Did I really just snag a box of 14 yr old Cuaba Exclusivos?!?

Hello all. First off, purchased from reputable vendor.

Some I guess more than anything I want confirmation that the lable is genuine for the time period (don't have a black light to check for mark but otherwise it looks period correct.) I can't verify SN because the box pre-dates the current bar codes, but that that reflect time period as well?

Also, is the factory stamp legit? Never seen a backwards 3 before.

And finally, what are the odds these will be tent poles?

Thanks for any help.

~ Justin

post-21453-0-38339900-1426736086_thumb.j

post-21453-0-42756500-1426736103_thumb.j

Open them up and post a photo Justin.

You should be able to tell from the roll (gently feel for hard or soft spots) and weight in the hand if they are overfilled or underfilled.

If the vendor is reputable you should be sweet. I have seen plenty of box code anomalies in my time but not that one (not that I can recall). There are Cuaba lovers on the forum who may or may not have the same code.

Cuaba is a notoriously slow seller so aged stock around the world is readily available. Let us know how they smoke once they have settled down.

Before querying the forum, it is always a good idea to introduce yourself. Some people like to get the measure of a man, so to speak, before answering his queries.

My apologies, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and never made it around to the intro thread. I'll write something up in the morning when I'm on break at work.

I can understand where the would be potential concern, what with semi-recent drama over on other forums.

~ Justin

You should be able to tell from the roll (gently feel for hard or soft spots) and weight in the hand if they are overfilled or underfilled.

If the vendor is reputable you should be sweet. I have seen plenty of box code anomalies in my time but not that one (not that I can recall). There are Cuaba lovers on the forum who may or may not have the same code.

Cuaba is a notoriously slow seller so aged stock around the world is readily available. Let us know how they smoke once they have settled down.

I'll put some more pics up in the morning before I head into the office. Having experience with the vendor, I'm more shocked about my good fortune (or possibly misfortune). I suppose other than letting them rest a bit from their journey I don't have to worry about aging them!

~ Justin

Also, is the factory stamp legit? Never seen a backwards 3 before.

I have seen plenty of box code anomalies in my time but not that one (not that I can recall).

I had a box of Partagas Piramides from December 2000 with the factory code ECA. The E in that factory code was a backwards 3. There were lots of them around. 100% legit boxes. It's a near enough time frame. Looks like somebody misplaced the E around the box stamping machine and improvised with an upside-down 3.

my thoughts would be that no one, at least no one sane, is ever going to fake a cuaba.

Those would be my thoughts too!

There are quite a few Cuabas, legit boxes, from that era knocking around Europe.

My apologies, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and never made it around to the intro thread. I'll write something up in the morning when I'm on break at work.

~ Justin

Looking forward to it.

Wilkey

my thoughts would be that no one, at least no one sane, is ever going to fake a cuaba.

Funny you mention that Ken.

Was in Freeport Grand Bahamas a dozen years or so back. Popped in to a cigar store in Port Lucaya.

Pretty large stock of a limited variety of marcas/vitolas, including the Cuaba Churchill.

While checking out the serial numbers on the warranty seals of the 6' stack of Esplendidos I observed they were all the same one.

Needless to say, no cigars were purchased that day.....

True. The shop was fairly crowded so I'm sure plenty of the cruise crowd picked up some 'Cubans'.

As requested, more pics.

Only a couple that felt overfilled. A few more with minor hard spots that will probably loosen up once they get lit and going. But I am concerned... The overall length and RG varies throughout the box.

My thinking in buying this box was that, though a "budget" marca was that the vitola is one usually rolled by higher level torceadors.... So perhaps lesser quality tobacco but better quality construction. First impressions are saying my thinking was FUBAR, but I'll reserve judgement until I can smoke through a few of them.

post-21453-0-78285400-1426820726_thumb.j

post-21453-0-48645300-1426820749_thumb.j