Aussie Senator says Thank you for Smoking

Very logical argument. Shame not heard by many.

Did you notice all the empty seats in the chamber?

A little embarrassing purely because the room was 99% empty.... unsure.png

Its great someone is raising these issues however to an empty room, I highly doubt anyone will listen and or act in any way. The room was empty because "Someone was having a good time..." ;)

Wow ....staggering stupidity. Merely outweighed by $31 billion in costs and a smoking related death every 28 mins.

I wonder what these costs actually are. It would be interesting to see it broken down.

I don't like cigarette by any means, its an addiction but most cigarettes smokers I know, in fact all, work and go about their daily lives just as everyone else. Even old people who are retired who have smoked a lot have coughing issues but they are not hooked up to oxygen tanks and have intensive health support. Obviously some do but for that kind of out lay in a country with a population the size of Oz..how do they come to that figure?

Do smokers work or earn less than if they didn't smoke?

Do they have high cost ongoing medical treatments because of it, not particularly.

A little embarrassing purely because the room was 99% empty.... unsure.png

Its great someone is raising these issues however to an empty room, I highly doubt anyone will listen and or act in any way. The room was empty because "Someone was having a good time..." wink.png

Aye, they were all out having a smoke shead.gif

• Like 2

I don't even think it's debatable. Smoking cigarettes creates expensive disease managment. Usually (not always) these smokers are not the healthiest in other lifestyle habits as well and are a contributing factor to how much disease and sickness is contracted over time but the carcinogens in the cigarettes are a large contributing factor to a lot of these "pack-a-day" people. If the people or government pay for the care of these people with national healthcare there is no doubt, IMO, that the tax recieved from the tobacco sales pales in comparrison to the money spent on treatment. Even if there is no nationalized healthcare the people end paying a lot of the bill.

If money is the main concern then getting rid of tobacco (cigarette :) ) is the answer not increased sales.

If you listen you'll hear that the health expense is a fraction of the cost of the tax revenues. That's the key point being made I believe.

• Like 2

I hear you but I question that. That is why I put in the IMO. It is really difficult to pin down any specific data based on the fact that there are always other factors to someone's health then whether they smoke or how much they smoke.

It's a tough issue. I am no fan of cigarettes so being lumped in with them because I enjoy a cigar is frustrating. On the other hand it is tempting to cheer anyone who stands up for smokers.

Regarding the costs of disease I believe these are inflated in Australia because anyone who has smoked in their life and is presenting with disease can be reported as having a smoking related condition.

• Like 2

It's a tough issue. I am no fan of cigarettes so being lumped in with them because I enjoy a cigar is frustrating. On the other hand it is tempting to cheer anyone who stands up for smokers.

Regarding the costs of disease I believe these are inflated in Australia because anyone who has smoked in their life and is presenting with disease can be reported as having a smoking related condition.

^This

While I'm not a huge fan of cigarettes I've always looked at it as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

That's what I was trying to figure out, from having a look around the only things I keep coming across are phrases, no figures or even estimated figures broken down.

Even if we look at the cost of living a whole life, heavy smokers tend to die younger so you would think they end up costing the government less in pensions etc

No one is saying smoking is good for you, obviously cigarettes are a poison. I'm just wondering how true the "IT COSTS US TENS OF BILLIONS EVEN IN OZ!" line actually is true

There was an interesting study in the US by the Rand Corporation years ago. They determined that the costs of disease management for cigarette smokers was pretty much offset by their higher mortality rate. Smokers weren't as expensive to provide Social Security (basically government paid retirement pensions for the non US readers) or senior healthcare for since they didn't live as long as non smokers.

"the conclusion of the Rand study, that under the most plausible assumptions, smokers more than pay their own way in terms of their contributions to and use of public health programs."

It's an interesting perspective on the social costs of smoking.

I smoke a cigar about once every other day sometimes more. Usually larger rings like 46 to 52. Used to smoke a pack a day ten years ago. I am 45 yrs old. I will race any one of these chubby kids I see slothing around with a 2 litre bottle of pop and a giant bag of nacho chips (talk about a blight on the medical system) in hand up a mountain trail any day of the week. I will even load my pack up and still kick their ass. Anything in moderation. If they want to make a difference teach people how to eat, and exercise, ditch the chemicals that get poured into everything we consume, food tobacco and alcohol included. This will never happen by the way, very bad for business. No money in healthy people.

My kids don't see me smoke and they probably never will. Why should they. I try my best to feed them right and make sure we all get outside and exercise. I want my kids growing up caring about their future. And what they can do to make it what they want it to be. That's just common sense, something that's been ripped out of our hands over the past few decades. Common sense just doesn't make sense these days.

I think a lot of politicians think the way this guy does. They just don't have the balls to say it in case it effects re-elections. If a pro smoking lobby gained momentum these guys and gals would riding the band wagon front row center. But there is no money in it ...yet. These days eating food and smoking and drinking are all unhealthy, but IMO I think the choice should be ours.

All I want is smoking sections back, you don't have to watch me. Just f#ck off and leave me alone.

Australia as a nation is sliding off a cliff. Guys like this could save it.

Yup guys like this........ who have been bought by big tobacco - http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/phillip-morris-donated-to-liberal-democrat-senator-david-leyonhjelm-20141001-10oux4.html

rotfl.gif

Comments like the above (whether tongue in cheek or not) are a classic example of the bias society has towards tobacco

Any other big business in this country is free to donate to any political party without the media batting an eye lid, but as soon as a tobacco company get out their check book, people are accused of "being bought"

• Like 1