Somebody stop me from freaking out.

I just completed a routine cigar inspection and a few cigars in my box of 06 RASCC had a few spots of white mold on the cap.

It wiped off with the slightest of touches with a clean hand towel.

I'm 99% sure they are fine.

Who's gonna give me that extra 1% assurance? Lol

I've been doing this long enough to know the drill but there's always that tiny minuscule bit of doubt! Lol

I'm going to have a beer.

Thanks

I prefer a small, medium stiff, paint brush. Have had white mold on boxes from Canada and Germany but never Oz. Apparently there are so many dangerous, poisonous things in Australia that the mold is scared to go there. At least that's the theory I'm working with. There's a slight possibility that it actually has something to do with Rob's inspections and quality control . . . nah! tongue.png

A box of 2011 A/T Churchills I got from our Canadian friends came with a fair amount of white mold all along the sticks (but none in the foot) brushed up just fine, and showed no signs of regrowth even back in their own tubes because of proper humidor storage. They all later smoked absolutely fantastic. cigar.gif

Remember where these things are rolled (it ain't in no 'clean room' environment), and it's no surprise they get mold spores on them. It's just bad storage enroute or in warehouse that lets the stuff blossom. Even putting the cigars in tube too moist can get it started only to have it halt as they come down to proper rH.

Remember where these things are rolled, and it's no surprise they get mold spores on them.

The place where they are rolled has nothing to do with it. Mold can occur on cigars from all countries, rolled on completely different factories…

I have seen white mold in almost each large cigar shop I have visited.

Thanks fort that guys.

The only thing bothering me is that my aristocrat has been solid and I wouldn't say the conditions have changed to exacerbate mold growth...

Curiouser and curiouser... Lol

The RASCC where layed down for a deep sleep, I think I'm gonna smoke the first one tomorrow as I think they have had long enough.

What's this I keep hearing about alcohol rubs etc? Overkill?

Is this where Im supposed to jokingly say "send them to me for inspection"? :D

White mild is harmless. The spores are everywhere all the time. Wipe the growth off, and don't sweat it. Alcohol is overkill unless you have a lot of mold. Quintero's theory makes a lot of sense to me.

If your fear is that the mold bloomed after they had been in your humi then you do have something to be concerned about. Your Aristocrat should not be set at levels that encourage mold. What temperature and humidity system does it have? Just humidity?

No problem at all wipe it off, the caps are touched a lot more by the roller during the application compared to the rest of the cigar. The roller of those few cigars probably just like to pick his nose :P

Hi cap, didn't managed to thank you when you gave me the same advice on different thread a cpl of weeks ago. Thanks mate, really put my mind at ease after that.

• Like 1

If your fear is that the mold bloomed after they had been in your humi then you do have something to be concerned about. Your Aristocrat should not be set at levels that encourage mold. What temperature and humidity system does it have? Just humidity?

This..........is...............relevant..........time to freak out................

This..........is...............relevant..........time to freak out................

Emmmm I don't think so guys...

My humidor is monitored very stringently and can confidently say the humidity has been at a constant 65% with it never actually peaking above 68% even in warmer humid days.

I use several regularly calibrated hygrometers throughout the humi, each adjusted to reflect actual RH, all calibrated using tried and tested boveda calibration kit. Re circulation fan runs every 3 hours for 10 mins.

As for the temp: i live in Ireland for Christs sake...

This is isolated to one box, the oldest in my stock and one of which I acquired when I was in havana, I have wiped the few cigars down and got on with it.

Thanks for all input folks.

Ireland = good . . . but is your Aristocrat temperature controlled? Or just humidity controlled?

A decline in temperature will first bring the rH up as you come closer to dew point, before the colder air causes the (now) excess humidity to precipitate out. A box of sticks with proper humidity will end up over humidified as the temp drops, only to have that moisture absorbed by the sticks themselves. Your circulation fans won't be able to fix this if the stogies are in their box. Stable temp is important for stable rH. Could be you just got one box in one corner that peaked just enough to get things blooming. doesn't sound like you have a massive problem.

Below are pics of white mold on a box of Churchills (NOT from Czar) that was brushed off and the sticks were still mighty tasty:

post-18301-0-74110000-1393822751_thumb.j

Hey Stevie, I'm curious if the cigars were in dress boxes or cedar sliding lid cabs? I've (fortunately) only seen mold on cigars in dress boxes or tubes and am wondering if that has anything to do with it....

Overall, glad to hear it wasn't bugs.... Holy crap that's some traumatic stuff to see, will result in nightmares and constantly imagining them crawling all over everything....