Opinion on HdM Especial vs Epicure 2?

I have smoked both the HdM Especial and the Epicure 2 while on vacation in Cuba. I realise the Especial is supposed to be the upscale Epi 2 but the last Epi 2 I Smoked in May was quite excellent. They have been smoked far enough apart time wise and with difference between batch quality I am uncertian which is the best buy. Based on recent batches what would be the best buy? Has anyone compared these two very similar cigars recently? What is the general recomendation?

Regards,

Doug

My cab of Especial's keep needing more rest every time I test them. Seem very promising though.

My cabs of Epi 2's are always ready to go ROTT. I will continue to stock both in the humi, but will favor the Epi 2.

Never had an Especial that was better than mediocre - but had lots of outstanding Epi 2.

Same here, Esp seems a bit thin blendwise, at least in direct comparison.

Epi 2 are classic and although this was not your question,

Epicure 1, although virtually milder than #2,

are a complex and classy delight too.

Cheers, Alex

For me it has been ht & miss with epi 2, sometimes greatness, sometimes o god whyyyyyyy!, I only have a 50 cab of the special ( yeah I got excited about them) and wow, all the cab has been incredible, but haven't had more reference than some tubos that also where great,

I strongly prefer the epi 2's which can be outstanding. agree with a prior comment that the especial never seem to be better than just ok. have lots of both so maybe the especial's will catch up.

I have always loved Epicure No.2's and I must say the box I had earlier on in the year were all fantastic.

I had a few EE cabs from 08 that have been decent but overall for me the Epi 2's are much more consistent and has always been a go to cigar for me over the last 8 years. Have had more then my share of so so EE's over the years.

Have had both from 50cabs and on the long run, the only HdM I'll be going for is the DC. Both Especial and Epicure don't seem to do much for me it seems...

The Hoyo DC is a class of its own, but it's not a cigar for everyone and I'd even say it's a "difficult" cigar, as many conditions must be met to be able to appreciate its unique qualities: time, clean tastebuds, no strong liquor, ability to focus on a mild cigar, etc.

• Like 1

The Hoyo DC is a class of its own, but it's not a cigar for everyone and I'd even say it's a "difficult" cigar, as many conditions must be met to be able to appreciate its unique qualities: time, clean tastebuds, no strong liquor, ability to focus on a mild cigar, etc.

Agreed. I'll usually have it when I have a lazy morning, between breakfast and lunch. Draw if often quite snug, at least in the beginning. Great flavors and aromas throughout

I'm sorry for OT but I feel like this topic is close enough my concern. I really haven't enjoyed Epi2, but I've liked a lot of Palmas Extras and Petit Robustos. Haven't tried EE. My question being, how likely it's for me to like HdM DCs? Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking your topic.