'88 RyJ Belvederes

Thanks to a kind brother from the GWN, sampled a 25 year old Belvederes this afternoon.

Unwrapped from the cello and clipped the end. Rough and mottled cocoa brown wrapper with a couple of rough veins.
Firm construction, obvious box press, taper to the foot.
2014-07-25181813_zps7ada5cce.jpg
Smells of musty tobacco. Draw has just the right resistance.
Pre-light most prominent flavor is Uni, I've had this before, not quite sure how best to describe other than kind of like how a tidal pool smells. Bit of woodiness, more balsa than cedar.
Fire it up with a soft flame. Sweet and salty on the lips, medium smoke production. Fairly muted at the onset.
Lighter bodied with minimal finish.
Perfect burn line, solid very light grey ash
2014-07-25183412_zpsacb29965.jpg
Hints of stonefruit, some sourness, faint woodiness. Bit of slickness on the palate, mid-tongue.
Very mild on the retro, very smooth smoke - shows its age.
Picks up a little at the midpoint, more woodiness coming to play, finish holds a bit longer. Sort of a light Karo syrup sweetness.
There's a definite mustiness that reminds me of a German WWII cigar I smoked around 15 years ago. Mushroom-like.
2014-07-25190850_zps76121fa1.jpg
Put it out right about an hour after the start. The after finish hung on for quite a while with that salty Uni-like taste from the cold draw.
Interesting diversion. Will sample another as a morning smoke to make a final determination on these.
  • Like 4

Uni (oo-nee) is the Japanese name for the edible part of the Sea Urchin. While colloquially referred to as the roe (eggs), uni is actually the animal’s gonads (which produce the milt or roe). Uni ranges in color from rich gold to light yellow, and has a creamy consistency that some love and is off-putting to others. It is nevertheless one sushi item that is in incredible demand around the world, which is reflected in its price. Sea Urchins are a rare treat for those who acquire a taste. Uni sushi has a light, sweet, and somewhat briny flavor and is is usually enjoyed as nigiri sushi or sashimi. Uni is also sometimes served with a raw quail egg. Uni is also considered an aphrodisiac by some.

Uni_zps02b90608.jpg

I din't realize I was eating gonads until I pulled this up! lookaround.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Revisited this particular cigar this evening and must say, very good but quite different experience than the first.

After smoking a couple of more robust youngsters and sipping some Scotch thought why not, let's give it a go.

Truly amazing how the flavors came through. More cream and cocoa, a little baking spice, cedar and floral notes - no uni except on cold draw.

The wife commented on how nice it smelled so I encouraged her to take a puff, which she'll do from time to time. Asked her what she thought/tasted. First comments were mild and 'smoky', then after a moment, 'cinnamon'!

I think she'd developing a palate - may have to start locking the humidor!

Told her it was a cheap machine-made cigar, though about the same age as our children.

Not bad, not bad at all....

• Like 2

Sea urchin's balls, that's a taste-thought that I'm going to have trouble getting out my head trying to sleep tonight!!

creamy consistency..... :D

Don't knock it till you try it - I for one find it divine :)

• Like 1