogie Boy

It's Ardbeg. If you don't like peat, you won't like any of their bottles. I bought it as a collector, but to drink for a celebration....not for me.

Flame me all you like but I know what I'm talking about.

Just letting you in on a bargain ...

They were not even distilling 15 years ago.. So how do they have an age statement 15 years made up of less than 15 year old whiskies?

It's a class distillery and could have changed much more for this fine scotch