How to fix a plug?

Yes, you are right about my approach. I consider a tight draw, a tight draw and a plugged cigar a plugged cigar. They are two different things and I do distinguish the difference.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the plugged issue. No skin off my nose. I thank you for sticking with it and taking a cigar specific perspective. I generally think on the lines of simple mechanical ideology. I see a cross section of a cigar and the tobacco that fills it. I see a density that I consider optimum and when that density is applied across different ring gauges, it adds to less pathways and open space in a smaller cigar simply due to the fact that the thickness of tobacco can be considered a constant (for my estimation).

I am interested in the opinions of other based on your analysis. I thought it was Rob that told me that thinner ring cigars are actually more difficult to roll and require better rollers to perform the job and that rationalized their higher cost, cost/gram of tobacco. It was the only rationale that made sense to me when I compared the typical robusto and its corresponding weight in tobacco verses a cigar such as the Monte Esp. I always attributed the cost to the box… and a mistaken approach to marketing, but I am not an expert at cigar production methods.

No worries, I am speaking broadly to cover all the basis. As for smaller ring gauge, I made the distinction of sub lancero length variety. The long cigars and figurados have a higher level of difficulty, and I was making a point regarding grade 5-7 production that is a range of PC to corona to cg (not withstanding the bigger rg of robusto to dobles). We are not disagreeing, just making a distinction.

I fix a plug by tossing the cigar. Seriously, if a cigar doesn't draw nothing you do is going to fix it. But if a cigar has a tight draw I will use a homemade tool made from a large sewing needle. If after a couple of tries it doesn't improve the draw to the point I am enjoying the experience I toss it. I just have no patience to spend more than 5 minutes on a tight draw. Life is too short! On to the next one smile.png

• Like 2

I tried that with some RG Lonsdales from 2001 without results. Had to throw away most of the box.

The fridge trick works for slightly overfilled cigars that will draw with difficulty, it doesn't work for plugged cigars (very overfilled, or with a knot in the filler).

RG lonsdales from 99/00/01 generaly belong to the second category. In the early 2000's finding a well made RG lonsdale was a challenge.

i guess I need to try that fridge trick. Why does that seem to work?

The condenser of a refrigerator lowers the temp, and because it is below the dew point, the moisture condenses into water. Basically your fridge sucks humidity out of whatever is in it. The cigar dries out, tobacco thins in volume, and is tad easier to draw.

• Like 1

The condenser of a refrigerator lowers the temp, and because it is below the dew point, the moisture condenses into water. Basically your fridge sucks humidity out of whatever is in it. The cigar dries out, tobacco thins in volume, and is tad easier to draw.

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.. will definitely remember this and attempt in the future (*crosses fingers* hoping I don't have to)