Looking for some CC direction based off my experience years ago...

As mentioned in previous posts (and in talking to a couple members), I used to smoke cigars back in 2004-2008. I never purchased any boxes at that time, I was more into singles and I had some good rapport that allowed me to buy stock from some guys who were always looking to clean out their humidor!

Anyway, back then i really got into the following sticks:

Bolivar PC

Partagas PSD4

ERDM Choix Supreme

San Cristobal Principle

Mag46

RASS

The Boli and RASS were my favorite stick... the Boli more so. But the guy i was getting them from, the majority of those sticks were from 1998!

Anyway, as I start to venture back into cigars, and start to seek out appropriate box splits and such, I'm wondering if any of these sticks have gone down in quality over the years. I understand those Boli's were a different animal with the age, but not all the sticks I smoked were ages, some were a couple years fresh.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I don't personally know about the quality or of its gone down but cubano's suggestion is a good one. Just get a few singles, try them out and get a load more of what you enjoy!

If you're interested in cigars from around that time, I do know a place currently stocking '99 Boli Inmensas. It's based in the UK so already has UK duties paid (not very cheap) and they can't ship to the USA but if you want any more details just drop me a PM.

In the past few years these are sticks with great quality smoking wonderfully fresh in the 12'-14' box codes from my experience. Many of these are forum favorites you can find appearing in monthly sales at top handpicked quality

Bolivar PC Seldom disappointed

Partagas PSD4 PE/HQ only. Too much variance in quality.

ERDM Choix Supreme same as above

San Cristobal Principle generally good. Sometimes brilliant.

Mag46 Same as above.

RASS PE/HQ only. Too much variance in quality.

Bolivar PC Seldom disappointed

Partagas PSD4 PE/HQ only. Too much variance in quality.

ERDM Choix Supreme same as above

San Cristobal Principle generally good. Sometimes brilliant.

Mag46 Same as above.

RASS PE/HQ only. Too much variance in quality.

^ I'm not sure how credible this guy is, or how much he knows about cigars, but I would give what he says a shot.

rotfl.gifok.gifmoon.gif

• Like 1

You are looking for ghosts. Only advice I would give is to not have any expectations when trying these newer cigars.

Agreed. Expectation is the killer be it a PL Panetela or a Partagas Gran Lusitania. Sit back. Enjoy with a mate if you can. The cigar is always the cross on the "T" the dot on the "i". If it is good enough it will force you to prop, stop and pay attention. Then you have a brilliant cigar.

• Like 3

Well said gents... I appreciate all the feedback! I'm leaning towards the monte4's since that name continues to popup. Might have to try and organize a little split! That or make sure the wife doesn't find out...

Havent had too much luck with neither RA or boli constructionwise in last boxes

All the RA I've got recently has been fantastic, but it is all either hand picked by Rob or PE/HQ/PSP. I did get some boli PCs where the wrappers were a tiny bit rough in a sampler though they have drawn beautifully and tasted great.

Just another demonstration why Czars is awesome

• Like 1

never had a bad Boli pc after many boxes.

current Principe have been excellent for me.

Mag 46 are good but a little lighter than I remember from 2008-2010.

Parti d4.RASS and Choix have been spotty, as the Pres. stated.

The only luck I have had with any of those you mentioned has been partp4 and only when bought my hand selections from Rob. Buying blind I have had terrible luck. The best for me have been

Juan Lopez 2

Hoyo 2

St Luis Rey regas

H upmann royal robusto

H upmann mag 46 and 50

Man, pretty amazing resource for knowledge just coming from this one thread!

really good guys on this board for that