boxes codes for Montie 4

Bought a box of ten blind.. i dont usually buy Monty 4's and havent for years because here are so many other more consistent smokes.

What came in last week i havent tried yet but by Golly they look and smell fantastic.Chocolate sticks slight smell of vanilla mixed in and some barnyard.

All rolled beautifully with great dark, oily wrappers.

Box code AUB AGO 13

I love Monte 4 best around the 2 years mark. Feb 14 is way to fresh. Wait with it a year and revisit. You will be surprised. Then wait another one the you have great smokes.

Btw I have Upmann magnum 50 BUM ENE 14. Psp. Nothing else. Brilliant.

All in all a cigar (good or bad) does not depending on a single box code stamped on the box. It is said that one box of cigar could be filled by 25 different rollers...so...

Very interesting. You are the only one that has suggested they may be too young. Everyone else said they were rolled without seco leaf or just got a dud box. I literally get no flavour from these things other than salt and assumed 2 years would do nothing for them.

I have 10 left and was going to bin them. In the name of science, I will tupperdore them for 2 years and reply here on 1/10/2016 :P

Very interesting. You are the only one that has suggested they may be too young. Everyone else said they were rolled without seco leaf or just got a dud box. I literally get no flavour from these things other than salt and assumed 2 years would do nothing for them.

I have 10 left and was going to bin them. In the name of science, I will tupperdore them for 2 years and reply here on 1/10/2016 :P

For me it is too young. I can guarantee that. Nothing else. However I felt nothing when I smoked my first out of a 12 mar box. After a year I had some hopes. After2 yrs became my best ever Monte 4 box in my life. Great cuz only 2 sticks were out. I only say nothing is impossible. No one knows how were they rolled and such... and the box code itself won't make it good or bad cigar. I would definitely put them awayand experiement. That is the fun of it

I have 10 left and was going to bin them. In the name of science, I will tupperdore them for 2 years and reply here on 1/10/2016 tongue.png

"No seco" doesn't make sense.

You also said that you started smoking 4 months ago, that you were smoking 2 to 6 cigars a day, that you don't retrohale (thus don't use your olfactory system), and that you had the same problem with other cigars (RASS and Cohiba Maduro).

Before you bin cigars you might question your way to consume them, IMHO.

• Like 1

"No seco" doesn't make sense.

You also said that you started smoking 4 months ago, that you were smoking 2 to 6 cigars a day, that you don't retrohale (thus don't use your olfactory system), and that you had the same problem with other cigars (RASS and Cohiba Maduro).

Before you bin cigars you might question your way to consume them, IMHO.

As much as it pains me to do so Smallclub, I'm gonna have to agree with you :)

I think the number of cigars smoked per day coupled with not retrohaling could definitely stunt ones perception of any cigar

I tend to forget about this cuz its so obviously need to. Think about a flu. You did not do anything with your tongue. But you have stuffy nose. Eat something and you will taste nothing or 80-90% less than usual. Just because of your nose, yes your olfactory system. When I have stuffy nose I can only separate the main sweet sour salty bitter tastes but no details no nuances at all. Just like right now. Suffering due to flue. Yesterday I tried bbq sauce ketchup and many others to experiement. Guess what. I sad bbq is slightly sweeter than ketchup but no other difference. If I was healthy I would taste them totally different.

Hate to be sick but when it happens good to experiement with.

Thanks guys.

Just a few points.

Where did I say I don't retrohale? I believe I said, "I just retrohaled an entire monte".

I retro every draw pretty much.

I know now in hindsight that it is not me. My RASS and Cohibas taste great, well most of them. One was plugged and had a rass that had no flavour till the last few draws. But anyway, my palate is fine, I;m not sick and these montes have no taste.

As for the no "seco" comment, the exact sentence was, "You are smoking cigars that were rolled without seco. It happened to many 2014 boxes.".

No idea if true or not but this guy has over 3000 posts here and seems to know his stuff.

As for the no "seco" comment, the exact sentence was, "You are smoking cigars that were rolled without seco. It happened to many 2014 boxes.".

No idea if true or not but this guy has over 3000 posts here and seems to know his stuff.

Half an hour ago it was "Everyone else said they were rolled without seco leaf", now it's one guy...

I'm not looking for an argument but the post count of any member is not a proof of expertise, and again I don't buy that "no seco" hypothesis; bad, poor seco maybe, or not enough ligero.

Shortages of ligero leaves happen regularly in Cuba, but I've never heard of a shortage of seco.

"Half an hour ago it was "Everyone else said they were rolled without seco leaf", now it's one guy..."

No, it was one guy who mentioned it in a pm, then I quoted him on another forum and others confirmed or agreed.

I'm no expert and don't analyse sticks down to their individual leaves so I have no idea.

All I know is I got a box of unsmokable montes, they are constructed perfectly and if 2 years of ageing will bring some monte flavour, great. If not, i'll go with the no seco or no ligero or whatever theory.

Not looking for an argument, was just pointing out that I was misquoted and there is nothing wrong with my palate or smoking style.

If I had absolute faith in a guy with 3000 posts I wouldn't bother aging them and would bin them already.

Its no big deal really, monte 4s are one of the cheapest Cubans so i'll just buy another box in the meantime. Monte 4s are renound for their inconsistency the world over due to their high production volume and inexperienced rollers starting out on the humble 4. Its not a huge stretch of the imagination that I bought a bad box and ageing will do nothing for them. You cant polish a ****.

• Like 1

Monte 4s are renound for their inconsistency the world over due to their high production volume and inexperienced rollers starting out on the humble 4. Its not a huge stretch of the imagination that I bought a bad box and ageing will do nothing for them.

Absolutely. You're not the first one to get a box of Monte4 that look ok, are decently rolled but don't taste like Montecristo's should taste.

Is it the tobacco or is it the blend (since it's not the construction), we have no clue...

I love fresh cigars before it hits the sick period - you get a really good preview of what the cigar will turn into before it hides for a year or two. As for Monte #4, I still don't know what a Monte 4 is supposed to taste like. It's rolled everywhere, so I'm guessing it should taste as generic as a Cuban cigar can taste, in order to produce consistency.