PLPC question

I have a box of plpc (OSR DIC 2011) that I bought blind before I discovered FOH, and Rob's hand picked boxes that I've yet to be anything but thrilled with. Haven't selected many boxes in mt time, but if pressed, I would have to say that it is a good PE box - not a lot of oil in most of the wrappers, but damn good construction and pretty good aroma as well.

So my question is - I really want a good box to age to that five year mark to see what aged plpc are all about and I go back and forth about whether this box is up for it. Just had one, and while it was pleasant and smooth for the first 2/3rd's, it was mostly toasted tobacco and not much else.

Any advice? Anyone with a lot of experience with this stick know what to look for/how to tell?

Thanks as always!

That box already has 2+ years on it. It's not going to improve that much in my opinion. I would find a box that tastes great young and age those. A good PLPC should be quite flavorful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 years isn't that long in cigars terms. Give them time they'll get there.

I'm a huge fan of Robs PE/HQ/PSP boxes and while its nice to have oily wrappers it isn't the be all and end all, some of the best cigars I've smoked have looked terrible and vise versa. You'll only know for sure when you smoke them, if they ain't doing it for you now leave them and try again in another few months. smile.png

That box already has 2+ years on it. It's not going to improve that much in my opinion.

Of course it will improve. A 2 years old PLPC is not very different from a 3 months old one. That, and the fact that they can be rather poor at this age, is the reason they have the reputation to need a looooong aging time…

You can't disparage a box just like that, after the OP have smoked only one…

Of course it will improve. A 2 years old PLPC is not very different from a 3 months old one. That, and the fact that they can be rather poor at this age, is the reason they have the reputation to need a looooong aging time…

Of course It will improve but it sounds to me that he could find a better box to age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify - I meant I just smoked one this afternoon, not I've only smoked one. I've probably smoked 3-4. All of them being perfectly pleasant, but nothing special.

This thread, right here. This is the death of Cuban cigars, as many of us have witnessed for however many years (relative to experience). Expecting a cigar out the box to be perfect, not giving a cigar a chance to make a case for itself...the instant gratification culture of the NC world has truly destroyed whatever Cuba had left. At least now we have 6 month old cigars that smoke like they are 4 years old ROTT and still taste like 4 yrs old 2 years later!

We should all just smoke e-cigarettes.

• Like 2

This thread, right here. This is the death of Cuban cigars, as many of us have witnessed for however many years (relative to experience). Expecting a cigar out the box to be perfect, not giving a cigar a chance to make a case for itself...the instant gratification culture of the NC world has truly destroyed whatever Cuba had left. At least now we have 6 month old cigars that smoke like they are 4 years old ROTT and still taste like 4 yrs old 2 years later!

With all due respect, I never said I expected it to be great out of the box. Was looking for some valuable insight into whether it may or may no be great down the line.

Seriously, who wants to wait 5 years before a cigar is enjoyable? Life is far too short to wait when you don't know when your time on Earth is up. My wife certainly will not smoke my aged stash when I'm 6 foot under, LOL!!

Seriously, who wants to wait 5 years before a cigar is enjoyable? Life is far too short to wait when you don't know when your time on Earth is up. My wife certainly will not smoke my aged stash when I'm 6 foot under, LOL!!

My wife would prefer to bury my stash six feet under right nowpeace.gif

Oh you'd like to get into Cuban cigars? Well, what you need to do is drop two or three grand on specially hand-picked, magic boxes and shove them in your closet for five or seven years.

Me. And I'm probably older than you. And all the smokers who know what to expect and are not spoiled by the instant gratification culture.

Me too.

I'm well into my 60s, and still buy boxes that I intend to lay down for many years.

Most of what I smoke these days is 7+ years old,

and I generally enjoy them much more than what I have been sampling from recent purchases.

Perhaps it takes a certain maturity to learn patience,

but if you expect smoking will be a long term passion,

do yourself a favour, and buy more than you smoke.

• Like 1

Oh you'd like to get into Cuban cigars? Well, what you need to do is drop two or three grand on specially hand-picked, magic boxes and shove them in your closet for five or seven years.

In spite of the apparent sarcasm, that is basically correct.

If you like to drink fine wine, you can either spend big money on aged bottles,

or, if you have decent storage conditions, buy them young at the opening price,

and enjoy them in their prime.

Works for me, on both counts.

• Like 1

+10, well said...

• Like 1

The main apeal of CC's to me is the aging potential of most of the sticks

When I first really got into cigars I was buying 90% NC's. I still have a few of the very first boxes i bought 5 years ago an they are now bland and tasteless.

It can take me up to 5 years to smoke through a whole box so now i buy CC's because i know that there is a good chance they will still be smoking well in the future

If i want something to smoke right now, I'll buy a 5'er of NC's while I let my PLPC's rest for a bit longer.

I'm not saying all CC's have to be aged, but from my experence a 12 month rest after buying them tends to do wonders for a good CC.

If you have the storeage to stash a few of your fav boxes for a few years, there are rewards to be reaped.

If you are only buying enough cigars to last you til your next re-order, perhaps NC's are more up your ally.

I heard a good point of view on the Stogie Geeks last week

I'm paraphrasing a little here but this is a quote from Andrea Farkas of Viaje:

"If you look at the wine world, people will hapilly buy a bottle or a case of wine with the intention of letting it age for a long period of time, but in the cigar world it seems people want thier cigar to be all it can be the day they buy it and tend shy away from cigars that may need a few more months in the humidor before they are starting to find thier feet. Its a culture that really needs to change if people want to understand how tobacco works and all it can be"

• Like 3

Perhaps it takes a certain maturity to learn patience,

This. ^^

When I first started smoking Cubans I wanted everything to taste great now. From that same instant gratification culture (I was only 24 at the time) I used to rubbish the argument for aging, but you learn. Its a constant learning curve smoking CC's getting to know the tobacco more intimately.

A NC to me is like walking into a fast food joint ordering your food and out the door in 5 minutes. Done.

Cubans are more akin to going to the market picking out your ingredients, preparing them, sitting by the stove for hours cooking allowing the flavours to mature/develop etc..etc.. you get the picture.

• Like 1

It must have been a long five years between buying that first bottle of wine and having your first sip of wine. Good thing you ended up liking wine, right?

PLPC is the cigar which would leave a huge smile on your face if you had the patience for 5+yrs. If you like it now, smoke them. If not, then wait and you won't regret it. If you like it now but have more stash to go through, well be patiente. Basically do what you want but PLPC is a typical 5+ cigar for most of us.

It must have been a long five years between buying that first bottle of wine and having your first sip of wine. Good thing you ended up liking wine, right?

Pretty sure if you waited 5 years to find out you didnt like cigars you'd always get your money back.

I seldom see aged PLPCs turn up on the secondary market, and I've been looking for a while.

I figured the huge aging potential is one of the reasons you can only get PLPCs in a 50 cab.

Smoke half a cab, rest half a cab

Buy another cab and repeat

At around $4us a stick its not a huge commitment when compared to other sticks that need 5 years to open up (I'm looking at you, Esplindidos)

• Like 1

Most of the world's wines are ready to drink the day they are purchased,

which is how most people consume wine.

Many mid-level bottles improve greatly with a few years of cellar time.

The best of the best, though, can take 10-20+ years before they can justify their high prices.

To open a top 2010 bordeaux now would be a waste of good wine and good money.

Recently, I opened a 1986 Pichon Lalande, and found it still too young.

Luckily, I still have a few more.

Meanwhile, the 2012 cru beaujolais are drinking beautifully...

Building a cigar stock (or collection, if you prefer)

is much like building a wine cellar.

It starts slowly, then picks up momentum as the passion develops.

By tasting, reading, and sharing with like-minded friends,

over time one discovers the benefits of patience and foresight.

When I bought my first box of PLPC, I detested them.

But by reading comments from the BOTLs on this site,

I realised that all they needed was time.

Five years later, they are among my favorite cigars.

• Like 1