Cigar Cuttings and pipes

Recently I've been thinking about trying out smoking a pipe. I know cigars will always take first place without a doubt, but I need to try pipe smoking, at least just to satisy my curiosity.

The last few months, I've been saving my cigar cuttings in a ziplock bag. I'm now cutting right down to the bottom cap in order to collect as much tobacco as possible without affecting the construction. I've collected nearly 20g of cuban tobacco so far from over 30 different cigars. I can't wait to try it when my pipe arrives later this week.

Does anyone else smoke a pipe, and if so do you also collect cigar cuttings for a cuban pipe blend?

IMG_20140315_092725_zpseb3426dc.jpg

I'm interested in this too..

After noticing the amount of tobacco in my ashtray/on the garage floor I thought of saving it also, I started collecting the cuttings before Christmas and now have around 60g (A few completely plugged cigars that you couldn't even cold draw through got chopped up too) I was shocked to see how much you really do throw away!

I have toyed with the idea of a pipe just for this reason but still unsure, I don't have any knowledge regarding pipes and pipe smoking and not really interested in buying pipe tobacco etc.. It would be purely for cigar cuttings.

There's a reason they sell pipe tobacco.......

Buy some nice pipe tobacco and put those scraps in the trash......unless you want to relive the last days of WWII on the front.

Yep. I would ditch the scraps also. A nice virginia pipe tobacco (eg. Dunhill Light Flake, Reiner Long Golden Flake) would be much better, but whatever you do stay away from those God awful aromatics.

It's funny you bring this up... My father is an avid pipe smoker and collector of many types of pipe tobacco including Virginia's, Latakia, Burleys, etc. He actually approached me today and asked me to save my CC clippings so he can mix them with his pipe tobacco and create a blend. He said he got the idea from other pipe smokers and depending on the pipe tobacco used, it can actually create a seriously good smoking blend.

This is my suggestion: smoke a pipe as it was originally intended. See how you like it and at least you can get a feel for the different tobacco's and blends offered.. If you get into it, add the cigar clippings to the tobacco and see how you like it..

Good advice in the above. Cut down on cost with a corncob pipe, they are dirt cheap, but don't underestimate their ability to give a satisfying smoke. For a cigar smoker I would recommend trying some form of English Blend - campfire and bacon. Hmmm. It took me about a dozen pipefuls to get the hang of filling the bowl properly. I find pipes more fussy than cigars, but they are handy when you want a shorter smoke. Still prefer a cigar. Haven't had any success using shredded plugged cigars. I find it gives a harsh smoke.

To me smoking is about a blend of tobacco. I would never even think of smoking cigar circumcisions as all you will be smoking is wrapper. I doubt it would be very good, but if you try it let us know how it goes!

I do however cut up whole cigars that are plugged, make sure the tobacco is mixed well and smoke that in my pipe. I find to get a good experience you have to pack it in really well almost to the point of plugging it. I also mix cigar tobacco with common pipe tobacco and i like that as well. And i only have a corn cob pipe and it works great for me, not that i use it too regularly.

The clips alone aren't vey good (a bit harsh), but they can be used to enhance or reinforce a pipe blend that lacks structure. I have better result with slices of plugged cigars, to give a bit extra strenght to latakia blends…

Back in the late 1990s and when I got into pipes for a while, I smoked some Cuban pipe tobacco from Partagas. Man it was harsh. (See link below)

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2526/partagas-cifuentes-y-cia-partagas-picadura-granulata

I loved a good English blend, but one that was not too smokey.

See if you can find a local tobacconist that is skilled in blending pipe tobacco. Go talk with him and let him "school" you on all the great pipe tobaccos and what to expect from them.