Chilly in the 'Peg

Ah Winterpeg! Being such a nice town should make up for days like this. Haven't been that way in a while. Should make a point of it... this summer.

When one visits Winnipeg they should tell you when you get off the plane that you need to plug your car in overnight. The sounds our rental car made on startup were truly hilarious until the cute girls at the airport kindly offered to plug our cars in while we were gone!

Have a soft spot for the peg. Saw some great music, went out with some cute girls (who drank Rye!) and had a blast!

I used to travel to the Peg back in my MTS/Allstream days. Truly one of the most godawful places for a Canadian Winter. My hotel was a 5 minute walk to the office. There was so much snow. It was piled 7 feet high on both sides of the street. You couldn't tell where the road met the sidewalks, it was just a padded down layer of hard snow. The winds at Portage and Main? **** that! It deserves its' "Canada's windiest corner" medal. You can feel the skin on your face give way to the flesh below.

On the flip side. I used to go in the latter parts of summer August/Sep and it was pretty nice. I've been lucky in that I'd show up after the Jurassic era mosquitoes had died off. Otherwise, they would have drank me dry.

The funny thing is that the Grey Cup will be here next year. We were fortunate to have above normal weather the last two times the cup was here (1988 and 2006) but everyone still talks about the infamous 1991 Grey Cup, including the infamous frozen beer being thrown at Rocket Ismail as he returned a kick for a touchdown.

Regardless, I does seem early to be this cold already. It's going to be a long winter and I don't have a winter vacation to look forward to this year!

Stay warm my friends!

I used to travel to the Peg back in my MTS/Allstream days. Truly one of the most godawful places for a Canadian Winter. My hotel was a 5 minute walk to the office. There was so much snow. It was piled 7 feet high on both sides of the street. You couldn't tell where the road met the sidewalks, it was just a padded down layer of hard snow. The winds at Portage and Main? **** that! It deserves its' "Canada's windiest corner" medal. You can feel the skin on your face give way to the flesh below.

On the flip side. I used to go in the latter parts of summer August/Sep and it was pretty nice. I've been lucky in that I'd show up after the Jurassic era mosquitoes had died off. Otherwise, they would have drank me dry.

Hey. Is not that bad!!! I love my Winnipeg!!!...OK, not every day :), but most of the time I do!!!! The good thing is that we are closer and closer to spring!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong - I love this town - great people, awesome neighbourhoods, great job.

Every now and then however, mother nature sends a little reminder.

37 below is cold in anyone's language....

frozencar_zps13130bc6.jpg

Looks like the exchange district...Is that close to James Ave. by chance?. I work over there..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do you have to plug your car in overnight?

So it will start the next day. It's a block heater. Batteries and very stiff oil don't like the cold. And some folks don't believe in topping up their antifreeze. And to keep the moose repellent from freezing of course.

Can't wait to visit,

70F in Atlanta today, down to 57 tonight, brrr.........

To keep the moose repellent siren from freezing up. Them's sum danjerus varmits.

So it will start the next day. It's a block heater. Batteries and very stiff oil don't like the cold. And some folks don't believe in topping up their antifreeze. And to keep the moose repellent from freezing of course.

Good to know

I'm 28 and have yet to see real snow and the coldest I've ever seen was 2 degrees below zero in the middle of the desert

I was at the 2006 GC. Rude....just rude. The best thing about Winnipeg is the road to Regina. And that's not saying much.

Mmmm - we should really get back to cigars - but right now I can manage half a Party short outside (balmy 18 below - quite nice actually)

Anyway - I started this thread with the pic of my neighbor's car - which is quite funny when you look at the poor thing, dripping ice - - but I must defend my little town:

- I am an immigrant, and have worked in a few places, visited a whole lot, but there in no place I would rather pursue my career than here. Winnipeg is a hub of medical tech (who knew), and although the Feds shut down the NRC and drove IMRIS to Minnesota, we still have a state of the art intraop MRI suite with all the bells and whistles, and a phenomenal research platform. I have the pleasure of working with some folk who are serious players in my field, and we produce some awesome work.

- I live in the heart of the city - (not too many places in North America you can do that) - right in the "cultural district", with a world class ballet company (Royal Winnipeg Ballet), theatre, opera, even a Gilbert and Sullivan Society! An awesome jazz and contemporary music scene, that launched the likes of Burton Cummings, Randy Bachmann and Neil Young.

- we have a vibrant restaurant and wine scene, and I am in fact attending a "brown bag" (blind) winestasting tonight with the sommeliers in the city (pretty cool gig, some great palates)

- I live in an old warehouse, with soaring ceilings, a walk in vault for my wine and whisky, and can walk to work, even when it is 40 below

- It seems I live right next door to Dmatzkin's workplace!

- we might have the worst team in the CFL, but do have (an up and coming) NHL team (sorry 'bout that Regina!!!) - Go Jets, etc etc!

- so join us for the Grey cup next November - but bring a fleecy sneaky.gif

• Like 1

Just getting over a cold snap here on the island. Was getting down to -4 Celsius overnight! That's right. Had to warm up the car for a few minutes before heading out. What happens when winter really ramps up? I cannot say. Time to switch from double coronas to corona gordas and robustos. Gotta get through this, somehow. Someway.

All kidding aside, Winnipeg is a nice town. Saskatoon too. Lethbridge will always have a place in my heart. Haven't been to either in a long time. Should take the family on a Canada tour one day. Won't haul them on a bus or barely road safe cars though. Ah the good old days. Spent my youth dotting the prairies, BC, Alberta, and Ontario. An old guy told me when I was a kid. Don't waste too much time in someone else's backyard till you've got to know your own. Sage advice.

I sense a road trip coming on...