Under the Radar .....recent tasting shoutouts

Let us know of any "Under the Radar" cigars of which you have had recently that you believe deserve a "shout out".

I think we should define "Under the Radar" as a cigar that does not receive much attention on the boards or Cigar magazines. Perhaps even one that has received some negative attention in the past decade.

On the weekend I had the opportunity to smoke through three Juan Lopez Petit Corona (likely 2013) from the home humidor. My home humidor has mostly singles and they are predominantly seconds.

Now I will be honest, I only chose the Juan Lopez PC because I was out of Bolivar Petit Corona and R&J Petit Corona (my first choices). The Juan Lopez PC looked at me and I took it outside with my laptop and glass of wine.

The fact that I smoked three of them over the weekend speaks of how much I enjoyed them.

They were fuller than I recalled (medium-medium full) and in the smoking provided a mix in flavour profile between the Upmann Petit Corona (which I love) and the long gone Diplomatico number 4.

There was a rich mouthfeel, flawless construction and a lovely intensity. The flavours (coffee, toasted tobacco, long dry grass stalks, cream, edges of savoury spice ) were delivered consistently.

Thoroughly enjoyable and I nubbed all three.

So a shout out for the Juan Lopez Petit Corona ok.gif

Last night Rob (Acidmase) here on the forum and I smoked a Siglo III which was good but then I broke out my Juan Lopez PC's from 2012 and holy they were amazing. Rob and I were amazed how much better they were compared to the Cohiba. Definitely an under the radar cigar!

• Like 1

Let us know of any "Under the Radar" cigars of which you have had recently that you believe deserve a "shout out".

I think we should define "Under the Radar" as a cigar that does not receive much attention on the boards or Cigar magazines. Perhaps even one that has received some negative attention in the past decade.

On the weekend I had the opportunity to smoke through three Juan Lopez Petit Corona (likely 2013) from the home humidor. My home humidor has mostly singles and they are predominantly seconds.

Now I will be honest, I only chose the Juan Lopez PC because I was out of Bolivar Petit Corona and R&J Petit Corona (my first choices). The Juan Lopez PC looked at me and I took it outside with my laptop and glass of wine.

The fact that I smoked three of them over the weekend speaks of how much I enjoyed them.

They were fuller than I recalled (medium-medium full) and in the smoking provided a mix in flavour profile between the Upmann Petit Corona (which I love) and the long gone Diplomatico number 4.

There was a rich mouthfeel, flawless construction and a lovely intensity. The flavours (coffee, toasted tobacco, long dry grass stalks, cream, edges of savoury spice ) were delivered consistently.

Thoroughly enjoyable and I nubbed all three.

So a shout out for the Juan Lopez Petit Corona ok.gif

Funny that you bring this up Rob because this is exactly what I was thinking last night. Good stuff!

• Like 1

Big love for the JLPC, I always wondered why they they don't get a bigger following. I bought a box just over a year ago and smoked the first 10 in a matter of weeks. Flavour reminded me of young JL2 mixed with the SLR stonefruit profile. The rest went down to age and smoke over the next few years. It must be time to dig those out and see how they are progressing.

If I had to pick another which falls under the radar it would have to go to another PC, namely the Rafael Gonzalez. Beautiful light coffee profile but with bags of flavour. Similar to, but much more complimentary to my palate than the monte 4.

Thinking about it I love all the PC's coming from Cuba, they rarely dissapoint on flavour. My only gripe is that they are over too quickly. If they were only an inch or two longer I'd be much more content.

Agree 100% on RG PC AND wishing all PC were an inch or so longer.

-Dan

They had cigars like this. They were called Coronas and Lonsdales.pod.gif

Seriously though - I've always thought that you get the best of the Marca by trying out their PC (if they have one), and I've rarely been disproven. Glad to see some JLPC love out there, Rob! A criminally underrated cigar!

• Like 1

I agree that the Juan Lopez and the R.Gonzales,as well as the Sancho Panza petit coronas have been excellent for a couple of years.

I have handed out many of each, unbanded, to friends at herfs and so on,generally they are well received.

The surprise comes when I hand over the bands.

My biggest surprise recently has been a 5 er of St Luis Rey "A" that I traded for.

Jun '14, they were much fuller and rich than I have ever tasted a SLR,and more like I remember Cubans from the late '90s.

Have not found any more......MOE JUN '14

Trinidad Ingenios LE. lookaround.gifhole.gif

I bought a box in 2010. They were bland in 2011, boring in 2012, uninspiring in 2013, and suddenly last year they became delicious!

I wish I had an other box. The Ingenios is one of the rare EL that benefited from aging. Very surprising.

• Like 1

Since I'm greedy and it's easy to find boxes with a couple of years on them, I really don't want to agree with everyone who has mentioned the Rafael Gonzalez PC because it might cause a run.pig.gif

• Like 1

RGPC and boli corona Jr. Everyone talks about the boli PC's, but I feel like the corona Jr's get such little love. They're packed with flavor and my late '12 box of them are so delicious right now.

I also love me some cuaba divinos. Although their quality hasn't been on point much.

Not had the RG PC but I love the RG Panatelas Extra. A few construction issues but flavourwise never disappoints. The other recent surprise for me have been JLP Petit Cazadores. Love the flavour profile and no construction issues, which was a pleasant surprise given the price point.

keith I am intrigued!

Let me know what you are enjoying in them

Everything that others haven't been enjoying with these for years, I personally think I've been maybe tasting in wait-for-it qualities. Also personally, I think they're still not there, and might need at least another 2 to 3 years (maybe even 5).

I bought a box in 2010. They were bland in 2011, boring in 2012, uninspiring in 2013, and suddenly last year they became delicious!

I wish I had an other box. The Ingenios is one of the rare EL that benefited from aging. Very surprising.

Exactly.

I actually started sourcing out a couple more boxes in mid- and late-last year. I found that sometime over fall/winter 2013-2014, they started to show that deliciousness.

Up to now, they've just been bold little powerhouses - pepper bombs, way too heavily balanced. Everything that a Trinidad is, these haven't been!!!! LOL. Rich cedar, HEAVY black and white pepper, some dark chocolate around the edges. Some spices. Hell, even with this, I thought they were intriguing and interesting when they first came out, and loaded up on them at the get-go (similar to the Cuaba Piramides EL 2008). These Ingenios' though, I'll definitely attest to some major burn issues out of one particular box / box code.

But, at the end of 2013/early 2014, they just started to open. Looking at my tasting notes - flavours of rich nuts, caramel, creme brulee, some gingerbread and spiced black-pepper-roasted-eggplant almost (a nice tangy, vegetal savoury-ness). Still a kick in the pants, strength-wise, but starting to balance out.

One box still needs another two or three years maybe (Dic 2007 "SOA"), but the ones I got into last year were quite nice.

Definitely not "Trinidad-esque", per say, but still a great format and some great flavours developing.