Canadian Dollar

Anyone else feeling the squeeze of the Canadian dollar compared to the greenback? Curious if it is affecting any other Canadian's travel plans or 'purchases'.........or are others just plowing though even with the discrepancy. I know looking to travel to Cuba the CUC or peso or whatever currency they are working with right now is on par with the US dollar and that hurts as well. When it costs 4 or 5 hundred bucks to purchase some US currency its a little eye-raising.

Cheers,

JD

Actually - it hasn't really at all. Never did too much buying overseas until the latter part of 2014 - so I 'missed' out.

The other way to look at it is I am already use to the prices at where they are at :-) They have creeped up over the last 5-6 months though slowly.

The Aussie dollar is the same - down 20% in the last year.

When the average box of cigars is $200usd - that's a big chunk of change if buying a box or two every month

Nothing new guys so you should have not been surprise and be prepared for it. Par is gravy but the normal exchange rate is where we are at. Better than the 60% to the US dollar that we had a few years back. I miss the exchange rate of last year but feel that it'll be a while before we see it. Going to get worse in this regards than better.

I've been avoiding FoH because my heart breaks every time I do the currency conversion.

I will remain ignorantly optimistic for a bounce back to near-par but I'm not holding my breath...

I've been avoiding FoH because my heart breaks every time I do the currency conversion.

I will remain ignorantly optimistic for a bounce back to near-par but I'm not holding my breath...

My thoughts exactly!!

Was in Montreal. Might as well have been free.

How? Aren't taxes like 15%? And the city mad expensive?

Around the year 2002 I sold antique silver on eBay. We made 45% on the U.S. dollar. It was on top of our profit margin.

Then a while later it was around par for a long time.

I guess we have to go with the flow and if you are spending $200 on a box of cigars, $10-30 is part of the ride. Besides, in Canada, the box is three times that much?

That Canadian interest cut certainly impacted the Canadian dollar yesterday but there was also some US home construction data which saw more interest in USD. Watch this space however as a ECB stimulus package announcement is expected later today which will impact all the major currencies.

For those of us Americans who travel north a lot, the good old days are back. Well, except we don't get GST rebated anymore, but oh well.

Also great for Canadian residents who are employed by US companies (paid in US dollars). It's like a free 20% pay increase for a lot of my friends in the hockey industry.