just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

for those offshore, it has been a stinking hot summer. aussies flock to the beaches over summer but at the moment, i'm not so sure.

up north we have various fun with box jellyfish and the tiny but near instant killer, irukandji jellyfish. only difference is that the box jellyfish is larger and may take a minute or two longer to kill you.

crocs are prevalent and always looking for an unwary tourist or fisherman.

further south, at the gold coast, we have a few jellyfish. as per the photo.

post-9-0-15209900-1421386437_thumb.jpg

and a bit further south again, a 5 metre great white has been hovering around newcastle. puts you off swimming.

good luck!

• Like 1

I saw the pic of the dolphin with the chunk taken out of it. It's very confronting.

Nature can be very cruel but that's how it goes I guess.

A bit off topic, but wansn't there a triatholon off Bondi Beach that was cancelled when a majority of the swimmers ended up in a huge spread of man-o-war jellyfish?

I thought Dolphin were much faster and able to elude sharks? Guess this is an exception.

i suspect that they are more agile and possibly faster in short distances but a big great white can get up a serious speed. also, they tend to feed by ambush. they do say that the great white you can see is not the one to worry about. i know tigers (as in tiger sharks) hunt dolphin and a big great white would be faster than a tiger.

By the location of the bite am skeptical of this picture.

Ken do you know in fact the picture is genuine? Thanks, David

i've not heard anything to suggest otherwise. wondered about the bite but it could be that the dolphin saw the shark at the last moment and turned away to try and escape.

from the stories we are hearing, i doubt that the one in the photo is the "big" one.

there is no doubt that there has been a monster great white hanging around in the region for at least a week. a few days ago, there was a picture of what was left of a dolphin washed up on rocks in the region. the bottom half had been bitten away. so the shark is obviously feeding on the local dolphin.

i found it on the website of one of our leading and more respected papers. they might have been conned but they tend to be careful about these things.

my thoughts is that it is real but who knows.this is the link to today's report in that paper as they are still there. worth watching the video. it is a seriously big fish.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/newcastles-beaches-closed-all-weekend-but-a-dolphin-pod-pays-a-visit-20150116-12s9b4.html

Newcastle's beaches closed all weekend but a dolphin pod pays a visit
Date January 17, 2015 - 9:01AM
  • 434 reading now
  • Read later
1408400812073.png
Lucy Cormack Reporter

Newcastle's beaches will remain closed this weekend, but a few surprise guests on Saturday morning left lifeguards with a smile.

"We're starting to see a few dolphins back in the area," said Newcastle beach inspector Scott Hammerton, on a record eighth-day of beach closures in the area.

Several massive sharks were seen feeding on dolphins off two of Newcastle's beaches on Thursday, one, nicknamed Bruce, reported as a five-metre, 1700-kilogram great white shark, the other "as big as a car".

How do the Newcastle sharks measure up?

One of the sharks spotted off the coast of Newcastle is said to be 'as big as a car' but how does it compare to some of the biggest Great Whites seen around the world?

Shortly before 4pm on Thursday a shark attacked a dolphin a short distance from the shoreline at Nobbys Beach.

In the last few days lifeguards had only reported seeing about two dolphins in the area, but on Saturday morning it seemed a few more were ready to come out and play

"Right now I'm watching a pod go past with about 20 dolphins," said Mr Hammerton, "it's nice having them back in the area."

1421455052170.jpg

Newcastle's beaches, including Noddys (above), will be closed for a record eighth days. Photo: Darren Pateman

"Newcastle is known for having a huge dolphin population, often we have huge pods just hanging at the beach all day,"

A number of surfers and swimmers are still entering the water at their own risk, unable to fight the temptation of promising surf conditions.

But Mr Hammerton said anyone entering the water is still taking a big risk.

"Yesterday the shark was still sighted from above from a helicopter at Burwood Beach, travelling north. It would have been up to 400m from the shore at the most."

In the last few days lifeguards at Newcastle Beach have had to do three rescues despite the beach closure.

"People are jumping straight into rips, which has been a bit challenging, others are trying to hide from us to go and swim," Mr Hammerton said.

By the location of the bite am skeptical of this picture.

Ken do you know in fact the picture is genuine? Thanks, David

I was thinking the same thing, so last night I decided to dig a little deeper

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/monster-sharks-brutal-attack-on-dolphin-at-newcastles-burwood-beach/story-fni0cx12-1227186199991

Seems as if it is indeed genuine.

I saw this yesterday and thought of it again when I saw this thread. Just another day in Australia I guess. I don't think I will ever dangle my feet in the water again.

I saw this yesterday and thought of it again when I saw this thread. Just another day in Australia I guess. I don't think I will ever dangle my feet in the water again.

used to live on the coast. you'd often hear of people going missing. always put down to drowning while swimming. i used to suggest that a lot of them were shark victims but it was always dismissed.

a mate runs/ran the shark netting program in queensland. he always said that at least a third of the sharks they caught were netted on the beach side. he does not go in the water (other than to fish, of course).

i thought that video was going to show the bloke being an idiot but really, not doing anything we all have not done or something similar. a very very lucky bloke. hard to tell but it looked like a tiger. i really hate them. would rather be in the water with a great white but i suppose the end result the same.