Por Larranaga Picadores - Video Review (ULE JUN 14)

Ferrero

Thanks for that Greg party.gif

I would love to hear members thoughts (those that have smoked them) on the Por Larranaga Picadores.

The now 8 that I have smoked have shown potential (I do dislike that word), but to me they are way too young, sometimes harsh, "closed" in relation to flavour depth or nuances. I do experience the underlying PL caramel sweetness but even here it is "thin". More whisps than a profile. Still believe a cigar for 5 years down.

Your thoughts? thinking.gif

• Like 4

I would love to hear members thoughts (those that have smoked them) on the Por Larranaga Picadores.

The now 8 that I have smoked have shown potential (I do dislike that word), but to me they are way too young, sometimes harsh, "closed" in relation to flavour depth or nuances. I do experience the underlying PL caramel sweetness but even here it is "thin". More whisps than a profile. Still believe a cigar for 5 years down.

My thoughts exactly Rob. Posted a review up in here a couple of weeks back and came to the same conclusion.

• Like 1

Not going to knock the PLPC off it's throne I think. Which is a shame as PL has had some absolute stunner REs.

A blend the same as the Italy small robusto would have been a showstopper.

With the legendarios, Asia pacific robusto, uk PLs, German lonsdales etc it just seems a shame that this is what nearly a decade of the RE programme's Por Larranaga success and failures has resulted in.

Nice review gents, thanks for posting. Sad to see the blend is not up to par with the PC or other successful releases. Hopefully the Picadores age beautifully. Might commit to a box or two for a five year sleep in the cooler but not more based on this review. Thanks for the honesty guys.

My thoughts exactly. The PL robusto is much better at the moment, but the picadores could develop into those in less time. The robusto is much richer, fuller, and smoother.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

Thanks for the review guys. Just picked up a box the day before. I looking to trying them. If they do come out smoking like most of you are saying, I'll have to lay them down. Looking on the bright side I order something else that is smoking good now

I fail to see how these are a "good" price point. There are an unproven cigar with a new band. They are more expensive than all other existing Hermoso #4s and robustos. If something is new and has a PL band on it, it automatically gets labeled as a cigar with "potential."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I fail to see how these are a "good" price point. There are an unproven cigar with a new band. They are more expensive than all other existing Hermoso #4s and robustos. If something is new and has a PL band on it, it automatically gets labeled as a cigar with "potential."

Agreed. The couple I had were pretty good but why on earth would I spend ~$50 more for these than any other regular production Hermoso #4 or Robusto (CoRo excluded)?

. If something is new and has a PL band on it, it automatically gets labeled as a cigar with "potential."

Por larranaga Regional Robusto is one that was labelled as having potential/sleeper when released. Fulfilled its promise.

Por larranaga Encantos. Again labelled as having real potential upon release with 5 years sleep needed. 3 years in and fulfilling it's promise.

Not sure if there are any "ready to go " Por larranaga out there excluding the Petit Corona and only if you enjoy the mongrel they possess young. They certainly transform at the 5 year mark (or thereabouts).

• Like 1

Por larranaga Regional Robusto is one that was labelled as having potential/sleeper when released. Fulfilled its promise.

Por larranaga Encantos. Again labelled as having real potential upon release with 5 years sleep needed. 3 years in and fulfilling it's promise.

Not sure if there are any "ready to go " Por larranaga out there excluding the Petit Corona and only if you enjoy the mongrel they possess young. They certainly transform at the 5 year mark (or thereabouts).

agreed.

So they're good in 5 years - they will still have cost 20% more than other Hermosos #4 stir.gif

Not a dig on you, Prez - just on the HSA pricing policy for any new releases.

I've only smoked two. The caramel was heavy in mine, more of it than I've had in my PLPCs which surprised me. I agree with the statement that they are "harsh". There was a clean tobacco taste reminiscent of a young Upmann in mine. I agree that it is a waste to smoke them now. I can wait 5 years for them to get the rich flavor I expect they'll have.

• Like 1