Cedar

MarkofStark

So I am getting ready to finish up with my ghetto tupperdore and I was thinking. I have a pack of untreated cedar planks for my grill still in the package. Now obviously its not spanish cedar but it still has that nice cedar smell, I was thinking about maybe laying some on the bottom and along the sides of the tupperdore after wiping down the sides with water and after placing the extra sheets of spanish cedar and broken down boxes in to help.

What do you think?

I was really tempted to do this with my coolidors but decided against it. Your boxes are perfect little cigar environments so if you do it, its more for aesthetics than anything else. If you have a lot of singles (as I do in my NC coolidor), cedar trays are great but I didn't put any extra cedar along the bottom or the sides.

As far as 'non spanish cedar', I will let the more experienced respond as I don't know the problems other types of woods can cause.

FYI, I used to think my coolidors were ghetto also but it turns out, I love them. I got rid of 5 desktop humidors and now have 2 150 qt coolidors. I use beads and have never had any problems. In fact, they seem to work better than any humidor I have ever used. Great seal, excellent humidity control, and I keep my house at 69 degrees year around.

Best of luck.

Dont use those grill planks. They're far more aromatic than "Spanish Cedar". Go to a B&M and see if they have some cedar sheets from boxes laying around. I use them in tupperdores too. Don't wet down any sides, etc. Let the cedar absorb moisture over time.

Dont use those grill planks. They're far more aromatic than "Spanish Cedar". Go to a B&M and see if they have some cedar sheets from boxes laying around. I use them in tupperdores too. Don't wet down any sides, etc. Let the cedar absorb moisture over time.

Yeah I was wondering if the smell would be too much for them. Thanks!

Spanish cedar is hard to find now, it's becoming more and more controlled. Mahogany is getting hard now too.

If you can't find either, you could try Sapele, an african mahogany, very close in grain, colour, moisture performance and smell to Spanish Cedar.

Actually I have a feeling that it's Sapele that the sheets in cigar boxes are made of now rather than Spanish Cedar.

The aroma of Red Cedar and the taste of Red Cedar are totally two different things! If you want your cigars to taste just like what the Red Cedar smells like then go ahead and do it, but I would advise against it!

As Ryan implicitly stated, I will reiterate :

SPANISH CEDAR IS NOT CEDAR. It's actually closer to the mahogany family. Cannot stress this enough.

Your best bet is fleabaying a few empty boxes (SLB) and using those to stabilise your tupper :)

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

Some aromatic cedars (in name only) are apart of the juniper family of woods. These woods contain toxins (cedrol if I am not mistaken) whereas these toxins and not the aroma are the likely reasons why certain pests avoid the these woods.

Substitute mahogany freely, but do not substitute aromatic cedars!

Just my 2cts! -Piggy